Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Sharing DVD player over local network?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Sharing DVD player over local network? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Problem: On my Gentoo laptop, the DVD player has broken down. I also have an older laptop, with Kubuntu on it, that still has a working DVD player.

So, I was wondering if it is possible to share the DVD player over a local network. On OS X this has been possible since Tiger (so, since around 2005). And since OS X is basically just unix with a nice shell, I figured that it should be possible on Linux, but I'm not sure how as I've never looked into it.

Does anyone have tips?

Last edited by Q-collective on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about sharing a drive, but if you put in a disc and mount it, you can share it just like any other mounted filesystem.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
I don't know about sharing a drive, but if you put in a disc and mount it, you can share it just like any other mounted filesystem.

I think that amounts to the same thing.

But how? I mean, could I just open the drive via ssh (or fish in konqueror)?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the kubuntu machine you can, for example, mount your dvd on /mnt/dvd:
Code:
mkdir -p /mnt/dvd; mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd
Then use sshfs to mount /mnt/dvd from your kubuntu machine on to your local machine. For example (after creating an empty directory ~/dvd):
Code:
sshfs login@kubuntu_machine:/mnt/dvd $HOME/dvd

Later, when you want to unmount you can use fusermount. But in order to read the dvd (I presume you want to watch some movie), if I am not mistaken, it must not have any encryption on it. You could search in Google to check if mplayer, xine or vlc can decrypt and play mounted dvds.

EDIT: Actually I am not sure if your sshfs will actually be able to see the contents of the dvd even after you have mounted it on /mnt/dvd. The contents are local to that kubuntu machine. I have never done this sort of thing, so I can only speculate. :)

EDIT 2: Look at network block device. It seems to be what you really need.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
On the kubuntu machine you can, for example, mount your dvd on /mnt/dvd:
Code:
mkdir -p /mnt/dvd; mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd
Then use sshfs to mount /mnt/dvd from your kubuntu machine on to your local machine. For example (after creating an empty directory ~/dvd):
Code:
sshfs login@kubuntu_machine:/mnt/dvd $HOME/dvd

Later, when you want to unmount you can use fusermount. But in order to read the dvd (I presume you want to watch some movie), if I am not mistaken, it must not have any encryption on it. You could search in Google to check if mplayer, xine or vlc can decrypt and play mounted dvds.

EDIT: Actually I am not sure if your sshfs will actually be able to see the contents of the dvd even after you have mounted it on /mnt/dvd. The contents are local to that kubuntu machine. I have never done this sort of thing, so I can only speculate. :)

EDIT 2: Look at network block device. It seems to be what you really need.

Thanks so far!

However, when I enter the command:
Code:
sshfs [USER]@[LOCAL IP ADDRESS]:/media/RTCW $HOME/dvd

I get:
Code:
read: Connection reset by peer

I've doublechecked the ip address of my kubuntu machine, so I'm not sure what goes wrong?

Edit:
Ok, I'm stupid. I didn't install ssh on Kubuntu yet (recently did a fresh 12.10 install).

Anyway, now I can see the cd rom contents (it's a game, rtcw), however, when I try to open the Setup.exe in Wine I get:
Code:
$ wine Setup.exe
err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows" could not be created, error 2
err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" could not be created, error 3
err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\syswow64" could not be created, error 3
err:file:init_redirects cannot open L"C:\\windows" (c000000f)
err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows" could not be created, error 2
err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" could not be created, error 3
err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\syswow64" could not be created, error 3
err:wineboot:main Cannot set the dir to L"C:\\windows" (2)
err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (2)
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"MountMgr" failed to start: 3
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"PlugPlay" failed to start: 2
wine: cannot find L"unix\\home\\spark\\dvd\\Setup.exe"

I doubt this still has to do with my original question, but I gather I'll post it inhere anyway.

Edit 2:
Ok, removing the ~ /.wine directory seems to have solved this issue. I guess there was a configuration issue somewhere.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: