Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Have the forums been having issues lately?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had issues the last two days. I added opendns [1] to my resolv.conf and it got a lot better.

schorsch

[1] http://www.opendns.com/opendns-ip-addresses
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to "unable to connect" (while being able to ping, so I supposed that's an http error), I've had "could not obtain topic watch information", and, when posting, "no post mode", "unable to insert new word", and even something like "unable to look up email something or other". :lol:
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database setup was having problems (note the specificity, as in utter lack of), we do not know quite why, and the only person who can/does fix it was largely otherwise occupied. I would have replied earlier, but I kept getting dropped connections or error messages when I was around and not busy with spammers; technically, I was getting errors and dropped connections even when I was busy with spammers.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Har... 8)
BoneKracker wrote:
My intuition says it's the database, with things backing up from there.

Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my subjective assessments of the symptoms on my netbook.

Things related to search_id= egosearch, newposts , and so on are what cause the hangs. Sometimes I will get a response to viewtopic-...-view-newest after a minute or two. Whereas queries such as search_id=last go OK.

I thought it might be due to corruption of my browser cookies for forums.gentoo.org, so I deleted them all, but it didn't appear to make any difference.

All that said, it might be down to my ASDL connection, which has been throwing errors and gradually getting slower.

I also have a feeling that rekonq doesn't handle the errors/timeouts too well, compared to konqueror.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any of these problems lately (i.e., since maybe a day after my previous post in this thread). Thank you, whoever resolved this.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No total blackouts in days, that's true. Still, I've got the occasional missing image and sluggishness, but it's always been at least useable. So from me, too, thx.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having unprecedented errors, like "Error doing DB query userdata row fetch".
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly that error once today, and had one "unable to connect". Still, that's better than not being able to get in for a half hour, or losing the contents of a new post.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
FWIW, my subjective assessments of the symptoms on my netbook.

Things related to search_id= egosearch, newposts , and so on are what cause the hangs. Sometimes I will get a response to viewtopic-...-view-newest after a minute or two. Whereas queries such as search_id=last go OK.

I thought it might be due to corruption of my browser cookies for forums.gentoo.org, so I deleted them all, but it didn't appear to make any difference.

All that said, it might be down to my ASDL connection, which has been throwing errors and gradually getting slower.

I also have a feeling that rekonq doesn't handle the errors/timeouts too well, compared to konqueror.
That seems more like database sluggishness, but so far as I know it is not generally acting that way. With some more data, and perhaps a few other users of the same browser, we might be able to figure out whether it is client side or if it is a sign of more things that need fixed on the server side.

BoneKracker wrote:
I haven't had any of these problems lately (i.e., since maybe a day after my previous post in this thread). Thank you, whoever resolved this.
Not so much fixed, yet, as the heisenbug has decided to flit away for a while, probably due to improved instrumenting and perhaps a few traps set for what appears to be its larval state.

Jaglover wrote:
I'm having unprecedented errors, like "Error doing DB query userdata row fetch".
If that was around the time of your posting it might be associated with the database backup, either way that usually means either the database is too busy, which essentially should not happen given the system it is on, or there is some locking in place preventing the query from properly completing, which also should not be happening outside of the backup window. Unfortunately, both of those cases are known to happen when they should not, we just need to figure out why.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now something new (well, actually it started yesterday or maybe a day or two earlier, but I thought it was something I'd done).

Looking at search_id=newposts ("View posts since last visit"), I get a list of 80-odd items. Choose any one of them and go to viewtopic-t-...-view-newest.html (i.e. click on the little yellow document icon), and I get "No new posts since your last visit". Wish you'd make your mind up :-)

Same result in the original list for clicking on search_id=...&start=50 (i.e. go to the next page of posts since last visit). There should be another 30 or so.

I dunno if it helps, but I've noticed that if I click on a new topic (rather than the latest posts on an old topic), normally the next time I visit, my browser flags up that topic in the "previously visited web URL" colour (a lighter blue, IIRC). That's to be expected. What isn't is that this behaviour is erratic, and occaisionally it flags up completely unvisited topics, so I wonder if the forums server sometimes renumbers the topics. Not that it's a big issue, but there's something a bit flakey here. Not sure if it's happening at the moment, as I usually click on the latest posts icon rather than the new topic title.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today ihe second page (should be 17 entries) of posts from last 24 hours is "No topics or posts met your search criteria."

And to pick a nit, that should be "criterion".

<edit>
OOh, interesting, sumitting this reply just gave "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.".
So maybe there's a problem with session cookies.
Let's hope my resubmission works.
</edit>

<edit>
So the resubmission worked. In fact there were a couple of typos, so I corrected them with a proper Edit of the port - the "edit" referred to above was to the initial post where the submission failed.

Anyway, that having worked, I went back and refreshed the "pasts from the last 24 hours", and this time got 68 items, and both the first and second pages work.

hope that helps somebody.
</edit>
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: