Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gnome Shell 3.4 and Nvidia - memory leak?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Gnome Shell 3.4 and Nvidia - memory leak? Reply with quote

I've noticed that gnome shell uses MUCH more memory on my pc that has an Nvidia gpu (proprietary driver) than it does on my Intel gpu laptop.

With the Intel laptop gnome-shell stays at around 130MB, but on the nvidia+gnome-shell one it starts at around 200MB and quickly increases to 300MB after a few minutes of web browsing with chromium. I left it on for more than a day (with just deluge-gtk running in this instance) and gnome-shell was using more than 500MB.

Is this normal? Any other nvidia+gnome-shell users out there?

Note: both pc's have four gigabytes of RAM.
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Epsilon.
This is very peculiar.
My computer is on 24/7 as I crunch workunits for the BOINC project (Cosmology@Home to be specific), and this is a memory intensive application.
After reading your post, I checked out gnome-shell memory consumption, and it is currently sitting at 104Mb.
If it is worth anything, I am using nvidia-drivers-304.37-r1
If I use a newer nvidia-driver I tend to see lots of segfaults with the opera browser, and strange other lock ups with my system.
I was forced to switch back the driver because my system was needing a hard reboot at least 3 times a day.
Which is bad IMO.
If I choose an earlier nvidia-driver, then I lose my consoles. :roll:
I have read on these forums that people have had issues with high CPU consumption because they were using a theme other than the default "Adwaita".
However, I do realise you are seeing high memory consumption with gnome-shell as opposed to high CPU.
Try other nvidia-drivers and see if that changes anything.
It might also be worthwhile looking into your kernel config.

I will also add, if I use the nouveau driver, as opposed to nvidia, then my system in general uses much less memory.
I think the nvidia binary does use more RAM. But regardless of what driver, the gnome-shell memory footprint is never really above 100Mb.
(Otherwise I would have noticed).
Superfox_il_Volpone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome Shell 3.4 and Nvidia - memory leak? Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
I've noticed that gnome shell uses MUCH more memory on my pc that has an Nvidia gpu (proprietary driver) than it does on my Intel gpu laptop.

With the Intel laptop gnome-shell stays at around 130MB, but on the nvidia+gnome-shell one it starts at around 200MB and quickly increases to 300MB after a few minutes of web browsing with chromium. I left it on for more than a day (with just deluge-gtk running in this instance) and gnome-shell was using more than 500MB.

Is this normal? Any other nvidia+gnome-shell users out there?

Note: both pc's have four gigabytes of RAM.

I have the same configuration, and I do experience the same behaviour; having gnome-shell usage between 200 ~ 300Mb.

bye
- s.fox
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: