Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:

@ahgblopes
Great news you got the new unity-6 to actually start instead of segfault this time.
Unity-5 should still be more stable for you.

Not sure why ccsm has segfaulted but the profile and backend are now incorrect since the addition of the compizconfig profiling and gconf/dconf backends.
If you're using unity-6 the backend should be 'gsettings', and the profile should be 'unity'.
If you're using unity-5 the backend should be 'gconf', and the profile should be 'unity'.

These settings are installed by doing as root:
Code:
emerge --config =compiz-0.9.8.2
(Above example for Unity-6, the actual commandline to be used is shown as a post install message for the relevant compiz version emerged).

The compizconfig profile is set on login to Xorg so you may need to log out and back in again.

We have a problem...

I unmerged ccsm because that problem and, now, when i try to install it again, i get this:

Code:

emerge -avt unity-base/ccsm

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ~] unity-base/ccsm-0.9.5.92::unity-gentoo  0 kB
[blocks B      ] unity-base/ccsm ("unity-base/ccsm" is blocking unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.2)

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(unity-base/ccsm-0.9.5.92::unity-gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    unity-base/ccsm

(unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.2::unity-gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=unity-base/compiz-0.9.7.8 required by (x11-libs/libcompizconfig-0.9.5.94::unity-gentoo, installed)

is there any trick to solve it?
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unity-meta-6.6.0 requires unity-6.6.0 requires >=unity-base/compiz-0.9.8 blocks ccsm, compizconfig-python, compizconfig-backend-gconf, libcompizconfig, compiz-plugins-main

Those blocks are in place because as of compiz-0.9.8, upstream have rolled those packages into the compiz package.
So you don't need to emerge ccsm as it is already provided as part of >=compiz-0.9.8
The same applies to the other blocks listed above.

Hope that helps ;)
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:
unity-meta-6.6.0 requires unity-6.6.0 requires >=unity-base/compiz-0.9.8 blocks ccsm, compizconfig-python, compizconfig-backend-gconf, libcompizconfig, compiz-plugins-main

Those blocks are in place because as of compiz-0.9.8, upstream have rolled those packages into the compiz package.
So you don't need to emerge ccsm as it is already provided as part of >=compiz-0.9.8
The same applies to the other blocks listed above.

Hope that helps ;)

I know it!! In previous versions ccsm worked without install ccsm, but now, if i type "ccsm" i get command not found... :cry:
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:
@Aquous
I was hit with a similar bug to your window titlebar button problem while messing with getting compizconfig profiling and gconf/dconf backends working.
Compiz needs to compile against x11-libs/metacity-99.2.34.1 as it uses it for the window titlebar theming.
Once this was done, the titlebar buttons were fixed.

I've added the overlay metacity-99.2.34.1 ebuild as a dep. for compiz now, so it should be fixed for you by syncing up and doing:
Code:
emerge -1 compiz
That made things worse (even after doing emerge --config compiz and rm'ing all config folders for compiz). All options in ccsm are disabled now. I can enable e.g. window decorations manually, but things don't work right: I can't click any of the window buttons (the mouse cursor turns into a hand when I hover above the buttons and they don't register as being clicked). Also, the fonts in my titlebars are different from what my theme specifies. See screenshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img805/1359/screenshotfrom201210071.png . For now I have no choice but to use GNOME 3 as my main DE as I can't work like this.

The cause of my woes may be that my system is in an inconsistent state - I can't update to unity-5.16:
Code:
$ sudo emerge -uDNva world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

[ebuild     U  ] unity-base/ubuntuone-storage-protocol-4.0.0::unity-gentoo [3.99.92::unity-gentoo] 74 kB
[ebuild     U  ] unity-base/unity-5.16.0::unity-gentoo [5.14.0::unity-gentoo] USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    *] unity-base/evemu-1.0.10::unity-gentoo  400 kB
[ebuild  N    *] unity-base/frame-2.2.4::unity-gentoo  286 kB
[ebuild  N    *] unity-base/grail-3.0.6::unity-gentoo  548 kB
[ebuild  N    *] unity-base/geis-2.2.12::unity-gentoo  437 kB
[ebuild     U  ] unity-base/nux-2.14.1::unity-gentoo [2.14.0::unity-gentoo] USE="-debug% -examples% -tests%" 0 kB
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-frame ("unity-base/utouch-frame" is blocking unity-base/frame-2.2.4)
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-grail ("unity-base/utouch-grail" is blocking unity-base/grail-3.0.6, unity-base/geis-2.2.12)
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-evemu ("unity-base/utouch-evemu" is blocking unity-base/grail-3.0.6, unity-base/evemu-1.0.10, unity-base/frame-2.2.4)
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-frame ("unity-base/utouch-frame" is blocking unity-base/grail-3.0.6)
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-geis ("unity-base/utouch-geis" is blocking unity-base/geis-2.2.12)

Total: 7 packages (3 upgrades, 4 new), Size of downloads: 1,743 kB
Conflict: 5 blocks (5 unsatisfied)

(unity-base/geis-2.2.12::unity-gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    unity-base/geis required by (unity-base/nux-2.14.1::unity-gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by unity-base/geis-2.2.12, required by unity-base/nux-2.14.1, required by unity-base/unity-5.16.0, required by unity-base/unity-lens-files-5.10.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=unity-base/grail-3.0.6 **
#required by unity-base/nux-2.14.1, required by unity-base/unity-5.16.0, required by unity-base/unity-lens-files-5.10.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=unity-base/geis-2.2.12 **
#required by unity-base/frame-2.2.4, required by unity-base/grail-3.0.6, required by unity-base/geis-2.2.12, required by unity-base/nux-2.14.1, required by unity-base/unity-5.16.0, required by unity-base/unity-lens-files-5.10.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=unity-base/evemu-1.0.10 **
#required by unity-base/grail-3.0.6, required by unity-base/geis-2.2.12, required by unity-base/nux-2.14.1, required by unity-base/unity-5.16.0, required by unity-base/unity-lens-files-5.10.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=unity-base/frame-2.2.4 **

NOTE: The --autounmask-keep-masks option will prevent emerge
      from creating package.unmask or ** keyword changes.

Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No]

When I say yes, the same happens, except the ** packages become blockers, meaning the update can't proceed.
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquous wrote:
shiznix wrote:
@Aquous
I was hit with a similar bug to your window titlebar button problem while messing with getting compizconfig profiling and gconf/dconf backends working.
Compiz needs to compile against x11-libs/metacity-99.2.34.1 as it uses it for the window titlebar theming.
Once this was done, the titlebar buttons were fixed.

I've added the overlay metacity-99.2.34.1 ebuild as a dep. for compiz now, so it should be fixed for you by syncing up and doing:
Code:
emerge -1 compiz
That made things worse (even after doing emerge --config compiz and rm'ing all config folders for compiz). All options in ccsm are disabled now. I can enable e.g. window decorations manually, but things don't work right: I can't click any of the window buttons (the mouse cursor turns into a hand when I hover above the buttons and they don't register as being clicked). Also, the fonts in my titlebars are different from what my theme specifies. See screenshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img805/1359/screenshotfrom201210071.png . For now I have no choice but to use GNOME 3 as my main DE as I can't work like this.

The cause of my woes may be that my system is in an inconsistent state - I can't update to unity-5.16:
Code:
$ sudo emerge -uDNva world

[ebuild     U  ] unity-base/ubuntuone-storage-protocol-4.0.0::unity-gentoo [3.99.92::unity-gentoo] 74 kB
[ebuild     U  ] unity-base/unity-5.16.0::unity-gentoo [5.14.0::unity-gentoo] USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    *] unity-base/evemu-1.0.10::unity-gentoo  400 kB
[ebuild  N    *] unity-base/frame-2.2.4::unity-gentoo  286 kB
[ebuild  N    *] unity-base/grail-3.0.6::unity-gentoo  548 kB
[ebuild  N    *] unity-base/geis-2.2.12::unity-gentoo  437 kB
[ebuild     U  ] unity-base/nux-2.14.1::unity-gentoo [2.14.0::unity-gentoo] USE="-debug% -examples% -tests%" 0 kB
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-frame ("unity-base/utouch-frame" is blocking unity-base/frame-2.2.4)
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-grail ("unity-base/utouch-grail" is blocking unity-base/grail-3.0.6, unity-base/geis-2.2.12)
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-evemu ("unity-base/utouch-evemu" is blocking unity-base/grail-3.0.6, unity-base/evemu-1.0.10, unity-base/frame-2.2.4)
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-frame ("unity-base/utouch-frame" is blocking unity-base/grail-3.0.6)
[blocks B      ] unity-base/utouch-geis ("unity-base/utouch-geis" is blocking unity-base/geis-2.2.12)

Total: 7 packages (3 upgrades, 4 new), Size of downloads: 1,743 kB
Conflict: 5 blocks (5 unsatisfied)

(unity-base/geis-2.2.12::unity-gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    unity-base/geis required by (unity-base/nux-2.14.1::unity-gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by unity-base/geis-2.2.12, required by unity-base/nux-2.14.1, required by unity-base/unity-5.16.0, required by unity-base/unity-lens-files-5.10.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=unity-base/grail-3.0.6 **
#required by unity-base/nux-2.14.1, required by unity-base/unity-5.16.0, required by unity-base/unity-lens-files-5.10.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=unity-base/geis-2.2.12 **
#required by unity-base/frame-2.2.4, required by unity-base/grail-3.0.6, required by unity-base/geis-2.2.12, required by unity-base/nux-2.14.1, required by unity-base/unity-5.16.0, required by unity-base/unity-lens-files-5.10.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=unity-base/evemu-1.0.10 **
#required by unity-base/grail-3.0.6, required by unity-base/geis-2.2.12, required by unity-base/nux-2.14.1, required by unity-base/unity-5.16.0, required by unity-base/unity-lens-files-5.10.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=unity-base/frame-2.2.4 **

NOTE: The --autounmask-keep-masks option will prevent emerge
      from creating package.unmask or ** keyword changes.

Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No]

When I say yes, the same happens, except the ** packages become blockers, meaning the update can't proceed.

This is normal. It seems that now unity 5.16 uses a more recent set of deps. So you need to unmerge the blockers, just do it:

emerge -C unity-base/utouch-frame unity-base/utouch-grail unity-base/geis unity-base/utouch-evemu unity-base/evemu unity-base/utouch-frame unity-base/utouch-geis
and then proced with the update.

ps: unity2d is gone from unity-gentoo repository :cry: Unity 6.8 fails to compile :cry: :cry:
I will try unity 5.16 now...
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the late reply and rough ride in converting over to gconf/dconf.

I've made a fresh QA run on the overlay for unity-5.16 today with some of those bugs adressed so it should be better.
Still far from perfect but definitely improved.

If you're still feeling brave, sync up, re-emerge compiz and metacity, then you must do:
Code:
emerge --config =compiz-0.9.7.8-r1
to commit Unity's gconf settings into /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, the new gconf settings and that window buttons bug should be working straight out the box now.
Instead of trying to merge the compiz gconf defaults as I was before, we now stick the created %gconf-tree.xml in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.unity/ and append that path to /etc/gconf/2/local-defaults.path

Please let me know of any issues and apologies once again, cheers :D

@ahgblopes
Did you sort the 'ccsm' command ?
'ccsm' is installed as part of compiz-0.9.8.4, but is a seperate package for compiz-0.9.7.8.

Only other problem to report is that since QT has been removed from the overlay (RIP unity2d) you may at some point be downgrading to the main tree version.
To do this you'll need to issue the following command:
Code:
I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=1 emerge -1a $(qlist -IC x11-libs/qt)

PyQt4 will need to be re-emerged once the downgrade is complete.
Though probably not necessary, if you wish to rebuild all installed packages with the newly downgraded QT you can issue the following command:
Code:
emerge -1a `qdepends -CNQ x11-libs/qt 2> /dev/null`
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the problem - ccsm is still completely empty by default. I re-emerged metacity & compiz (in that order), ran compiz.reset, and did emerge --config compiz, but no change :(

EDIT: I am just now seeing your previous post - I'll wait a few hours, then sync again, then try again. :)
EDIT EDIT: Nope, no change. Desktop is still completely empty on log-in, due to all compiz plugins being disabled. Manually enabling them results in an unusable desktop with one giant artefact where Unity is supposed to be.

Also, this is probably not related, but I can't merge x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.0-r9999:
Code:
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.0-r9999/work/xorg-server-1.13.0 ...
 * Applying xorg-server_1.13.0-0ubuntu5.diff ...                         [ ok ]
 * Applying xorg-server-1.12-disable-acpi.patch ...                      [ ok ]
 * Applying 208_switch_on_release.diff ...                               [ ok ]
 * Applying 229_udev-fix.diff ...                                        [ ok ]
 * Applying 500_pointer_barrier_thresholds.diff ...

* Failed Patch: 500_pointer_barrier_thresholds.diff !
 *  ( /var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.0-r9999/work/xorg-server-1.13.0/debian/patches/500_pointer_barrier_thresholds.diff )

The .out file is located here: http://bpaste.net/show/49929/

Code:
[ebuild     U  ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.0-r9999::unity-gentoo [1.12.3-r9999::unity-gentoo] USE="dmx* nptl udev xnest xorg xvfb -doc -ipv6 -kdrive -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -tslib" 0 kB
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be using stale old compiz/gconf settings in your desktop user's config.
To start fresh do the following as your desktop user:
1. Log out of X
2. In console do:
Code:
~ $ rm -rfv ~/.compiz-1/ ~/.config/compiz-1/ ~/.cache/compizconfig-1/ ~/.gconf/apps/compiz*
3. killall gconfd-2
4. Restart X
Daja51
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: I do have some problem Reply with quote

[bug=gdbus-codegen]# emerge unity-meta

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-util/gdbus-codegen-99.2.32.3".
(dependency required by "dev-libs/glib-99.2.32.3[-test,-doc,utils]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.24.1-r1" [installed])
(dependency required by "x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.10-r1" [installed])
(dependency required by "dev-python/pygtk-2.24.0-r2" [installed])
(dependency required by "dev-python/pygtksourceview-2.10.1" [installed])
(dependency required by "dev-vcs/git-1.7.8.6[python,gtk]" [installed])
(dependency required by "sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r3[git]" [installed])
(dependency required by "sys-apps/coreutils-8.16[nls]" [installed])
(dependency required by "sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320" [installed])
(dependency required by "sys-auth/polkit-0.104-r1" [installed])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gconf-99.3.2.5[policykit]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-extra/nm-applet-99.0.9.4.1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "unity-base/unity-meta-5.16.0" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "unity-meta" [argument])
m51va jadd # eix gdbus-codegen
[I] dev-util/gdbus-codegen
Available versions: 2.30.3 ~2.32.4 [M]~2.34.0 {{[/bug]
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Daja51
Fix committed, thanks for reporting! :D

I've re-worked the application of the gconf defaults for compiz so that the user now no longer needs to do 'emerge --config =compiz-...'.

You may or may not encounter some file collisions at install time as I've moved Ubuntu's 'update-gconf-defaults' script from compiz's ebuild to gconf's ebuild.
This is so the compiz ebuild (and possibly others in future) can use 'update-gconf-defaults' at install time.

The file collisions will be:
Code:
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.unity/
/usr/bin/update-gconf-defaults
You can safely delete these files manually before re-emerging gconf first then compiz.

Hopefully this finally puts the whole gconf settings thing to bed :wink:
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to merge utouch-geis, it wants to install xorg-server-1.13.0-r9999, but fails to patch for me, too - same error as above.

(not really interested in unity, just need utouch to try out touchégg and this overlay seems to have pretty much all for it except touchégg itself)
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the failed patch for xorg-server-1.13.0, I wasn't able to reproduce this, all patches applied cleanly.

What version of the sys-devel/patch package do you guys have installed ? (using sys-devel/patch-2.6.1 here).

I've removed the 208_switch_on_release and 229_udev-fix patches from the ebuild as it really is just the 500_pointer_barrier_thresholds patch we need for the side launcher reveal and we now get the xorg-server tarball from the same place as the patchset tarball on Ubuntu's servers instead of freedesktop.org.

Sync up and try again to emerge xorg-server when you get a chance and let me know how it goes, tested OK at this end.

I'd had a brief look at touchegg too but not had time to do much more than that.
Would be nice to put some of these Unity dependencies to good use other than just for getting Unity emerged.

If you're looking at creating an ebuild I'd be happy to add it to the overlay if you want to submit it.
If you are then you should also know that utouch-geis, utouch-evemu, utouch-frame and utouch-grail have now been renamed to just evemu, frame, geis, grail.
Not sure whether touchegg would use the old utouch-* version of the libs or the more recent lib versions, just something to be aware of.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:
You could be using stale old compiz/gconf settings in your desktop user's config.
To start fresh do the following as your desktop user:
1. Log out of X
2. In console do:
Code:
~ $ rm -rfv ~/.compiz-1/ ~/.config/compiz-1/ ~/.cache/compizconfig-1/ ~/.gconf/apps/compiz*
3. killall gconfd-2
4. Restart X
Nope, no change, even after re-emerging gconf and compiz.

sys-devel/patch is at version 2.7.1 here.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nope, no change, even after re-emerging gconf and compiz.

sys-devel/patch is at version 2.7.1 here.

Thanks, have reproduced the same patch fail with sys-devel/patch-2.7.1 so you'll need to downgrade to stable sys-devel/patch-2.6.1.

Not sure what other damage patch-2.7.1 may have caused here (if any) so if Unity still does not work for you when testing with a new user, I'd re-emerge with '-e world' once using stable sys-devel/patch.

I'll update the overlay to depend on stable sys-devel/patch.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing with a new user works. I've localized the problem to somewhere inside ~/.config - deleting that folder fixes Unity for me. A small loss 8)
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgraded patch, doesn't fail on the 500...patch, but it fails anyway. http://pastebin.com/xkf9Zj4R

Edit, as for touchégg, @hasufell (@gentoo.org) posted an ebuild here: https://gist.github.com/3697209

Edit2, ok, fixed, seems I also needed the things 99-x from the overlay.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquous wrote:
Testing with a new user works. I've localized the problem to somewhere inside ~/.config - deleting that folder fixes Unity for me. A small loss 8)
Awesome :D

I've added a 'unity-gentoo.quantal' file in the top level of the overlay that contains a list of packages masked by missing keyword for the experimental Quantal release.
To use this file create a symlink to it in /etc/portage/package.keywords/:
Code:
ln -s /var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/unity-gentoo.quantal /etc/portage/package.keywords/unity-gentoo.quantal

Then doing 'emerge unity-meta' will make the new Unity 6 version available to you.
To revert back simply delete the symlink
Code:
rm /etc/portage/package.keywords/unity-gentoo.quantal

I've also added 'kde' USE flag to compiz so kde4-window-decorator is now available (requires <=KDE-4.8.5).

avx wrote:
Edit, as for touchégg, @hasufell (@gentoo.org) posted an ebuild here: https://gist.github.com/3697209

I've added it to the overlay under x11-misc/touchegg.
Had to edit it slightly to work with the new geis libs. as we can't use the old utouch-* libs for Unity anymore.

I can't get touchegg to work but you might have better luck, I'm using a synaptics touchpad.

The GUI is reported to be broken for the latest version and the author has not had time to fix yet so command line only.
Not sure why gestures don't work as it doesn't seem to provide any debug info so might have to grep out some strace logs to obtain anything at all.

It might be a bug in geis as geis' test programs don't work that well either.
'geis-server' segfaults
'geistest' adds the touchpad but then 'error subscribing to gestures'
'geisview' sort of works as it shows a successful initialisation of the touchpad device and gestures, but fails to create any events :cry:
peaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shiznix.
Thanks for a great work.
I'll try to get this experimental Unity to work on my notebook.
A lot of compilation is in process, since I've only got lxde on it.

I don't know if it was intentional, or it's a bug. Ebuild for gnome-base/nautilus-99.3.4.2 depends on unity-base/unity. So it forces a big bunch of packets to be compiled even without unity-meta being selected.

Is it a proper place to put my findings on your overlay?
peaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress so far.

Stable =media-libs/clutter-gst-1.4.6 fails to compile. Unmasked 1.5.6. Probably it has something to do with unmasked gcc.

=unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1 violates sandbox restrictions at installation stage:
Code:
-- Installing: /var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/image/usr/share/compiz/decor.xml
running /usr/bin/gconftool-2 --install-schema-file=/var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/work/compiz-0.9.8.4_build/generated/compiz-decor.schemas > /dev/null  2>&1
-- Installing: /var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/image/etc/gconf/schemas/compiz-decor.schemas
-- Installing: /var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/image/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas//org.compiz.decor.gschema.xml
-- Installing: /var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/image/usr/lib64/compiz/libdecor.so
-- Set runtime path of "/var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/image//usr/lib64/compiz/libdecor.so" to "/usr/lib64/compiz"
-- Installing: /var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/image/usr/bin/compiz-decorator
-- Recompiling GSettings schemas in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:      /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled.ZZI5LW
Failed to create file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled.ZZI5LW': Permission denied
/var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/work/compiz-0.9.8.4_build
/var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/work/compiz-0.9.8.4 /var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/work/compiz-0.9.8.4_build
/var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/work/compiz-0.9.8.4
grep: /etc/gconf/2/local-defaults.path: No such file or directory
>>> Completed installing compiz-0.9.8.4-r1 into /var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/image/

--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-8910.log"

VERSION 1.0
FORMAT: F - Function called
FORMAT: S - Access Status
FORMAT: P - Path as passed to function
FORMAT: A - Absolute Path (not canonical)
FORMAT: R - Canonical Path
FORMAT: C - Command Line

F: mkdir
S: deny
P: /etc/compizconfig
A: /etc/compizconfig
R: /etc/compizconfig
C: /usr/bin/cmake -E copy_if_different /var/tmp/portage/unity-base/compiz-0.9.8.4-r1/work/compiz-0.9.8.4/compizconfig/libcompizconfig/config/config /etc/compizconfig/config

F: open_wr
S: deny
P: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled.ZZI5LW
A: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled.ZZI5LW
R: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled.ZZI5LW
C: /usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added two addwrites to ebuild to get through.
peaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubuntuone-client-3.99.92 dropped from ubuntu mirrors.
Copy-pasted ebuild for 4.0.0.

Unity works. Will watch for glitches.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaker wrote:
ubuntuone-client-3.99.92 dropped from ubuntu mirrors.
Copy-pasted ebuild for 4.0.0.

Unity works. Will watch for glitches.

Hi and welcome peaker! :wink:
Great to see Unity works for you.

Have bumped ubuntuone-client to 4.0.0, was holding back on this one due to it aborting on startup with an 'IPC error'.
The fix was to depend on at least 12.2.0 for dev-python/twisted* packages.

Fixed the grep command for /etc/gconf/2/local-defaults.path on compiz installation and will fix the sandbox violations shortly.
Thanks for the feedback and reporting! :)

In other news, I see the annoying 'always top left' window placement bug for the likes of gedit and ccsm is now fixed and working in latest Quantal on Ubuntu. (HOORAY!!)
This uses gtk+-3.6 and gnome-3.6 so I'm looking at integrating the missing keyword masked Quantal packages to work in tandem with the 'gnome' overlay.
Package migration from the gnome overlay has already begun so it makes sense to follow this I think.
What this means is that once it's in place, you'll need to 'layman -a gnome' to get the gnome-3.6 packages that haven't made it into the main tree yet.
peaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, shiznix.

Seems like new GStreamer packages are work in progress. :)

I've got a lack of dependency in gst-plugins-base. And some emerge warnings on others.

orc dependency:
Code:
>>> Emerging (3 of 5) media-libs/gst-plugins-base-1.0.1 from unity-gentoo
configure: error: --enable-orc specified, but Orc >= 0.4.16 not found

# eix dev-lang/orc
[I] dev-lang/orc
     Available versions:  ~0.4.9 ~0.4.10 0.4.11 ~0.4.14 ~0.4.16 {{examples static-libs}}

Manifests:
Code:
emerge -avuDN world

Calculating dependencies \ * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-ogg/gst-plugins-ogg-0.10.36.ebuild'
 * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-theora/gst-plugins-theora-0.10.36.ebuild'
 * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-vorbis/gst-plugins-vorbis-0.10.36.ebuild'
 * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-pango/gst-plugins-pango-0.10.36.ebuild'
 / * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-xvideo/gst-plugins-xvideo-0.10.36.ebuild'
... done!
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaker wrote:
Hi, shiznix.

Seems like new GStreamer packages are work in progress. :)

I've got a lack of dependency in gst-plugins-base. And some emerge warnings on others.

orc dependency:
Code:
>>> Emerging (3 of 5) media-libs/gst-plugins-base-1.0.1 from unity-gentoo
configure: error: --enable-orc specified, but Orc >= 0.4.16 not found

# eix dev-lang/orc
[I] dev-lang/orc
     Available versions:  ~0.4.9 ~0.4.10 0.4.11 ~0.4.14 ~0.4.16 {{examples static-libs}}

Manifests:
Code:
emerge -avuDN world

Calculating dependencies \ * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-ogg/gst-plugins-ogg-0.10.36.ebuild'
 * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-theora/gst-plugins-theora-0.10.36.ebuild'
 * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-vorbis/gst-plugins-vorbis-0.10.36.ebuild'
 * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-pango/gst-plugins-pango-0.10.36.ebuild'
 / * A file is not listed in the Manifest: '/var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/media-plugins/gst-plugins-xvideo/gst-plugins-xvideo-0.10.36.ebuild'
... done!

Yes you're right, been trying to get gstreamer bumped to 1.0.1 for gnome-3.6 for Quantal ;)
Those gstreamer issues should be fixed now, thanks for reporting!
peaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome.

Little info for those who interested in unity-6.8 [un]stability:
1. It crashes during normal use. Once a day. :(
You left with the current running app and no of the hotkeys are working, no panels are shown.
2. With latest gnome-panel-3.4.2.1 from portage tree top panel is decorated properly, media hotkeys are working, power indicator is working.
Still buggy with third-party icons. Skype etc. They are placed on the panel, but it looks like they are drawn below it. To get them on top I use "minimize all windows" hotkey.
3. CCSM is unstable as hell. Unity crashes on a big part (half ?) of the settings.
4. "Display" branch of "System setting" is not accessible. "Display settings" from dash are working.
5. Sometimes screen is not drawn correctly after sleep. Black screen with mouse pointer. Cursor changes on elements, but screen is completely black.
6. And, yep, not maximized windows are positioned below the panels.

P.S. Installation is novice unfriendly. You'll need to understand a little more than basics of 'emerge --autounmask-write unity-base', despite all the required packets are in main tree and the unity-gentoo overlay.
I will retest clean installation at more stable point. Now I have a lot of strange items in /etc/portage/package* files. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 8 of 27

Jump to: