chromium stabilization
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rüpel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: chromium stabilization Reply with quote

Guys,

all is great and such ...

... but the frequency of new stable versions of www-client/chromium really pi**** me off. I'm on an old computer and compiling chromium takes me >8 hours! And there is no chromium-bin ebuild.

I literally *fear* every emerge --sync, it might *again* include a new stable chromium version.

Yes, buy a new computer, yes, Ctrl-C is an option,yes, I know masking, yes, upstream is releasing like crazy, but the stable kernel is 3.3.8 and I'm pretty happy with it.

Is there a chance the stabilization process for www-client/chromium might slow down a little bit?

pretty please ... :roll:

just my 2 cents
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other option is to switch to www-client/google-chrome...it's a bin package, so no compiling and I don't think it get's updated as often. I use that on my netbook, because compile times are atrocious. It works very well.

As far as regular chromium goes...I like the latest and greatest always....so I hope they keep them coming. Of course, I have a new machine that knocks it out in < 40 minutes.
Rüpel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www-client/google-chrome - that sounds like the solution to me! thank you very much! :D
kimmie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both google-chrome and chromium get updated nearly every time there's a bump upstream... else how would you get all those security patches? Credit to the devs for keeping up. But yeah, recompiling chromium is a bit of a pain.

A bonus from using google-chrome instead of chromium is that you'll get the built-in PepperF API flash, which is more up to date and secure than the netscape plugin flash. If you're only using chrome, you can then unmerge www-plugins/adobe-flash altogether. If you want to keep it around for another browser, you can still make sure it's disabled for google-chrome by going to chrome://plugins and disabling the NSAPI flash.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh if you watch lots of videos, they get laggy with pepper flash on fullscreen that adobe flash doesnt do for me
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Duplicate Threads in favor of www-client/chromium takes too much time to upgrade (solved).

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: