Find stale packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyCasta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Find stale packages Reply with quote

I ran into a lot of trouble when I ran my sync/update/clean cycle and finally traced it to a stale package (specifically fltk-2.0_pre6970-r1). fltk is in my world file (with no specific slot specified) so I assume that's how version 2.0.xxx got installed in the first place. When I ran emerge -avc I got an error about required packages not being installed. I discovered that this was because certain packages hadn't been updated when I did emerge -avDuN --with-bdeps world. I finally figured out that the reason these weren't updated was because no non-stale package not destined for cleaning depended on them. I assume the reason the emerge depclean failed is because the stale package wasn't destined for cleaning because it was in my world file (though this is only a guess and I would appreciate clarification as to why the stale package wasn't being cleaned).

My question is: is there a way to discover stale files and remove them separate from the depclean process (which clearly doesn't work in this case) or is this a bug in emerge and depclean should have cleaned the stale ebuild?
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any package listed in world is by definition desired by the user, hence immune to depclean. A user can desire to keep packages not present in the main tree, so removing any package for which an ebuild is missing is not necessarily right. In many cases, the user should not keep such packages, but that is for policy reasons, rather than technical ones.

Is fltk a package that you want to keep? If yes, why did you want --depclean to remove it? If no, why is it in your world file?
CrazyCasta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I should explain a little further then. First, the 1.3 version of fltk is all I really care about in the first place. I have an old app I wrote for fltk 1.3. Therefore I don't really care about version 2.0 (not exactly sure how it even got installed in the first place). The problem is that I used to have the doc flag set in my make.conf file along with a ton of other USE flags. The computer is a laptop and I decided that perhaps having the doc flag set on everything wasn't really appropriate and was taking up too much space as well. Also, I decided to get rid of most of my use flags in make.conf, select a better profile and move whatever USE flags I still cared about to my packages.use file. This removed almost every dependency on doxygen. The problem is that a few old packages (almost all of which were destined for depclean) still depended on doxygen. The only problem package is fltk-2.0... which still has a dependance on doxygen in it's /var/db/pkg file.

Basically what I would like is a way to list stale packages as part of my sync,update,clean cycle so I can decide whether I want to clean them out or not (on a per package basis of course).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: