View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: dropping udev, some questions remain. Reply with quote

Following the on-going udev-debacle and my wish to get rid of udev completely, a few question are currently unanswered.

Machine in question: Macbook Pro (2011)
- running ~amd64
- fvwm as wm
- no need to auto-mount thumbdrives or giving names to nodes/devices

Questions:
a) xf86-input-evdev (now) depends on xorg build with USE=udev. Is it possible to live with xf86-input-keyboard and still having access to the special keys on this machine?
b) if a) is doable, what are the implications of building xorg with USE=-udev?

I read the page on 'mdev' on the wiki, but it only talks about cups and ATI drivers, both aren't needed/used by me.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I goes the easy way : >sys-fs/udev-172 in package.mask waiting for better days
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If better days will come, that is. I'm not very confident in the udev-fork as I'm pretty sure Lennart will make it harder to patch out the crap every day going by.

So, yeah, that's an option for now, still would be nice if someone could give me a headsup on the questions.
hcaulfield57
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: dropping udev, some questions remain. Reply with quote

avx wrote:

a) xf86-input-evdev (now) depends on xorg build with USE=udev. Is it possible to live with xf86-input-keyboard and still having access to the special keys on this machine?

Not sure what 'special keys' you are talking about, the keyboard driver works fine, so does the mouse driver, they have no problems.
avx wrote:

b) if a) is doable, what are the implications of building xorg with USE=-udev?

As far as I am aware, there are no implications. At least I haven't found any.

It's perfectly easy to have a working desktop without udev, and there are hardly any complications whatsoever. I have mdev on my LFS desktop, when I plug in a USB stick it's recognized and a device node is properly created. Everything works, ALSA, etc. Even static /dev works well to this day. As long as you don't use LVM, you should be fine.
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am running a mdev-based "destkop" configuration on a laptop and workstation, and I can run X, have sound, wifi, video...

I have some little problems:
  1. coldplug is not working with "mdev -s". I need to modprobe all modules in a custom init script. Is there any good coldplug script ?
  2. my laptop has a synaptics touchpad, but for Xorg, I don't know how to enable the synaptics driver: the coremouse PS/2 default mouse driver is used instead. I don't want to completely disable the coremouse driver, because I plug sometimes an USB mouse

hcaulfield57
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XavierMiller wrote:

my laptop has a synaptics touchpad, but for Xorg, I don't know how to enable the synaptics driver: the coremouse PS/2 default mouse driver is used instead. I don't want to completely disable the coremouse driver, because I plug sometimes an USB mouse

Do you have the synaptics driver installed? Or perhaps it's not being enabled because of no udev?
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse and synaptics are both compiled, but in the mdev wiki, they said there could be problem. But not telling how to force synaptics to be loaded in place of CoreMouse...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: