View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GENERiCfr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: GNOME doesn't function properly after monday's update Reply with quote

Hi guys. I've got a problem with GNOME after, IIRC, monday's world update(I don't know which package caused the problem though). The gnome-panel takes some time to load and later, I can't open any programs. Shut down button has also disappeared. It partially works by disabling D-BUS, but it's a very inconvenient workaround. I tried reemerging dbus, consolekit but without any luck. Here are the logs from .xsession-errors and emerge --info. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. ;)
^marcs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might run
Code:
genlop -l (lower L)

from app-portage/genlop and check which packages were upgraded on monday.
GENERiCfr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that little tool. It's so helpful. ;)

Well, looks like policykit-0.107-r1 caused the problem. After downgrading to 0.104-r1 everything works as should. So, is it safe to have an older version of that particular important toolkit?
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same (or similar) problem. I use KDE, and with polkit-0.107 there is a polkitd process using full cpu when the system is booted to login screen (kdm). When I login, it gets even worse: Like 7 or 8 polkitd porcesses eat away my cpu. Login takes extremely long because of this. If I kill the processes, at least one gets restarted over and over again.

I use hardened-sources as kernel, and hardened toolchain, but on desktop/kde profile. I did this by unmasking and setting USE="hardened" for gcc, glibc and pkgconfig. I tried with several kernel configs and found that CONFIG_PAX_RANDMMAP is the one which is not liked by polkit. Without this option, polkit-0.107 does its job without leaving processes gone berserk.

However, CONFIG_PAX_RANDMMAP is an important part of ASLR, and I would like to keep it enabled, if only for browser, image viewer and media player. I tried to "paxctl -pemrxs" every executable I could find from polkit-related packages, spidermonkey, consolekit, kdm, xdm and even dbus. Nothing changed so far. Will try some more...

Does anybody know what special magic >=polkit-0.106 or spidermonkey do that does not like randomized mmap-memory?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: