Why are these mounting?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phluffy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Why are these mounting? Reply with quote

I have a fresh install that seems to be working ok, but I get messages at boot that I just can't ignore, starting with:
Code:
* Mounting /proc ...     [ ok ]
* Mounting /run ...     [ ok ]
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on tmpfs, missing codepage or helper program, or other error (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

* /run/lock: creating directory     [ !! ]
* checkpath: mkdir: Read-only file system
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on tmpfs, missing codepage or helper program, or other error (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)

* Mounting /sys ...     [ ok ]
* Mounting config filesystem     [ ok ]
* /dev is already mounted
* checkpath: mkdir: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/udev': Read-only file system
/lib/udev/write_root_link_rule: line 26: /run/udev/rules.d/10-root-link.rules: No such file or directory
/lib/udev/write_root_link_rule: line 27: /run/udev/rules.d/10-root-link.rules: No such file or directory
/lib/udev/write_root_link_rule: line 28: /run/udev/rules.d/10-root-link.rules: No such file or directory
* Starting udev ... [ ok ]
* Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ...     [ ok ]
Waiting for uevents to be processed ... [ ok ]
Mounting /dev/pts ... [ ok ]
Mounting /dev/shm ...
Then it goes on to mount my local, two partitions/filesystems, and drop to a prompt normally. And again, the function of the machine seems to be ok. However, I'm mainly concerned with the /run mounting, the /dev reporting as already mounted, and the /dev/shm. Regarding /run and /dev/shm, I assume if I enabled shm and tmpfs in the kernel those messages would go away, but I don't want to use memory in that way and would rather /run be a standard mount and /dev/shm not be mounted at all, but I can't see where that's happening? As for the /dev reporting as already mounted, I have no idea what's goin' on there...

Sorry for the bloated first post, I thought that would best describe the issue. Please let me know what information or files I can provide to assist with any troubleshooting.
Thank you in advance for your time; Gentoo community has awesome support!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phluffy,

udev needs some writable space before your local filesystems are mounted and checked and switched to rw.
/run was moved from /var/run for this. /var/run is now a symlink to /run

If you really reeally want /run on HDD, you need to give up udev. At the moment, you probably don't want to do that unless this is for a server.
Then you can go back to a static /dev You will need a long memory to remember that.

You should enable /dev/shm and tmpfs in the kernel as /dev is in tmpfs now too.

The /dev already mounted message is harmless. It due to your kernel mounting devtmpfs and the init system trying to mount it later.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these mounting? Reply with quote

Phluffy wrote:
Regarding /run and /dev/shm, I assume if I enabled shm and tmpfs in the kernel those messages would go away, but I don't want to use memory in that way and would rather /run be a standard mount and /dev/shm not be mounted at all

If you can't spare the ~400kB of RAM /run uses and don't have any programs like X or a web browser that require /dev/shm for normal operation, then may I suggest you replace udev with something lighter like mdev? That alone is consuming 2MB of RAM at all times.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: