[SOLVED] general kernel compiling and upgrading question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jopeto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] general kernel compiling and upgrading question Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to Gentoo and when I first installed it and manually configured and compiled the kernel, I ran "make menuconfig" and left ticked all the items that were ticked by default. Gradually I've been working my way through the computer hardware and have been recompiling the kernel accordingly. Since I want to remove all the items which were ticked by default but don't need for my hardware, I now find it difficult to remember which items in the menuconfig were ticked by default and which ones where the ones that I ticked. So I was wondering if there is a tool, which keeps some kind of a log on all this, or do I need to do this manually?

My other question is when I update the kernel sources and need to recompile the kernel again, is there a way to manually configure the new one to have the same options as the old one. I guess the standard way to do this would be to use the old .config file, however it says that this is not always recommended. (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml#doc_chap11) I guess ideally there would be a tool that when you run "make menuconfig" for the first time on the new sources, will give you all the previously ticked items from the old sources in a different colour.

Do tools like this exist or am I just thinking in a completely wrong direction due to my relative inexperience?

Last edited by jopeto on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mvaterlaus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, if you start compiling your own kernels, take a look at pappy's kernel seeds homepage [1]. there is a guide, and some minimal default .config files, which you can download for your kernel. after that, you can start to enable everything you really need in your kernel.

for your second question, copy the .config file from your old kernel to the directory of your new kernel and run make oldconfig. after that, check the config of your kernel manually. it is important, that everything you need to get a booting system is configured.

[1]http://kernel-seeds.org/
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of a tool to definitively identify settings guessed from your old config file vs those which are new in this version. However, in many cases, new features are optional, so just updating via make oldnoconfig is adequate.
jopeto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your tips!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: