Kernel panic when booting from LiveDVD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesha_n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Kernel panic when booting from LiveDVD Reply with quote

Hi Gentoo users,

I am trying to install Gentoo from LiveDVD 12.1 (amd64, I think it is the multilib version) and I am not getting anywhere. I tried several boot options:

• The default "gentoo" option results in no video output at all (not even the initial line about uncompressing the image), I just hear the DVD spinning
  • With "gentoo nofb" boot starts but quickly dies with kernel panic. I am not sure what is the best way to capture the scrolling output, Pause does not seem to work (after the initial image uncompression stage anyway), so I tried to capture snapshots with camera. Here is am image of the final screen: http://static.inky.ws/image/2910/image.jpg; if needed I'll be glad to provide screenshots leading up to this, some of them are blurred but may still be useful.
  • Looking at the lats bit of output I took a guess that perhaps ACPI could be at fault and tried additional options to "gentoo nofb": "noacpi", and then also "nosata"; however, that did not help: still got kernel panic at the same stage.

I would be grateful for any ideas on how to troubleshoot this. Will upload additional images (and/or text if I can make it out from the snapshots) if necessary.

System info: i7-3770k, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard, Patriot DDR3-1600 (tested successfuly with memtest on LiveDVD)

Thank you,
Aleksey
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesha_n,

Instead of fighting that error, it might be beneficial to just install gentoo from a live cd that you can boot. It's not necessary to use the gentoo live cd :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
lesha_n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho,

Thanks for the idea, I did not realize it is a possibility. I was able to boot into KNOPPIX, will that work for installing Gentoo? Do you have any other recommendations? I guess I could also use Gentoo minimal CD, except I'd have to set up networking manually?

Many thanks,
Aleksey

BillWho wrote:

Instead of fighting that error, it might be beneficial to just install gentoo from a live cd that you can boot. It's not necessary to use the gentoo live cd :wink:
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesha_n,

Any live linux cd ( of the same architecture ) will do the trick. I usually use mint/dedian. The installation is simplified to some extent since mint detects and configures the network.

Then it's just a matter of setting-up your partitions, dl the stage3 and portage tarballs via firefox ( if KNOPPIX has it ) and you're on your way :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesha_n,

I use SystemRescueCD as its Gentoo based and allows you to follow the handbook with no extra steps.
It also provides both a 64 bit and 32 bit kernel. Thats important as you need the right kernel to support your intended install.

You can do a 32 bit install using a 64 bit kernel if you want as the kernel will run 32 bit code. The other way round fails at the chroot step.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
lesha_n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho, NeddySeagoon,

Many thanks for your help. I'll try a few live linux CDs. NeddySeagoon, thanks for info on SystemRescueCd, I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Aleksey
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get that kernel panic on the live dvd aswell, i think it has to do with the newer nvidia graphics cards (like 560+, i had it on a 560-ti and 670-ti). i could be wrong tho, i don't know how to get past it yet, just that i get a black screen if i try to start it normally and get a kernel panic if i run -nofb

but i've kindof got no use for the livedvd anyways since livecd is rather great just for installing gentoo. but i think it would be nice if the livedvd would work with my system if i for whatever reason would want to use it.

If you don't have that kind of graphics card, its probably fairly certain its the intel i7 series processors.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: