Sixaxis via bluetooth
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Sixaxis via bluetooth Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten their ps3 sixaxis controller working over bluetooth with the latest bluez? All the guides I found on the internet were from 2008 or older, and reference an ancient bluez that isn't current. I can pair the controller with sixaxis.c, but I can't get the damn thing to actually connect.

Anyone have a recent guide?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluez is one of those things that you really, really, really want to avoid at all costs. It's undocumented, it breaks in many different ways (usually without error messages), and it's extremely end-user-unfriendly. You have the option to use a USB cable with these and in all honesty you'd be a million times better off doing that.
zombor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
bluez is one of those things that you really, really, really want to avoid at all costs. It's undocumented, it breaks in many different ways (usually without error messages), and it's extremely end-user-unfriendly. You have the option to use a USB cable with these and in all honesty you'd be a million times better off doing that.

I've had my fair share of gripes and problems with bluez over the years. However, saying "don't use bluetooth" is such a silly response, I don't know what to say.

In any case, this seems to work: http://artifact.gnu-log.net/index.php/PS3_SixAxis_Bluetooth_on_Gentoo_Linux
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombor

i have manage to get it connect but it gets lose again an i can see it in qtsixa-1.5.1.if you can get it to bee connected :?: i am happy to try to help you but this is as far as i have made it with bluetooth

regards hedmo
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a lot with Bluetooth but I couldn't get this to work. Like hedmo says, QtSixA would connect initially but then loses it. I read that this may be because I'm using an unofficial controller. It works fine via USB though. The situation is a bit confusing because new kernel drivers are supposed to obsolete helper programs like QtSixA and CWiid for the Wiimote but I can't get those to work either.
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
I've done a lot with Bluetooth but I couldn't get this to work. Like hedmo says, QtSixA would connect initially but then loses it. I read that this may be because I'm using an unofficial controller. It works fine via USB though. The situation is a bit confusing because new kernel drivers are supposed to obsolete helper programs like QtSixA and CWiid for the Wiimote but I can't get those to work either.

Chewi

i can not get the ps3 (official) controller to work with usb.can you help with that ?.but my wiimote is running quite good if you need help.my friends are
playing skyrim on the ps3 and they hate mouse and keyboard.i hate to play that sort of games with a controller and using the nosromo n52 and my mx air.

regards hedmo
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hedmo.

The new(ish) kernel driver is probably what you're missing. It's under Device Drivers -> HID Support -> Special HID drivers, with the identifier HID_SONY. Enable that and it should just work.

My Wiimote works fine with CWiid but as I said, apparently it's not needed any more. I can't remember exactly what trouble I had with the kernel driver but it's been a while since I tried it.
Dark Shoyu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone paired the controller via bluetooth?
frostwork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it works very good.
some time back I applied (just add epatch "${FILESDIR}/${PN}-4.101-sixaxis.patch" to src_prepare)
this sixaxis patch (original source unknown, sry)
http://bpaste.net/show/87740/
to bluez-4.101-r1.ebuild in my local overlay
and paired the controller with "sixpair"
(probably from http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html)
since then I just need to press the PS button to use the sixaxis in bluetooth mode
(although the bluez version installed no longer is patched)
for turning off the sixaxis I put an icon with this script into my xfce4 panel:
====
#!/bin/bash
devmac=00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX # SixAxis bt mac address (See /var/lib/bluetooth/<host-mac>/names)
sudo hcitool dc ${devmac}
====
I hope this helps a bit
hf
Dark Shoyu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have finally paired my controller with the ps3joy script (github or ros), since all the convencional way (patching bluez) didn't work for me.

The only problem with this script is that it consumes too much processing from my raspberry pi...

ps: Also in my case, I changed my bluetooth dongle address using the following method: http://blog.petrilopia.net/hacking/change-your-bluetooth-device-mac-address/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: