Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on BeagleBone - kernel, pointers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Gentoo on BeagleBone - kernel, pointers? Reply with quote

I'll be tackling the Gentoo on BeagleBone installation soon:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/beaglebone/install.xml

Can anyone offer any pointers? The document says vanilla kernel.org doesn't support the BeagleBone as of 12/2011. Does anyone know if that has changed?
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used pre-built files for the boot partition and current-stage3-armv7a for the root partition and all is working perfectly. Portage wouldn't work with the current-stage3-armv7a_hardf stage BTW.

I'm still curious about alternate (portage?) kernels if anyone has info on that.
wim-x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formatting the SD card
When using the provided sdcardsetup.sh script I found I was quickly running out of inodes on my 4Gb card. Follow the link to the Gentoo Handbook about creating filesystem will provide some background information about inodes on small disks.

Stages information
I also missed some explaining about or link to the difference between soft- and hardfloat stages, they are the only ones available. Hardfloat is faster but it limits cross compiling capabilities with non arm7a machines.

Obtaining/Building a kernel
I used the Arago kernel, but used the v3.2-staging branch and Beaglebone firmware as indicated by Bradford Embedded. This kernel solved the USB and powersupply issues I had with other kernels.

Follow the Gentoo Embedded Handbook, in particular how to cross compile the modules to the correct place.

Use the following line somewhere after the disk has been prepared and mounted:
make -j2 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armv7a-unknown-linux-gnueabi- INSTALL_MOD_PATH="/mnt/beaglebonechroot" modules_install
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also missed some explaining about or link to the difference between soft- and hardfloat stages, they are the only ones available. Hardfloat is faster but it limits cross compiling capabilities with non arm7a machines.

Someone mentioned on the Beaglebone list that there is no real-world performance difference between them.

Quote:
I used the Arago kernel, but used the v3.2-staging branch and Beaglebone firmware as indicated by Bradford Embedded. This kernel solved the USB and powersupply issues I had with other kernels.

Can you tell me more about the USB and powersupply issues you had?
wim-x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
wim-x wrote:

Someone mentioned on the Beaglebone list that there is no real-world performance difference between them.

Yeah, I also read a lot of different statements on the internet. It would be nice if the manual could give some trustworthy insight.

grant123 wrote:
wim-x wrote:

Can you tell me more about the USB and powersupply issues you had?

Not really :( , and only because I can't remember. I tried like 3 different kernels (including the one in armin's manual), and the Arago kernel provided me with the best results (however, still no functioning board leds).
armin76
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just updated my guide. From what i've tested, vanilla kernel.org still does NOT support the beaglebone...
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks armin76. According to my info, the kernel patchsets available here are still required:

https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: