View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbzium
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: High resource consumtion? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm quite new to Gentoo so I don't really know if some matters should concern me or not. I've noticed that my system is using ~3-4% in absolute idle, ~20% (!!!) with music player on and sometimes xinitrc takes up to 100% of one logical cores! (1 of 8)

Here's sample top:
[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/m8d086.png[/IMG]

Is it normal?

My spec:
i72600
audigy 2zs gold
^marcs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 3-4% in kde while idle is pretty normal, especially if You have nepomuk enabled it might spike while it is indexing.
As for playback it shouldn;t take 14% of i7, audacious is pretty lightweight, maybe something wrong about it, buggy plugin or something, maybe should try another player?
Playing mp3?
kbzium
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mp3. The problem is that I acctually have used multiple other players - all of them are laggy and comsume high amount of resources. I think that since i have audigy 2 zs, my CPU should't be burdened when playing music... that's how it is in other oses. I'm missing something.

As for nepomuk. This is file indexer, isn't it? How to disable it safely? I don't need any of those since i have SSD and I don't search much anyway.
^marcs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can disable nepomuk in "Desktop Search" applet in KDE System Settings - but it's a long shot.
I'm sorry but I'm not aware of any problems with audigy specifically - if anyone have a better idea, You could try a way of elimination. Maybe You could install some lighter window manager (for instance fluxbox, or twm) or start your machine without KDE or X at all and check how things going in console, there are command line players.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbzium wrote:
The problem is that I acctually have used multiple other players - all of them are laggy and comsume high amount of resources.

Even qmmp? What about mpd + a nice frontend? (media-sound/bempc recommended :P) be.mpc uses nearly no cpu, as it's just the frontend. Actual playback happens in mpd, which uses 1-2% CPU on a mp3. I am on an i7 2600K - not overclocked.
kbzium
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm disabling neopomuk did the trick i guess. Now audacious takes ~2% of 1 core at 1600MHz. Seems resonable. Music quality is very good comparing to windows, don't know why :)

Thanks!
^marcs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? Lol this nepomuk thingy is turns out to be a main trouble maker from the start.
How about idle usage? Still at 4%?
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nepomuk has absolutely nothing to do with audacious! If audacious uses 14% of CPU it is audacious and not nepomuk. There also is nothing that indicates nepomuk is doing anything at all (no nepomuk* in top).
And 2-4% when showing "top" in a konsole is OK - someone has to render the changes on the screen, and that someone is kwin. If you want to measure more accurately log in via ssh and and run top from remote.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: