Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Any PDF viewer which can be driven by another program?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamlet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Any PDF viewer which can be driven by another program? Reply with quote

Hello,

I need a PDF viewer which can run in a rehearsal mode, keeping track of the time spent on each page.
I haven't found any so far, but I could use a workaround.
In fact, an existing instance of xpdf can be driven by command line, e.g. in a shell I can tell xpdf to go to the next page or such.
Therefore I could write a shell script which would record the time and do the page change at the same time.

Now xpdf is abandoned, deprecated, dropped and forgotten... is there any other reader with that feature?

Thank you
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most current pdf viewers should be controllable via dbus. but i don't know if all of them expose prev/next functionality. okular does.
if that is not enough you may want to write your own simple pdf-viewer. rendering pdfs with poppler is really easy ;)
Hamlet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: [solved] PDF viewer which can be driven by another program? Reply with quote

Indeed one hour later I realized that dbus can be a solution and that there is that KDE reader, okular; it turns out is exposes enough functions. And there is a python interface to dbus!
The tutorial I found for it is simple and good enough that it took me about 15' to have what I needed out of it.

Thank you for the solution anyway!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: