Gnome layman overlay
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qualar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Gnome layman overlay Reply with quote

Hi All,

I installed a new Gentoo host last weekend, uses a rootfs of ZFS so I had to make a few keyword alterations and then I used layman to put the gnome overlay on and built that. I also had to make a few keyword changes on top of what the overlay wanted but eventually got all of it compiled. Sadly, I can see GDM-3.4.1-r1 isn't talking to ghome-shell-3.5.5 (GS) properly from the debug in /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log

Looking thru the log, it appears that GDM is asking GS if it can do work for it, executing /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gdm-gnome-session which says it can't. The script it is executing does throw this debug:-

Code:
gnome-session[29101]: DEBUG(+): fill: *** Launching helper 'bash -c 'gnome-shell --help | grep -q gdm-mode && /usr/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated'' to know if session is runnable

And GDM falls back into some safe mode and if I log in I don't get GS.

I presume gnome-shell from the 3.4 tree had the optiion of "--gdm-mode" but 3.5.5 uses "--mode=gdm". So, I altered the script and GDM now thinks GS is runnable, but when GDM starts I get the "Oh No! Somthing has gone wrong" screen.

I see "/usr/share/gdm/greeter/applications/gnome-shell.desktop" being executed and the script contains a line that launches GS with "Exec=gnome-shell --gdm-mode" so I change that but I still get "Oh No" and:-

Code:
      JS LOG: Error: Requiring IBus, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'IBus' (any version) not found
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring Gdm, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gdm' (any version) not found
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"Requiring Gdm, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gdm' (any version) not found"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '4'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js:4"'

So, back tracking, I tried to build a GS from the normal portage tree (3.4.1, 3.4.2 and 3.2.2.1) but they all failed to build.

I'm guessing a 3.5 version of GDM would be a better way to go.

My question is, what version of they two packages is everybody else using and/or how did you get around the incompatibility problem I'm seeing?

Paul
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to a solution for a working gdm for Gnome 3.5, has anyone got evolution 3.5x working correctly yet? When I installed it, it corrupted my mail preferences, and didn't display emails 100% of the time. (I actually tested it under XFCE because of the Gnome 3.5 problems). I've now masked evolution off, as well as most of the gnome 3.5 updates that get pulled in as dependencies, but I just noticed that evolution got bumped to 3.5.90 in my latest sync. I don't want to update my system now until at the minimum I see a gdm update.

BTW, is there a more appropriate place to discuss and/or ask questions, about the gnome overlay?

Thanks..
qualar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, bank holiday weekend in the UK and I wanted a working system so, I commented out the layman source line in make.conf but left the overlay's gnome3 "ln"s in /etc/portage, did a "emerge -auvND world ; revdep-rebuild ; reboot" and now I have a working 3.4 GDM & gnome-shell.

Horray

Paul
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and tried updating my system with the latest gnome overlay updates, and there were still issues with the new evolution 3.5x. After the update I could not re-emerge tracker, gnome-applets, pidgin and ekiga, again, because of evolution changes. So I removed the gnome overlay from my system. However, because most of the Gnome 3.4 is masked in the portage tree, I copied locally the unmask and USE flag config files from the gnome overlay and installed them locally. Now I have a working 3.4 system, without the worries of breakage during updates.

BTW, you get the same net effect by removing the layman source line in your /etc/make.conf, since your system will not see the overlay anymore. However, if you have any other overlays synced, this will also make your system not see them either. Safer probably to just copy the config files locally and delete the gnome overlay.

Good Luck..
francescofavero
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: layman -d gnome Reply with quote

You might just remove the gnome overlay:

Code:
layman -d gnome

and then when you feel lucky again just re-add it:

Code:
layman -a gnome

I'm frustrated as well with gnome-3.5, I've upgraded all, I fixed the IBus error by bumping the ebuild, but still.. gnome-shell complains something about gdm...
And gdm-3.5.90 is impossible to make it works... It compile and install fine, but then doesn't "manage" nothing.. just hung reserving monitors (for what I can se in the messages)... The display remains black.

A part for that I don't have any particular problem with gnome-3.5* packages, I've have few add-ons though... If you want to try it out add the overlay here:
https://github.com/francescofavero/bioinfoo

I think you can add it with layman, by adding this XML:
https://raw.github.com/francescofavero/bioinfoo/master/layman/overlay.xml
to your layman make.conf.
and than you can add it and remove it with:
Code:

layman -a bioinfoo
layman -d bioinfoo

If you use this overlay, you have also to have the gnome overlay, beware that it will update a lot of things, and I just test it on my system...
DO NOT upgrade gdm-3.5.90 and gnome-shell-3.5.90 (put them in package.mask if you want), they don't work for now.. at least for me...
I might fix it some day.. meanwhile I'm using gnome-3.4.1-r1 and gnome-shell-3.5.3
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Francesco,

I appreciate you offering your hard work in order to help folks get the gnome-overlay 3.5 stuff working. My problem is with evolution 3.5x in that I don't trust it yet, (it deleted my preferences when I installed it on my system). So I'm inclined to wait until things hit the portage tree. It just seems that Gnome 3.x is in a confusing set of states right now; 3.2 stable in portage, 3.4 masked in portage, and parts of 3.5 starting to make its way into the gnome overlay. I realize that I need to be able to have a working evolution on my system, so I'm waiting until more work is done.

Thanks again..
pclouds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: layman -d gnome Reply with quote

francescofavero wrote:
DO NOT upgrade gdm-3.5.90 and gnome-shell-3.5.90 (put them in package.mask if you want), they don't work for now.. at least for me...

I managed to make gdm-3.5.91 work with gnome-shell 3.5.91. You need to rename /etc/pam.d/gdm-welcome to /etc/pam.d/gdm-launch-environment.
qualar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: layman -d gnome Reply with quote

pclouds wrote:
I managed to make gdm-3.5.91 work with gnome-shell 3.5.91. You need to rename /etc/pam.d/gdm-welcome to /etc/pam.d/gdm-launch-environment.

I saw 3.5.91 come thru over the weekend so I upgraded my working 3.4.x system it last night, gdm didn't work via xdm but from the command line "gdm --nodaemon" would at least start an X server but not provide a login screen.

With the PAM fix above, still not working via xdm (and nothing useful in syslog and nothing at all in /var/log/gdm) but I'm in and working from the command line, WOOHOO

Thanks pclouds!
rmcknt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have problems starting gdm-3.5.91 via /etc/init.d/xdm
There's no log output at all, is there a way to make .d/xdm more verbose? Starting gnome session via startx works great.
newfuntek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done upgrade to gnome 3.5, but with gnome-shell-9999 and cogl-1.10.2 (NOT cogl-1.10.4, be careful about this crazy quick updating libraries).
Gnome-shell-extensions-9999 do not work under nvidia binary drivers (with intel work fine).
I have done before installing extensions:
rm -rf /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/
rm -rf ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
rm -rf ~/.config/dconf

and they are turned off for safety reasons (MY LAST EDIT).

I have very mixed (different versions) gnome packages (epm -qa | grep gnome | sort):
eselect-gnome-shell-extensions-20120911
gnome-3.4.1
gnome-applets-3.4.1
gnome-audio-2.22.2
gnome-backgrounds-3.5.90
gnome-bluetooth-3.5.5
gnome-color-manager-3.4.2
gnome-common-3.5.5
gnome-contacts-9999
gnome-control-center-3.5.91
gnome-core-apps-3.4.1
gnome-core-libs-3.4.1
gnome-desktop-3.5.91
gnome-dictionary-3.4.0
gnome-disk-utility-3.4.0
gnome-documents-3.5.91
gnome-doc-utils-0.20.10
gnome-extra-apps-3.4.1
gnome-fallback-3.4.1
gnome-font-viewer-3.5.91
gnome-games-3.4.2
gnome-icon-theme-3.5.90
gnome-icon-theme-extras-3.4.0
gnome-icon-theme-symbolic-3.5.90
gnome-keyring-3.5.91
gnome-keyring-python-2.32.0
gnome-menus-3.5.5
gnome-mime-data-2.18.0
gnome-nettool-3.2.0
gnome-online-accounts-3.5.91
gnome-panel-3.5.91
gnome-power-manager-3.5.90
gnome-pty-helper-0.32.2
gnome-python-base-2.28.1
gnome-python-desktop-base-2.32.0
gnome-python-extras-base-2.25.3
gnome-screensaver-3.5.5
gnome-screenshot-3.5.91
gnome-search-tool-3.4.0
gnome-session-3.5.91
gnome-settings-daemon-3.5.91
gnome-shell-9999
gnome-shell-extensions-9999
gnome-system-log-3.4.1
gnome-system-monitor-3.5.90.1
gnome-terminal-3.4.1.1
gnome-themes-standard-3.5.91
gnome-tweak-tool-3.5.5
gnome-user-docs-3.4.2
gnome-utils-3.4.0
gnome-vfs-2.24.4-r1
gnome-video-effects-0.4.0
libgnome-2.32.1-r1
libgnomecanvas-2.30.3
libgnomecanvas-python-2.28.1
libgnomecups-0.2.3-r3
libgnomekbd-3.4.0.2
libgnome-keyring-3.4.1
libgnome-media-profiles-3.0.0
libgnomeprint-2.18.8
libgnomeprintui-2.18.6
libgnomeui-2.24.5
libsoup-gnome-2.39.91
polkit-gnome-0.105
system-config-printer-gnome-1.3.11
rmcknt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if it runs or not depends on your use flags and the order in whick you compile the packages. For expample, there's no way I can compile gnome-contacts on my machine
9999 fails with error: Package `libebook-1.2' not found in specified Vala API directories or GObject-Introspection GIR directories
3.5.91 fails with /usr/include/cogl/cogl/cogl.h:48:31: fatal error: cogl/cogl-defines.h: No such file or directory
3.4.1 fails with gweather.h:17:40: fatal error: libgweather/gweather-gconf.h: No such file or directory (because of the new version of libgweather that evolution and friends require)

It's the same with gnome-applets. Also the new gnome lockscreen does not work. Once locked there's no way to unlock the screen. Because of the new evolution-data-server pidgin also only compiles with USE="-eds". GDM still does not work with the xdm init script. Evolution for itself crashed a lot, evolution-exchange does not work anymore (too old). etc etc

In essence, gnome3.5 really is experimental for the time being :)
newfuntek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To compile gnome-contacts-9999 from gnome overlay I had to do at least this:
ln -sfn /usr/include/clutter-gtk-1.0/clutter-gtk /usr/include/clutter-gtk;
ln -sfn /usr/include/json-glib-1.0/json-glib /usr/include/json-glib;
mv /usr/include/cogl /usr/include/cogl-1.10.2;
ln -sfn /usr/include/cogl-1.10.2/cogl /usr/include/cogl;
ln -sfn /usr/include/clutter-1.0/clutter /usr/include/clutter;
ln -sfn /usr/include/gstreamer-0.10/gst /usr/include/gst;

And even edited cheese headers ;)

Compilation of mesa-9_pre20120831-r1 with adding typeinfo header and evolution-3.5.91 with removing NULL from webkit function (they corrected mistakes from both sites, but in different directions).
So these commands were helpful:
cd to work directory of failed compilation
ebuild path-to-mesa-or-evolution-ebuild install
ebuild path-to-mesa-or-evolution-ebuild qmerge

gnome-applets-9999 were compiled after ubuntu patch gweather-3.6.patch:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-applets/3.5.1-0ubuntu2

gnome-screensaver-9999 needs some patches, too. Compiled it never unlocks.

Except gnome-screensaver-9999 and gnome shell extensions (with nvidia binary drivers they are automatically turned off) all things which I need work...

My use flags:
mail-client/evolution-3.5.91::gnome USE="crypt gnome-online-accounts ssl -doc -gstreamer -kerberos -ldap -map"
gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.5.91::gnome USE="gnome-online-accounts introspection ipv6 vala weather -doc -kerberos -ldap -test"
gnome-base/gnome-shell-9999 (bluetooth i18n -networkmanager -systemd)
rmcknt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I started messing around in the cogl header files too, but then decided to stop it and wait for gnome-overlay or upstream to fix it :)

gnome-applets has a low priority for me (as it is only used in gnome-fallback mode)

Does gnome-screensaver actually do anything related to locking the screen? I found that it still does not unlock even after I downgraded to gnome-screensaver-3.4.4 (or am I missing some specific package?).

The new gdm-3.5.91-r2 is now able to start a x session via init.d/xdm - but then gnome fails (uhuh, something went wrong, closing session, something like this) but I havent gotten around to review the log files and error messages.

gnome-shell-9999 works on my machine too :)
rmcknt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step at a time:

gnome-contacts-9999 requires USE="vala" for evolution-data-server
applying gweather-3.6.patch to gnome-applets-9999 worked too
qualar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmcknt wrote:
Also the new gnome lockscreen does not work. Once locked there's no way to unlock the screen.

I just had the same problem, it was because some binaries where linked against libraries that had been upgraded and old version no longer existed, running
Code:
revdep-rebuild
sorted the matter
rmcknt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that, but that's not it. Even unmerging gnome-screensaver does not work. You would expect to have no more screensaver and no more lockscreen. But you still can lock the screen. Seems like gnome-shell-9999 brings it's own integrated lockscreen. I am not sure about gnome-shell-3.5.91 though.
rmcknt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried nautilus-3.5.91 - and while everything works ok (and even looks nice) it seems like gnome devs have removed some usefull functions like tree view from nautilus. Have gnome devs lost touch with reality? Luckily it appears that there already some forks out there.
qualar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By adding a USE flag of "python" to libxml2-2.8.0-r2 I got cheese-3.4.2-41 to compile, which I think enabled me to emerge totem-3.4.3 & empathy-3.5.91.1
rmcknt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoohoo gdm-3.5.92.1 finally works with init.d/xdm (at least on my machine) :)
newfuntek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, gnome-shell-3.5.92 from gnome overlay works with intel, but with few extensions switched on. With nvidia-drivers-304.48 gnome-shell-9999 gives segfaults with any cflags, even most simple and after compiled with the same cflags cxxflags spidermonkey, gjs, mutter, what sometimes helps if you have in dmesg segfaults.

Finally, I tested it and gnome-shell-3.5.92 works with nvidia-drivers-304.51 (and '304.48') all the time.
Now, I installed just a lot of new related packages in gnome overlay and everything is fine without a need for 9999 packages!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: