Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Workaround] Syncing Galaxy S3: What mediaplayer is capable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: [Workaround] Syncing Galaxy S3: What mediaplayer is capable? Reply with quote

I recently got myself a Samsung Galaxy SIII and it is my first Android experience (previous phone was an LG Viewty KU990 which has Symbian) and this stuff is pretty cool I have to say :)

But now I want to put some music on there and I'm a little stuck. I normally use Clementine, but the phone simply doesn't show up in there. When opening in Dolphin, the directories remain empty (despite me having put quite some stuff in it).

So, what media software is capable of doing this and/or is any trickery required to make it work?

Last edited by Q-collective on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
roravun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, shouldn't the phone just show up as usb mass storage? That is my experience with all android phones I used.
Or you mean that the device is mounted, but anything but directories is not read?

Quote:
I normally use Clementine, but the phone simply doesn't show up in there

If the phone is connected as mass storage it could be required that you have .is_audio_player file in the root directory. At least I had to do that while using banshee some time ago.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer :)

roravun wrote:
Just out of curiosity, shouldn't the phone just show up as usb mass storage? That is my experience with all android phones I used.
Or you mean that the device is mounted, but anything but directories is not read?

The latter, yes. Apparently I also don't have write access. I can't manually (via Dolphin) put an mp3 in the phone root directory or any subdirectories. When I want to create a new directory I get "Creating folders is not supported with protocol camera." (although I use MTP, not PTP, for connection?)

Quote:
Quote:
I normally use Clementine, but the phone simply doesn't show up in there

If the phone is connected as mass storage it could be required that you have .is_audio_player file in the root directory. At least I had to do that while using banshee some time ago.

How to create one? And by root I presume you mean the phone root?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think S3 (still) allows the filesystem to be mounted over usb. To do that you have to go into settings and turn on usb storage.
roravun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Collective, yes, by root I mean phone root. However, AFAIK it is only needed for mp3 players and the like, when the device is in mass storage mode, so programs will treat is as media device.
You say that you are using MTP. I have no experience with that, since I have always switched any device to usb mode. I think you should first check if ppurka is right, and maybe you can just switch your phone into mass storage mode. If you can't do that anymore, emerge --search mtp dumps:

Code:

*  sys-fs/mtpfs
      Latest version available: 1.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 101 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.adebenham.com/mtpfs/
      Description:   A FUSE filesystem providing access to MTP devices
      License:       GPL-3

*  media-sound/gmtp [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 1.3.3
      Size of files: 884 kB
      Homepage:      http://gmtp.sourceforge.net/
      Description:   A simple MTP client for MP3 players
      License:       BSD

*  media-libs/libmtp
      Latest version available: 1.1.1
      Size of files: 627 kB
      Homepage:      http://libmtp.sourceforge.net
      Description:   An implementation of Microsoft's Media Transfer Protocol (MTP).
      License:       LGPL-2.1

Also If I rememeber correctly most well-known media players on linux ( rhythmbox, banshee, perhaps clementine) should support MTP out of the box, given you compiled it with appropiate flags.
For instance, when you run 'equery u rhythmbox' you will find that there is

Code:

- - mtp           : Enable support for Media Transfer Protocol

So you can first try to recompile your media player of choice with that flag enabled.

PS
You can find out more about .is_media_player here: https://live.gnome.org/Banshee/CommonQuestions/IsAudioPlayerFile
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
I think S3 (still) allows the filesystem to be mounted over usb. To do that you have to go into settings and turn on usb storage.

Nope, I just have MTP and PTP options.

roravun wrote:
Q-Collective, yes, by root I mean phone root. However, AFAIK it is only needed for mp3 players and the like, when the device is in mass storage mode, so programs will treat is as media device.

PS
You can find out more about .is_media_player here: https://live.gnome.org/Banshee/CommonQuestions/IsAudioPlayerFile

Right, thanks.

Quote:
You say that you are using MTP. I have no experience with that, since I have always switched any device to usb mode. I think you should first check if ppurka is right, and maybe you can just switch your phone into mass storage mode. If you can't do that anymore, emerge --search mtp dumps:

Code:

*  sys-fs/mtpfs
      Latest version available: 1.0
      Size of files: 101 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.adebenham.com/mtpfs/
      Description:   A FUSE filesystem providing access to MTP devices
      License:       GPL-3

*  media-sound/gmtp [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 1.3.3
      Size of files: 884 kB
      Homepage:      http://gmtp.sourceforge.net/
      Description:   A simple MTP client for MP3 players
      License:       BSD

*  media-libs/libmtp
      Latest version available: 1.1.1
      Size of files: 627 kB
      Homepage:      http://libmtp.sourceforge.net
      Description:   An implementation of Microsoft's Media Transfer Protocol (MTP).
      License:       LGPL-2.1

Also If I rememeber correctly most well-known media players on linux ( rhythmbox, banshee, perhaps clementine) should support MTP out of the box, given you compiled it with appropiate flags.
For instance, when you run 'equery u rhythmbox' you will find that there is

Code:

- - mtp           : Enable support for Media Transfer Protocol

So you can first try to recompile your media player of choice with that flag enabled.

Had a little "doh!" moment there and enabled the MTP flag and recompiled Clementine. But to no avail. I'm currently compiling clementine with: USE="cdda dbus ios* ipod* kde lastfm* mms* mtp projectm* udev (-ayatana) -test -wiimote"

If that doesn't do it, I'm still at a blank :(
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
Had a little "doh!" moment there and enabled the MTP flag and recompiled Clementine. But to no avail. I'm currently compiling clementine with: USE="cdda dbus ios* ipod* kde lastfm* mms* mtp projectm* udev (-ayatana) -test -wiimote"

If that doesn't do it, I'm still at a blank :(

And that's a nope again.
roravun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried another player? But I am afraid they all use the same library, so unless clementine is doing something wrong it probably won't work.

I found this: http://jaredleonmorgan.blogspot.com/2012/05/samsung-galaxy-s2-ics-no-longer-mounts.html. It says after you have connected the phone, the option (to mount in storage mode ) is missing, but you can switch to storage mode, by changing an option *before* you connect the phone. It is not your model though.

Regarding MTP, I would not be surprised if they intentionally did not comply with standards, so you can sync only using "approved/safe/whatever" software on "approved" operating system.

You can always consider freeing your android from insane restrictions (10 years old mobile phones are capable of syncing in mass storage mode) and install cyanogen mod, if it is supported. First thing I did to my android phone was rooting it, worked like a charm.
And it seems they support it: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III:_Full_Update_Guide . It will void your warranty though. However it will only be effectively void if you will be very unwise and return rooted phone to service point. You can always restore stock rom before sending it ;-)
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roravun wrote:
Have you tried another player? But I am afraid they all use the same library, so unless clementine is doing something wrong it probably won't work.

Yeah, I also compiled rhythmbox and banshee after my last post. Rhythmbox just crashes when I plug my phone in (lolwat) and banshee sees nothing still.

Quote:
Regarding MTP, I would not be surprised if they intentionally did not comply with standards, so you can sync only using "approved/safe/whatever" software on "approved" operating system.

Kinda afraid for the same...

Quote:
You can always consider freeing your android from insane restrictions (10 years old mobile phones are capable of syncing in mass storage mode) and install cyanogen mod, if it is supported. First thing I did to my android phone was rooting it, worked like a charm.
And it seems they support it: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III:_Full_Update_Guide . It will void your warranty though. However it will only be effectively void if you will be very unwise and return rooted phone to service point. You can always restore stock rom before sending it ;-)

Ok, but as I understand it, it's relatively easy for the carrier to see if a phone is rooted on Android (iOS is more difficult to see), so I'm hesitant about that.
roravun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the last part, why would the carrier have the interest to check if the phone is rooted?* The warranty (at least where I live) is provided by the hardware vendor, samsung , HTC. Unless you purchased the phone directly from the carrier. But even then, they have no resources to provide service, and I guess they just redirect the phones to vendor. But then you flash the backup image back and claim you haven't really used the phone, thats why time stamps are soo in the past :D

*Is this even possible? (I assume you meant remote check) I am aware that some phone models have malicious (mis)feature that allow phone's modem to spy on the cpu memory (See http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/SamsungModemIssues ). But if this is missing I seriously doubt one could detect rooted phone. The network only communicates via modem, that always runs the same firmware.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just found out about AirDroid which tackles my needs in a somewhat different way. Awesome app!

So, this issue isn't solved, but this is a good workaround.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
Ok, I just found out about AirDroid which tackles my needs in a somewhat different way. Awesome app!

Whoa! The permissions required are crazy! But I guess it can't be avoided.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

I'm sorry, what do you mean? AirDroid doesn't need fiddling with permissions.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
ppurka wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

What I meant was the huge list of permissions it requires. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Q-collective wrote:
ppurka wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

What I meant was the huge list of permissions it requires. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

Ah, right, yeah. C'est la vie.
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use subsonic. Works great with my flac library, and doesn't transcode to mp3.
The Android app is great, allowing offline playing to avoid streaming charges.

Playing in the browser on the server doesn't work, so use banshee or smplayer instead.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective, I have to thank you for mentioning AirDroid. What a great app! I just read your post today and immediately installed AirDroid and used it to move a bunch of files from my laptop to my new Samsung Galaxy Note II. I am so impressed with AirDroid that I have just blogged about it: AirDroid, a handy Android app for managing your phone from Linux.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective and Fitzcarraldo,
thank you so much for mentioning AirDroid. I was about to go nuts. I finally got my first android phone "Samsung Galaxy Note II" like Fitzcarraldo. Noting worked for connecting the phone to the pc. Even samsung kies software could not connect the phone in windows. AirDroid works almost perfect in my gentoo. The only complaint is; it wants quicktime to play videos (and the slowness of wifi file transfer).
I am so happy. Thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: