Dropbox Automatic Updates
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasealpers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Dropbox Automatic Updates Reply with quote

I have installed Dropbox via the ebuild which apparently is downlevel from what dropbox is expecting.

Code:

[D] net-misc/dropbox
     Available versions:  ~1.2.13!m!s ~1.2.13-r1!m!s ~1.2.13-r2!m!s ~1.2.24!m!s ~1.2.24-r1!m!s ~1.2.48!m!s
     Installed versions:  1.2.48-r1!m!s(15:27:40 06/15/12)
     Homepage:            http://dropbox.com/
     Description:         Dropbox daemon (pretends to be GUI-less).

Dropbox is automatically downloading a tarball with what looks to be an upgrade (dropbox-upgrade-1.4.7.tar.gz) and placing it in .dropbox.cache. I'm getting a new tarball about every 30 minutes. At about 18MB a piece, this starts taking up disk space quickly (I noticed it when my backup failed due to an additional 20GB of dropbox upgrade files).

Has anyone else run into this or know how to stop dropbox from doing this? I'd prefer to stay with the stable gentoo version rather than upgrade outside of portage. I suppose I could write a quick cron job to clean this stuff up every so often, but I assume there must be a way to stop dropbox from doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Jase
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes it's normal for Dropbox to download something, there is a proprietary daemon that it downloads after installing. Had this on other distros. Also, every now and again they will push an update when your dropbox connects.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

Linux Systems Limited | Masternode Monitoring
jasealpers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. My problem is that "every now and again" is every 30 minutes. So, in just one day I end up with around 50 update files. Since my post a few days ago, I've already accumulated over 2G of identical update files. There has to be someway to disable this?

Any ideas?
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I would contact dropbox about these updates. In the past when I've had one machine running a later version of dropbox, I informed them that my other machines were still running the older version and they then did something so that it would send the updates to my other two machines. Perhaps when you contact them about this, they'll be able to stop these updates coming down so frequently.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

Linux Systems Limited | Masternode Monitoring
johnmatthews920
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard time finding this post. I'm glad i'm here finally...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: