gentoo-sources >=3.3.8 deep sleep issue [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: gentoo-sources >=3.3.8 deep sleep issue [solved] Reply with quote

I upgraded to 3.3.8 last week and was having problems with waking my computer from sleep with the keyboard. I wrote a script to do that and it's been working fine.

For the last two days my computer goes into a very deep sleep overnight. I tried an older kernel and it doesn't have the issue. Basically it goes to sleep and it won't wake up (even with the power button.) Only way is power off the PSU and reboot. Of course the imsm array doesn't like that and it wants to rebuild every time.

During my troubleshooting I accidently did a depclean that removed all old kernels, so I no longer have that to refer to.

The other issues I've been having (with 3.4.9 specifically) is that there's a 50/50 chance that X won't start (nvidia-drivers, tried even unstable versions.) Going back to 3.3.8 X starts every time. I'm amazed it's been marked as stable. This is the first time in years that I've had any sort of issue with the kernel.

Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited by danomac on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is your problem, but somewhere around the 3.0 point the requirements to enable wakeup changed. It used to be a simple "echo ${usbName} >/proc/acpi/wakeup". Now you have to wade into the /sys tree and enable wakeup at a more fine-grained level. Take a look at this thread for better information:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-933934-highlight-.html
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one who wrote that article. This issue is a little different - my computer will wake some of the time (with keyboard or power button) but it regularly falls into a sleep where neither will wake the machine. Prior to 3.3.8 I could literally sleep 100 times with no issues. Now it seems I'm lucky if a get a few with no problems.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, my PSU was dying - the 5V rail dropped to 4.08 volts after it sat for a while.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: