I'm Back!!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: I'm Back!!!! Reply with quote

Hi fellow gentooers! i'm coming back after a much too long hiatus and brain fart. it's good to be home again and can't wait to be a part of the community again. :) i'm installing gentoo again because other linux's just fail for me and my needs, and windows always fails, that's a given...

can't wait to get started! installing gentoo again! wish me luck!
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been waiting for you; a lot of people have left Gentoo but they always come back.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which "other Linux's" did you try, just out of interest?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just ruined my plans, my bright-to-be future without Gentoo, after reading your post I realized there is no escape ... running eix-sync again :( I think my doctor was right when I complained about my addiction, she suggested to consult my caretaker instead ... :P
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Which "other Linux's" did you try, just out of interest?
about 6 months ago, i installed ubuntu, which, don't get me wrong, if you want a pre-configured kernel, uncustomizable install, is great. i bought a fujitsu t580 and saw in some circles that some were able to get the ntrig multitouch screen/tablet to work. i was not. so i just stuck with win7 pro 64 bit for whatever reason. i have plans to install gentoo on that laptop, just want to get the pc install over with first. now compiling the latest kernel in gentoo-sources as i type. i love multitasking :)
i installed ubuntu on the desktop and could not for the life of me deal with the unbearable lag. so much is compiled into the kernel that is so unnecessary and the processes were just bogging this hog -- as it is -- down. then tried absolute which, in theory is a great flavor, practice, too :) however, it lacked the support i desired. i get lazy and just don't want to wait for an iso to dl or because i have kids, i have a life, so i just don't want to have to waste my time troubleshooting every five seconds.
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
You just ruined my plans, my bright-to-be future without Gentoo, after reading your post I realized there is no escape ... running eix-sync again :( I think my doctor was right when I complained about my addiction, she suggested to consult my caretaker instead ... :P
LOL -- ? i'm not going to apologize, if that's ok with you :) i think i did you somewhat of a service? :)
cryptosteve
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all come back - welcome home. :)
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monicajae wrote:
i bought a fujitsu t580 and saw in some circles that some were able to get the ntrig multitouch screen/tablet to work.

Congratulations, I've got the same nice device here! And guess what.... the touchscreen is working quite well with newer kernels! ....Even a bit too well... If I'm using it in the garden I always have to "rmmod ntrig", as some dust always tries to touch everything on the screen! :roll:

Welcome back!
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
monicajae wrote:
i bought a fujitsu t580 and saw in some circles that some were able to get the ntrig multitouch screen/tablet to work.

Congratulations, I've got the same nice device here! And guess what.... the touchscreen is working quite well with newer kernels! ....Even a bit too well... If I'm using it in the garden I always have to "rmmod ntrig", as some dust always tries to touch everything on the screen! :roll: Welcome back!

Hey that is awesome! you know, if there are any tips and info or config files you can pass this way, iwould love to check em out. btw, how did you describe your cflags in make.conf? i have the i3, but it's in the same class as the 5 and 7, i believe... my scope is pretty limited regarding cpus, but i know some essentials. i've noticed that some have used the variable "core2". that sounds right considering it is a multiprocessor.

i love my little baby! i haven't had any issues with this at all. it looks a little old school, but if one can overlook that, it's not a bother. hey, do you have excessive give in the left most keys side of the board? mine seems awfully loose and i'm not sure if it's a lack of screw problem. it is missing a screw, but i did try to insert another, but it didn't seem that the one at that end of the bottom didn't attach to anything that may hold the screw into place. i hoped that made sense.

i had to LOL at your dust comment. ironically, i found it rather inspiring, but i bet you are feeling like a pig in mud (editted for decency ;) ) that it works epically well! i know i would. so anything you can pass on to me would be greatly appreciated. i've been waiting to bump into someone with the same config. this is terrific! thanks for the warm welcome. i knew i was making the best decision to come back to this community. i always felt very comfortable with the level of acceptance, especially with newcomers, and encouragement. very familial now that i know what i missed when away i feel sad! like i can't get it back.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the i5 version with 8G ram and ssd without bluetooth and cam.

Do you mean the "all, rotate and menu" buttons? or the wireless kill switch? I don't see any missing screws and everything seems to be tight enough. Also the keyboard is nice.
I don't know how it is in your country, but the support here from fujitsu is really good and friendly... I once lost the L key on my old p7120 (a book corner slipped under it and when i pulled the book back, the key literally jumped out of the keyboard!) and they replaced it within half an hour. I would probably just ask there if they can send you the right screw! :wink:

Here's my make.conf. Just use "native" as cflags and gcc will decide which optimizations it will enable for your cpu.
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
USE="minizip bittorrent kde rtmp matroska mikmod icu msn gps projectm spell mmx sse sse2 X alsa qt rdp vnc rtsp nsplugin sse3 sse4 kde mp3 threads lame ffmpeg gd mplayer thumbnails opengl ogg theora vlc truetype upnp vaapi"
LINGUAS="de"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse synaptics joystick"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

Don't forget to eselect the right profile for your DE to get some more useflags.

This is the only thing i have in xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "N-Trig Multitouch"
        MatchProduct "N-Trig MultiTouch"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "NumberTouchPoints" "4"
EndSection

Another nice tip if you've also got plenty of ram is to speed up compilation time with a ramdisk...
Just add that line to your fstab:
Code:

tmpfs                   /var/tmp/portage        tmpfs   size=2g         0 0

For compiling libreoffice or such a beast you can just unmount /var/tmp/portage or increase the size "mount -o remount,size=9g /var/tmp/portage/" -you will need some swap if it is larger than the actual ram... :wink:

I once played with android-x86 on it which worked quite well with the multitouch after a few hacks... maybe the next version will work out of the box!

I haven't tested the newest xorg which also should work with multitouch... I guess it needs some more time to get it everywhere working useful (kde/gnome). But nevertheless it's cool to play solitaire with the finger and switching between different windows is also nice, if it is intended and not just dust...! :wink:

Let me know if you would like to have my kernel config or anything else.
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, so i have a, i3. for my lifestyle right now it suits my needs perfectly. i literally spent two years looking for what that is. small, relatively powerful, it's got 6gig ram, the intelhd, sim card slot under the battery, atheros b,g,n wifi, gigabit ethernet. and all the other stuff. this thread was very cathartic for me. thanks guys for saying hi and just visiting in general. i'm gonna need to post some threadsregarding my installs. hope to see you soon!
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would probably just ask there if they can send you the right screw!

You know, I just may give it a try! Thanks!

M :D
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
I've got the i5 version with 8G ram and ssd without bluetooth and cam.

Do you mean the "all, rotate and menu" buttons? or the wireless kill switch? I don't see any missing screws and everything seems to be tight enough. Also the keyboard is nice.
I don't know how it is in your country, but the support here from fujitsu is really good and friendly... I once lost the L key on my old p7120 (a book corner slipped under it and when i pulled the book back, the key literally jumped out of the keyboard!) and they replaced it within half an hour. I would probably just ask there if they can send you the right screw! :wink:

Here's my make.conf. Just use "native" as cflags and gcc will decide which optimizations it will enable for your cpu.
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
USE="minizip bittorrent kde rtmp matroska mikmod icu msn gps projectm spell mmx sse sse2 X alsa qt rdp vnc rtsp nsplugin sse3 sse4 kde mp3 threads lame ffmpeg gd mplayer thumbnails opengl ogg theora vlc truetype upnp vaapi"
LINGUAS="de"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse synaptics joystick"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

Don't forget to eselect the right profile for your DE to get some more useflags.

This is the only thing i have in xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "N-Trig Multitouch"
        MatchProduct "N-Trig MultiTouch"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "NumberTouchPoints" "4"
EndSection

Another nice tip if you've also got plenty of ram is to speed up compilation time with a ramdisk...
Just add that line to your fstab:
Code:

tmpfs                   /var/tmp/portage        tmpfs   size=2g         0 0

For compiling libreoffice or such a beast you can just unmount /var/tmp/portage or increase the size "mount -o remount,size=9g /var/tmp/portage/" -you will need some swap if it is larger than the actual ram... :wink:

I once played with android-x86 on it which worked quite well with the multitouch after a few hacks... maybe the next version will work out of the box!

I haven't tested the newest xorg which also should work with multitouch... I guess it needs some more time to get it everywhere working useful (kde/gnome). But nevertheless it's cool to play solitaire with the finger and switching between different windows is also nice, if it is intended and not just dust...! :wink:

I will try all of these nativemad! thanks for this. you will be hearing from me regarding this thing.

i'm gonna need you to explain this to me, is the size=9g parameter an alternate swap size?

Quote:

Quote:

yes that would definitely be awesome!

M
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monicajae wrote:

i'm gonna need you to explain this to me, is the size=9g parameter an alternate swap size?

Quote:

size=9g means that you can make a ramdrive bigger than the actual ram size... 9gb ramdrive for /var/tmp/portage with 8gb ram ;-).
If you really need the space (as it's the case during libreoffice compilation) it will automatically put parts into swap that won't fit into ram anymore. It is still faster than the usual compilation directly on the disk.
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
monicajae wrote:

Quote:

size=9g means that you can make a ramdrive bigger than the actual ram size... 9gb ramdrive for /var/tmp/portage with 8gb ram ;-).
If you really need the space (as it's the case during libreoffice compilation) it will automatically put parts into swap that won't fit into ram anymore. It is still faster than the usual compilation directly on the disk.

i would love your kernel config. i just compiled mine and am crossing my fingers. with my old pc i had to resort to genkernel.

YIKES
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, and welcome back!

I have been absent from the forums for quite a while myself, so it feels like as if I might be coming home as well... well, for coffee and maybe some cookies at least while checking if there's anyone I can help with something.

I never departed from Gentoo yet though, and haven't had any regrets since I started using it soon 2 years ago, which might be not much, but certainly taught me a lot (that would be everything I know about Linux now, which again, might not be that much, but I'm still using Gentoo so I would imagine I'm doing at least something right, right?).

Have fun, and enjoy!

See you around~
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monicajae wrote:

i would love your kernel config. i just compiled mine and am crossing my fingers. with my old pc i had to resort to genkernel.

Ok, sorry for the delay... it's here https://madathome.nativenet.ch/mad-t580-kernel-3.4.0.config
It is probably not as perfect as it could be, but works nice for me(TM).
Just download it somewhere and load it within menuconfig, then safe it as /usr/src/linux/.config and you should be fine.
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must say that i am very satisfied with the working multitouch and compiz-fuzion :) i love compiz, sorry to hear that support will be ending for it--at least last i heard...

i love being able to rotate the desktop cube with my finger! and just basic fundamental crap that only linux/compiz seem to offer. because i have a personalized kernel--with help :)--this little baby runs soooo efficiently. i could probably tweak it out a little more which may be my next project. lol also to get the wireless working and the iphone tethering to work will be a bit of a challenge...maybe? love you guys!

M :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: