forum is difficult to read from smart phone. short term solved
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: forum is difficult to read from smart phone. short term solv Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there any work being done to improve the forum's look for mobile devices? I have a nonfunctional Gentoo box and the only viable web browser is an android phone.

I would hope to get html5 support with css for smart phones and tablets.

please excuse the terseness of this post.

Last edited by 1clue on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likely not, but phpbb-2 seems to work ok on my Symbian phone. Not great but it's at least usable.
Symbian is using a Webkit based browser.

Definitely not designed for touchscreen in mind, and not very likely f.g.o will convert to something else as even the phpbb3 switchover is kind of hard to do....
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issue is screen size. The forum seems to insist on a specific screen width, and on my phone it means you scroll over a page or two every line, and then scroll back to read the next part.

I've noticed that html5 is fairly well implemented by Android, at least for the features which were desperately needed. If the layouts could be changed to generate html5 content and then add css for phones and tablets, then I would be happy with that.

Firefox on Android already allows double-click to zoom an article, but since site uses fixed widths it pretty much disallows text wrapping or any of the other things that make a smart phone able to read it.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not master of webdesign, but AFAIK there's the possibility to force-wrap content using CSS, so you might do better with a custom stylesheet - provided you find a way to enable it on your phone.

Myself, I don't have a problem, at least in landscreen-mode, but then again I've got a 1280x720 display.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on a desktop there's occasional threads where someone posts something that makes the entire page three screens wide. Ideally it should be confined to the one post causing problems.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx, you're a wonderful person. Yet again you unlocked my brain to let the juices flow from within!

Ugh. that sounds like you bashed my head open with a rock. I gotta work on my metaphors.

Anyway, i remembered that this is firefox.

about:config, search on wrap, check the box. restart browser.

Thanks!
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it works, enjoy :)

As for your main concern, I'd second the request for a more modern forums software, problem is our forum devs/admins have pretty high standards and demands and since there's been no update to phpbb3 as of today, adapting can take quite a while. Tapatalk would also be acceptable, but yet again, that isn't compatible with the current forums software without jumping through a lot of hoops.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit strange to hear that Gentoo might change to another app. IMO this is the best laid out forum anywhere. All the features I use regularly are easy to get at.

Maybe I should get on the phpbbs forum and be noisy.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another app? If you mean that for Tapatalk, it's merely a kind of plug-in automatically providing mobilized versions of the forum's content.

The discussion to update the board to phpbb3 is going on for years, but AFAIK it's not done somewhere in the open(haven't found some kind of mailinglist on that topic), every now and then someone pops up asking when we're getting upgraded, someone jumps in and says 'when it's done', but so far IIRC no admin jumped in and presented an actual roadmap or an update if it's still on the to-do stack or we're "doomed" to use this version forever.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I guess the first thing is, I assume the admins have done some sort of changes to this one.

Do you know if the changes are in source control somewhere? Github or svn or something?

It's possible to retroactively apply your changes to svn, for example, and then upgrade the bbs and your changes come with it. Your website admins might not know about that but I guarantee your programmers do.

That might help ease the pain of an upgrade.

Another thing, you need to have a VM or another piece of hardware to test the upgrade on, and for the developer to work from.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forums sources & patches can be found in the following link, I'm not sure that is all though, maybe there are now other places around since many devs are switching to git.

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-projects/forums/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: