Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Skype vs. Google Talk vs. others, including quote pyramids!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Skype vs. Google Talk vs. others, including quote pyramids! Reply with quote

You still use Microsoft Skype? What about other alternatives? like gtalk?

I suspect this version to intentionally have a lot of vulnerabilities and maybe a few spyware and viruses.

Split off from the original topic Skype 4.0 for Linux (becoming off-topic there) --Earthwings
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:

I suspect this version to intentionally have a lot of vulnerabilities and maybe a few spyware and viruses.

what's gtalk?
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:

unfortunately many of us are stuck with skype so long as our non-technical friends who can't/don't want to/both are using it.
try getting sales people who exclusively use Windows or OSX to use something other than skype. It'd be as excruciating as trying to get people to delete their facebook and move to Diaspora :)

i dont like being stuck with skype. but i am stuck with skype for work.

i will not, however, rely on skype should i find myself a political dissident somewhere!
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
what's gtalk?

http://www.google.com/talk/
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
what's gtalk?

same crap as skype, I see no difference.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
what's gtalk?

What? It's protocol is documented, what else do you want? It's not a monopolistic closed source carp like Skype with it's propitiatory client which may turn non-free any second.
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
what's gtalk?

What? It's protocol is documented, what else do you want? It's not a monopolistic closed source carp like Skype with it's propitiatory client which may turn non-free any second.

for my information not to be used by greedy corporates such as google which instead of keeping my privacy they sell it to whom they want.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
what's gtalk?

for my information not to be used by greedy corporates such as google which instead of keeping my privacy they sell it to whom they want.

Is MS different? Infact they're more greedy.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to receive calls from or place calls to regular phones you're going to have to use some greedy corporation's infrastructure.

If you don't need that functionality, there are several options.
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
what's gtalk?

MS are not into information collection as google is, IHMO, you're issue with skype is anti MS.
without data collection, there is no google, that cannot be said on MS.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
what's gtalk?

MS are not into information collection as google is, IHMO, you're issue with skype is anti MS.

And without money there's no MS. It's hard to believe they're providing 'free' services without any ads, in fact you always have to pay to get anything done at Microsoft, so it's hard to believe Skype is free.

BTW I really don't mind my personal information being scraped by bots to personalize search results and ads. Has there been any evidence that Facebook or Google have been providing the info to contact it's customers personally?
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
what's gtalk?

And without money there's no MS. It's hard to believe they're providing 'free' services without any ads, in fact you always have to pay to get anything done at Microsoft, so it's hard to believe Skype is free.

BTW I really don't mind my personal information being scraped by bots to personalize search results and ads. Has there been any evidence that Facebook or Google have been providing the info to contact it's customers personally?

nowadays information is power do you really think the services given by google or facebook are free? nothing is free.

why do you think that it is so hard to instruct both companies to hand over all the info they have one you to you and delete it.
why it is ok for a private company (where money is whats count) is to hold complete profiles on someone but it is wrong for a government to have such profile?

the fact that you are getting personalized ads shows that google are using your personal information for their own gain.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know they're not free, and that's what I was trying to tell in the previous post; MS also earns money doing the same trick (in a more un-optimized way) as Google an Facebook do; so if all of these belong to the same category, gtalk is a better option cause of it's openness and verity in clients.

A company will buy data mostly for statistical purposes indirectly contacting their target clients (like a public account in facebook, a mail to a public ID) such that the person is not concerned with questions like "How did he get my phone number and my personal non-public email ID and address?".
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
Yes, I know they're not free, and that's what I was trying to tell in the previous post; MS also earns money doing the same trick (in a more un-optimized way) as Google an Facebook do; so if all of these belong to the same category, gtalk is a better option cause of it's openness and verity in clients.

A company will buy data mostly for statistical purposes indirectly contacting their target clients (like a public account in facebook, a mail to a public ID) such that the person is not concerned with questions like "How did he get my phone number and my personal non-public email ID and address?".

but when the company behind gtalk is all about the information, I'll take my chances with the one from MS.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:

but when the company behind gtalk is all about the information, I'll take my chances with the one from MS.

Microsoft is not about information?
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
dE_logics wrote:

Microsoft is not about information?

take the information part out of MS, what will be left? OS and office.
do the same to google, what will be left? nothing.
Earthwings
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off Skype 4.0 for Linux (becoming off-topic there).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: