CUPS does not work as a client [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IsmoHaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: CUPS does not work as a client [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Ok. This is a rather frustrating issue... I have a printer server running, and setting up a client to work with it has always been as easy as editing /etc/cups/client.conf to look like this:
Code:
Encryption IfRequested
ServerName 192.168.1.1

I recently re-installed my system, and to my dismay I find that printing doesn't work. :cry:
After googling parsing config files and swearing loudly I found this in /var/log/cups/error_log (a new line like this appears every time cupsd is restarted):
Code:
E [09/Aug/2012:09:36:53 +0300] Unable to open listen socket for address [v1.::1]:631 - Address family not supported by protocol.

Googling the error message did not turn up anything helpful, so... Does anyone have clue as to what the hell is going on, or better yet, how to fix it? Oh, and BTW the problem is not with the server. All my other machines still print just fine. The problem is with this new installation. I'm using cups 1.6.1 with the following USE flags:
Code:
USE="X acl dbus filters gnutls pam ssl threads usb -avahi -debug -java -kerberos -python (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -xinetd -zeroconf" LINGUAS="-ca -es -ja"

Last edited by IsmoHaa on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Skymotz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::1 is the ipv6 version of 127.0.0.1 in ipv4, so I would guess that cups is trying to open a port on ipv6 but as it says your system (probably your kernel) doesn't support it.
Code:

cd /usr/src/linux
cat .config | grep IPV6

should tell you that. As to how this creates problems I'm not sure: At http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-cupsd-conf.html it says
Quote:
listen - Listen or Port errors are fatal, except for IPv6 failures on the loopback or "any" addresses
where loopback address is the "::1"
IsmoHaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
cat .config | grep IPV6

I don't even have to look. I just compiled my kernel 2 days ago and I left out IPv6 support becuase I figured it wasn't needed. In fact I still don't understand why CUPS would need that. Since when is it necessary to compile in IPv6 kernel support in order to access an IPv4 address?
LoneFox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cups 1.6 is broken on purpose. There is a package named cups-filters which may or may not fix it, but the easiest solution is downgrading to 1.5 series.

The ipv6 error is probably harmless. I get it too, but printing works regardless.
IsmoHaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cups 1.6 is broken on purpose. There is a package named cups-filters which may or may not fix it, but the easiest solution is downgrading to 1.5 series.

Thank you very much for this piece of information. I already had cups-filters installed - but if that had fixed the problem I wouldn't have had to make this thread. :)
I downgraded to 1.5.3 (had to uninstall cups-filters due to conflicting files) and now it just works(tm).
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoneFox wrote:

I also need to thank you. I have had CUPS 1.6 (and cups-filters) installed for a while but my Canon PIXMA MP560 printer connected directly to my laptop via USB was always skipping printing the last few lines of every one-page document I printed. It was driving me nuts and I had begun to suspect that the printer was defective.

I downgraded to CUPS 1.5.3, masked the problematic CUPS 1.6 in package.mask, and can again print documents properly. :roll:

Fitzcarraldo's blog
cruzki123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem but downgrading does not fix the problem for me :( How can I tell cups that look only to ipv4 address?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: