Happy with my Gentoo setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shimbob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Happy with my Gentoo setup Reply with quote

Thought I'd post a little success story of my home setup.

I'm running a Dell PowerEdge 2600 as a headless server, dual 3.2ghz CPUs, 3x73MB drives in RAID0, a LSI 3801X SAS card with 2x2TB WD Red drives in an external enclosure.

The 3x73MB drives are used as a general network share and also to store centralized /usr/portage and /var/lib/layman directories which are shared over NFS to my 4 other gentoo boxes. The server runs Squid, NFS server, Samba, distccd, saned for an epson scanner, and CUPS for a HP LJ5MP.

The 2x2TB drives are together as a BTRFS partition and shared as /mnt/blackhole. I'm aware BTRFS is experimental hence the name blackhole. This partition is slowly accumulating my library of DVDs.

Next up is using my server with multi-seated XBMC. I intend to use a PCI video card with HDMI output to feed my livingroom TV with XBMC. Once that works, I intend to add more PCI HDMI cards to feed other rooms. I have a HD-5500 HDTV card waiting to be included as well for local OTA channels.

[edit]
Oh ya, I also share over NFS /usr/src, and use the KBUILD_OUTPUT=/usr/src/`hostname` variable to keep a single copy of kernel sources on the server.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you need is a good headless firewall like openbsd with pf and use that as a router
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
shimbob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, the router is a Linksys WRT320N with DD-WRT. Does the job just fine. I've even added firewall commands to the router to reroute outgoing http requests back to the squid server (ie transparent proxy). And the Squid server has rules for stripping out ads.
shimbob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: 10 years later, same f'ing problem Reply with quote

package ati-drivers-12.6 seems incompatible with kernel 3.5.0. I remember this kind of problem 10 years ago, ATI seems to ignore the presence of -RC kernel releases to stay one step ahead.

/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-12.6/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_fpu_begin':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-12.6/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:5846:9: error: implicit declaration of function '__save_init_fpu' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
mrmylanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice set up. I want to set up a nice home network similar to that, one day when I have more time, however I recently had a 3 month old, so that'll be a while!

Your setup is pretty similar to what I was thinking of doing, however.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: