Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zlm wrote:
I think x11-misc/ptbatterysystemtray-9999.ebuild is broken in two ways. In the line before the last, it should read "ptbatterysystemtray.pro" (lowercase).

This has been fixed. Also, there is now a 1.0.0_rc2 ebuild in portage.

zlm wrote:
Also, it now depends on qt-gui-4.8.1.

Where do you see this requirement?

john-doe wrote:
Don't see on that list screensavers...can someone recommend me a nice one for razor?

8O People still use screensavers? I'd much rather my screen blanks and goes into power-save mode.

That said, if there is something Qt-based, we can add it to the list.

Spidey wrote:
Andromeda [...], but I can't build it.

Thanks for the bug report! This should be fixed now.

Edit: The packages I add to portage only get ~amd64 keywords as that is all I am personally testing on. If you want/need keywords for other arches, please file a bug, so we can have the arch teams test and keyword those packages.
KP1723
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I was motivated enough to post in the forums. I just wanted to say that this is great stuff and thanks for getting it all rolling.

EDIT: After using Razor-qt for several hours I have to say it works well. It could use some better widgets though, like say a terminal program, a clock you can resize, etc. I am lousy at coding, so I have to ask: How hard would it be to adapt existing plasma widgets into simpler and purely qt formats for use with Razor-qt?

KP

Don't be like this guy!
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added some more applications to the official portage tree recently. The latest version of nomacs (image viewer) is very usable. There are also two RSS/Atom feed readers added: QuiteRSS and RSSGuard. I've made a snapshot of QTerminal and added it, but personally I think this still needs polishing. And qlipper (clipboard history applet for the systray) is now also in the portage tree.

Check out our wiki page at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Qt/Desktop

KP1723 wrote:
After using Razor-qt for several hours I have to say it works well. It could use some better widgets though, like say a terminal program, a clock you can resize, etc. I am lousy at coding, so I have to ask: How hard would it be to adapt existing plasma widgets into simpler and purely qt formats for use with Razor-qt?

I have no idea. But my guess is that plasma widgets rely heavily on the underlying KDE technologies. I also haven't looked into how Razor-qt is doing desktop widgets. That said, it should be fairly simple to make Qt widgets using QML (basically javascript and CSS).
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
I've made a snapshot of QTerminal and added it, but personally I think this still needs polishing.

I wanted to try this out, but it does not seem to be in portage...

And by the way, thanks for bringing in all those cool Qt apps! :D
john-doe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
cool Qt apps!

The 'best' DE after kde...period!next!! :P
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
yngwin wrote:
I've made a snapshot of QTerminal and added it, but personally I think this still needs polishing.

I wanted to try this out, but it does not seem to be in portage...

I thought I had committed this, but apparently not. It should be available now.

Etal wrote:
And by the way, thanks for bringing in all those cool Qt apps! :D

You're welcome! It's our pleasure...
KP1723
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
I have no idea. But my guess is that plasma widgets rely heavily on the underlying KDE technologies. I also haven't looked into how Razor-qt is doing desktop widgets. That said, it should be fairly simple to make Qt widgets using QML (basically javascript and CSS).

I think I'll let someone else handle that. I can barely follow a shell script :P

I see ucpfreq and silicon-empire are heading for the qt overlay. I would really like to test those when they get into portage.

KP

Don't be like this guy!
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

Currently I am realizing more and more that I do not use many of the extended features provided by KDE4. Activities? Great idea, but I have no use for them. Plasma Widgets? They are great, but the only one I am using is a second folder view (for documentations), and razorqt can do it, too. Akonadi? Fine! But as kmail has problems with our (ancient and buggy) IMAP server at work, I'll switch back to thunderbird soon, I guess. The indexing (strigi + nepomuk) is rather useful, as I am using krunner a lot. But it only saves a little bit of typing. And krunner itself (Alt+F2) works in razorqt, too.

However, I have three issues with razorqt and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Those three issues are features from KDE4 that I can't substitute right now. But I bet it can be done.
  1. Hibernate by fn key.
    I am used to press fn+F1 on my laptop to put it into hibernation. As I am taking my laptop with me on public transport to and from work, this is rather helpful. How can this be done/configured/accomplished in razorqt? currently I have to type in "sudo hibernate-ram" everytime, which is rather annoying.
  2. Is there a working system tray for razorqt?
    I do use a lot of programs (like davmail, kteatime and wicd-client-kde) that are accessible through the system tray. In razorqt, they do not show up, however.
  3. Switching monitors.
    When I attach a second monitor (at work) to the laptop, I can still use the kdesystemsettings to activate it. But in razorqt it is black and has a different mouse theme. Further the screens are no longer switched primary<->secondary. What am I missing?
Apart from those three, razorqt is really great. But I'll stick to kwin, as its font display is a lot smoother than openbox. I am a programmer getting paid for starring at text all day, so smooth font display is rather essential. (And I am rather fond of the kwin blur effect. ;))

However, thanks for bringing in razorqt, I really like it and am looking forward to switching fully in the near future. Actually, on my desktop system at work, I have already switched, as those three issues above play no role on a stationary desktop.

Edith just saw: KP1723, if you want to have a quick terminal program for your desktop, you might like yakuake. ;)
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Yamakuzure
Probably an alternative:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=426946
The runner comes up with Alt+Space by default (it uses kde, if krunner is installed it would trigger a conflict in global shortcuts), but you can change it in kcmshell4 keys, "BE::shell"-component, "BE::Run::showAsDialog"-action.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
  1. Hibernate by fn key.
    I am used to press fn+F1 on my laptop to put it into hibernation. As I am taking my laptop with me on public transport to and from work, this is rather helpful. How can this be done/configured/accomplished in razorqt? currently I have to type in "sudo hibernate-ram" everytime, which is rather annoying.

Since you use KWin, I am not sure. If I were looking into using key-bindings, I would do it in Openbox' configuration.

Yamakuzure wrote:
  • Is there a working system tray for razorqt?
    I do use a lot of programs (like davmail, kteatime and wicd-client-kde) that are accessible through the system tray. In razorqt, they do not show up, however.

• RazorQt comes with a systemtray. It works perfectly fine for me.

Yamakuzure wrote:
  • Switching monitors.
    When I attach a second monitor (at work) to the laptop, I can still use the kdesystemsettings to activate it. But in razorqt it is black and has a different mouse theme. Further the screens are no longer switched primary<->secondary. What am I missing?

• Not sure about this one, but it could be because some KDE services (like kded) are not running. Maybe it needs configuration at the X level.

Yamakuzure wrote:
    Apart from those three, razorqt is really great. But I'll stick to kwin, as its font display is a lot smoother than openbox. I am a programmer getting paid for starring at text all day, so smooth font display is rather essential. (And I am rather fond of the kwin blur effect. ;))

I'm not sure what difference you're seeing in font display, but this could be fixed with proper font configuration and Openbox themeing.
    Yamakuzure
    Advocate
    Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I found some solutions:
    1. Systemtray:
      It works, but some applications simply have no icon.
    2. Switching Monitors:
      A nice workaround is to use the kde systemsettings to enable/disable the second monitor. Then use the razor-qt configuration to remove and reenable razor-qt to control the desktop. The Desktop module then gets restarted and takes over the second monitor.
      (I bet this can be done in a lot easier way!)
    3. Hibernate:
      After installing ptbatterysystemtray the razorqt menu gets new items for suspending and hibernating.
    Everything looks solid so far.
    M
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried vim-qt from qt overlay, it is great :)
    tclover
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello razor-qt users,
    how do you start a razor-session? by a display manager? or a bare ~/.xinitrc?
    i was enough curious to discover lxdm so i merged the other day but it does not work that well yet: i can launch lxdm just fine in a X session (just like razor-session) but when launched with xdm it does not always work. to make a long story short, i did not manage to launch a razor-qt session wit lxdm (the culpirit could be lxdm).
    anyway, with `exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session razor-session' nothing get started. and this usually how i launch a valid session with lxde/e17/openbox. so razor-session is at loss here.
    yngwin
    Retired Dev
    Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself start it from LightDM (with the RazorQt greeter).

From what I remember LXDM is a bit irregular, you may need to edit some configuration there.
    tclover
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yngwin and other qt desktop contributors,
    i'd like to see that light desktop bring standard support for such simple thing as to be able to launch a valid session with an ~/.xinitrc. i've just tried lxdm because i have a @lxbase set with a light lxde setup (which does not include all the lxde-meta pkgs). because i'd like to keep my setup without a display manager. thanks, -tc.
    yngwin
    Retired Dev
    Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
    anyway, with `exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session razor-session' nothing get started.

We need to find out why. Because this should work.
    tclover
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
    We need to find out why. Because this should work.

Found it:
    launching a razor-session with dbus was failing because of a missing:
    grep windowmanager ~/.razor/session.conf:
    windowmanager=openbox

and that file file and directory is created in the first launch... well only a simple `exec razor-session' or surely a working display manager.
    After that, launching a session with dbus works just fine. I'd add that the wiki later if somebody else does not it before me.
    M
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also start session with
    Code:
    razor-session -w openbox
    wrc1944
    Advocate
    Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just emerged razor-qt-1.3.1, and really like it. I'm a big 10 year kde and Qt fan, but have had a few nagging issues with akonadi/kmail/nepomuk/strigi almost to the point of wanting to get rid of it. Plus, constant shutdown sluggishness problems, plus the clock recently insists on reverting back to UTC every 5-6 boots.

I'd try disabling/removing the semantic-desktop and the akonadi/kmail/nepomuk/strigi stuff, and recompiling kde ,without kmail, if I could find a decent and reliable method of importing my many years of kmail emails to thunderbird, but that's another story. Believe me, I've researched that for a long time, and tried all the scripts and methods floating around the internet.

I found out about Qupzilla, the nice little webkit browser for razor-qt, so I emerged it, and am really impressed, even to the point of moving to it from firefox. However, although it says it can import firefox bookmarks if exported to an html file with the folder structures intact, but apparently it can't, as the wizard balks saying it's not the correct database. It will slowly import all bookmarks with favicons if I point it to the places.sqlite file in my firefox-15 default profile. However, that's not really going to be usable, as it puts many hundreds of bookmarks under one "Firefox Import" folder.

Anyone know if that's a known Qupzilla issue, or have a workaround I can use to import the html firefox bookmarks file? I'd hate to spend time recreating the bookmark toolbar folder structure and then dragging each bookmark into it's proper folder.

EDIT: Solved- I was choosing the big orange "firefox" icon in the wizard's list, and stupidly overlooked the "html" file icon at the bottom. :roll: Using it impported everything perfectly using the Firefox folder structure. :D However, I can't seem to move the folders into the bookmarks toolbar. :?
    OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
    kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11

Last edited by wrc1944 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    yngwin
    Retired Dev
    Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor-Qt has decided they want to do a 0.5.0 release in a few weeks time. While they are getting ready for a release candidate, I have put a snapshot ebuild in the qt overlay. But you could just as well use the live ebuild for now.

The next step for us will be to split up the now monolithic ebuild into separate ebuilds for the various components of Razor-Qt.
    anyNiXwilldo
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
    I have added some more applications to the official portage tree recently. The latest version of nomacs (image viewer) is very usable.

Thanks man. I am using KDE on Hardened, but I like to supplement with Qt apps where possible. Given that I DETEST showfoto, which is included with Digikam, nomacs is the perfect substitute, which I am now using daily. It's like a gpicview written in Qt.

yngwin wrote:

Too late. I already ditched konsole for qterminal and I love it.

yngwin wrote:

And qlipper (clipboard history applet for the systray) is now also in the portage tree.

Alrighty then. I will ditch klipper too.

I keep icewm as a backup wm in case KDE were to ever get borked. I will most likely install razorqt as well, but mostly because you are including these extremely light and useful Qt apps. Keep up the good work man. It's greatly appreciated, even by those who are using KDE. Thanks again.
    Ant P.
    Watchman
    Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any success using compiz as the razor window manager? I'm thinking of switching to that because xcompmgr/compton keep "losing" my windows.
    wrc1944
    Advocate
    Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qupzilla is a great little browser that's very responsive, and I'd certainly use it, but it needs some work in the bookmarks dept.

I can't find any way to move my 15 bookmark imported firefox bookmark folders into the Bookmark Toolbar for easy access, or even move them up or down in the Bookmarks menu. Same problem for individual bookmarks. They can't be moved Currently, unless I'm just missing something this renders the Bookmarks Toolbar apparently useless. For me, having all my bookmark folders visible and instantly accessible with one click is a "must have" functionality.

Further, adding bookmarks with the "star" like Chromium requires five clicks (click star, click edit bookmark, click folder drop-down menu, click select desired folder, click save). Sorry, but that's ridiculous, not to mention having to mouse through a long list of bookmark folders under one main menu. :roll:

What's needed for Qupzilla by default is the same functionality as the Firefox addon "Add Bookmark Here2" provides, which puts a two-click "add bookmark here" item at the top of each Bookmark Toolbar folder (and even any sub-folder bookmarks group you might add).

This makes adding bookmarks to any folder a simple and quick two-click virtually zero mouse movement operation. For me. anything less in a browser is just too much trouble to deal with, and is the main reason I almost never use chromium. Firefox has it's problems, but this indispensable functionality sells it. If I had some Qt skills I'd try to add this myself, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to do a decent job. Where should a request be made?

EDIT: Just found this page: https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/issues/458

Apparently, bookmarks aren't that high of a priority, which seems odd to me. It's one of the essential features of a good web-browser. :o

Most comments/issues seem basically grouped together and marked "nowrep closed the issue 2 months ago."

Fore example: https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/issues/115 where it's merged into #458, which is marked closed? :?: .

Kind of disappointing. :( I'm not sure if "marked closed" means it was supposedly added/fixed, or if it means it's not going to be worked on, and is off the "TO DO" list. :? All I can say is that issue 115 still doesn't seem to work in 1.3.1. Maybe I should get the overlay and try the "live" version, or wait for the next upcoming release?
    franzf
    Advocate
    Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
    I can't find any way to move my 15 bookmark imported firefox bookmark folders into the Bookmark Toolbar for easy access, or even move them up or down in the Bookmarks menu. Same problem for individual bookmarks. They can't be moved Currently, unless I'm just missing something this renders the Bookmarks Toolbar apparently useless. For me, having all my bookmark folders visible and instantly accessible with one click is a "must have" functionality.

Bookmarks can be moved, was commited today.
    "Bookarks in Toolbar" in a submenu in the folder structure. Move your bookmarks there and you get them in the toolbar.

Quote:
    Further, adding bookmarks with the "star" like Chromium requires five clicks (click star, click edit bookmark, click folder drop-down menu, click select desired folder, click save). Sorry, but that's ridiculous, not to mention having to mouse through a long list of bookmark folders under one main menu. :roll:

That was added some days ago, so the upcoming release of 1.3.5 will have that feature :)

Quote:
    Most comments/issues seem basically grouped together and marked "nowrep closed the issue 2 months ago."

Look on it closer, especially the titles of those comments.
    nowrep referenced this issue
    So the comment comes from a bug report that referenced that specific bug. In the case of #458 (which is a meta-bug to collect bugs/fixes for a specific component, here bookmarks) he commented "merged into #458" on e.g #17. The bugtracker realised that and placed a comment on #458.
    wrc1944
    Advocate
    Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf,
    Thanks much for the info! :) I'm really looking forward to 1.3.5. Anyone know of an ETA for this release? If it's going to be more than a 2-3 weeks, I'm tempted to try the live qt-overlay version. One thing- if the overlay razor-qt live version is used can we still use the ~Arch qt version in portage, or will that require and/or pull in a live qt version?

For those interested, here's a link to the github changelog. https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/blob/master/CHANGELOG
    Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
    Page 2 of 6

Jump to: