grub2 - how to get rid of submenu entries
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cazzantonio
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: grub2 - how to get rid of submenu entries Reply with quote

Hi all. I recently started testing grub-2.00 and I would like to know how to remove those submenu entries that get pulled in by grub2-mkconfig. At least without having to manually and carefully edit files in /etc/grub.d. Those files are a bit messy for my tastes, and I would like to keep away from them.

Another nice option would be the possibility to set the title of menuentries, in order to get rid of those GNU\Linux strings that I personally detest...

As now the only way to customize grub.cfg (also to add password checks) is to manually write it from scratch, which isn't a big improvement over old grub... :)

Thanks
Cazzantonio
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now I simply commented line 239, 242, 243 and 253 to 257 in /etc/grub.d/10_linux, however I hope that developers will ad some configuration option in /etc/default/grub to do this automatically
lexming
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, ultimately I had to do the same thing. There's no way to disable the generation of those submenu entries. In my case, I want to have just one item in the grub menu to be able to boot instantaneously without any grub screen appearing in between.
Cazzantonio
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those scripts are an early release and will get reworked in the future.
/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober has a menuentry for hurd... is there any gentoo support for hurd at all?
stevia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For completeness, elegancy and to get rid of the very first entry named
Code:
menuentry 'Gentoo GNU/Linux'
which is the one showing up above the (previous) submenu entry you can comment lines 229 to 240.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: