Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udeved,

Please do post your scripts and your process. Start a new thread in Documentation Tips and Tricks.
Sharing what you have learned is the Open Source Community way.

This /usr and /var early mounting is a very contraversial change, the more options the better.
Please stay on the forums to give support to your followers (you will get some).

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
udeved
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
udeved,

Please do post your scripts and your process. Start a new thread in Documentation Tips and Tricks.
Sharing what you have learned is the Open Source Community way.

This /usr and /var early mounting is a very contraversial change, the more options the better.
Please stay on the forums to give support to your followers (you will get some).

I can do that, however, don't you think the proper place would be your thread?

I use udev 182, and basically followed the udev guide on gentoo-wiki, with the exception that my ramdisk contains the udevd and arch structure.

You decide, I'll gladly share what I found out.

The genkernel basically misses a udev "hook"/include, and I found no way of telling genkernel to include udev.
So a port of mkinitcpio seems the way to go for me, if its all not too complicated..
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udeved,

udeved wrote:
The genkernel basically misses a udev "hook"/include.

To bring that to the attention of the genkernel developers, please post a but at bugs.gentoo.org

You should start a new thread as you are offering a different solution to me. If you post your scripts in this thread, the two solutions will get mixed up and hard to follow.
If you are offering a minor change to my first post here, by all means post in this thread.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
udeved
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
udeved,

udeved wrote:
The genkernel basically misses a udev "hook"/include.

To bring that to the attention of the genkernel developers, please post a but at bugs.gentoo.org

You should start a new thread as you are offering a different solution to me. If you post your scripts in this thread, the two solutions will get mixed up and hard to follow.
If you are offering a minor change to my first post here, by all means post in this thread.

I hesitated to file a bug report, since I found out that genkernel used to have a --udev parameter.
My conclusion was, its intended, until udev >182 hits stable release?

The idea was to offer just a different solution to initrd, but yes, probably a small thread on udev182 initrd will do, with a link to your guide.

I would want to focus on initrd, but this requires a bit more testing before I start a thread.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Root on LVM has always required an inird. LVM is a userspace tool and you need it working to mount root.
Root on a real partition or autodetected raid with everything else in LVM did not used to need an initrd but will with >=udev-182 as /usr and /var are in LVM, so LVM must be started to mount /usr and /var before udev starts.

I'm not sure if steveLs patched scripts will start LVM early enough. I think they will as local-mount used to mount /usr and /var anyway, so LVM had to be running before local-mount.

Yeah exactly, they will. That's my setup: root, /tmp and /home on standard partitions, /usr, /var, /usr/portage, distfiles etc on lvm, so I can confirm it works fine on udev-171-r5 at least. The same approach should be fine on 182+ since the base requirements are met.

That's why I feel the approach is cleaner, even if it does mean a couple of (small) patches to initscripts: we're using the standard initialisation for practically everything, just we start udev late, once we know all our partitions are available. I just did the simplest thing given the spec: that udev needs to be started after partitions are mounted.

That means anything localmount depends on will be started, including lvm and mdadm (though I don't use the latter: feedback would be welcome. :)

Of course that only works if you don't need any modules or udev-created nodes to localmount (iow if you never needed an initrd/initramfs before) which is the case if you manually configure the kernel as part of your install, and root is not on lvm, raid (non-detected?), or encrypted (all which have always required an initramfs or initrd.)

afair encryption of any partition requires an initramfs but I don't know.
udeved
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*deleted post*

Moved it here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-923168.html
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the guide!

Now I'm running grub-2.00/udev-1.82-r3/openrc-0.10.4

/dev/sda1 - ext2 boot
/dev/sda2 - ext4 root
/dev/sda3 - lvm (separate usr,var on jfs)
Knute
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your guide says to make changes to some kernel options, but fails to provide any information as to where in the kernel those options are!

That's like saying meet me on main street, but fail to say what city, country etc.... Very annoying! :roll:
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knute wrote:
Your guide says to make changes to some kernel options, but fails to provide any information as to where in the kernel those options are!

That's like saying meet me on main street, but fail to say what city, country etc.... Very annoying! :roll:

All you have to do is press the / key in the menuconfig to get 'Search' window.

No guides should ever pinpoint the exact location since the location keeps changing from version to version, thus the guides that does this get outdated very fast.
Knute
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
All you have to do is press the / key in the menuconfig to get 'Search' window.

No guides should ever pinpoint the exact location since the location keeps changing from version to version, thus the guides that does this get outdated very fast.

When I did the search, it showed no matches, so I had no clue as to what option you were trying to set. (And you didn't even give what it's listed as in the .config file either!)

As far as pinpointing the exact location, your comment points to an attitude that I have had the misfortune of running across before. You try to make it sound harder than it is so that you can retain some mystical guru status. (It was in a windows hacking group, where they gave a big long complicated explaination about how to get around the login screen in windows 95, where all you have to do is press Esc.)

By the way, those options are in Device Drivers. (Really hard to just pony up the information, right?) 8O
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapolic wrote:
Thank you for the guide!

Now I'm running grub-2.00/udev-1.82-r3/openrc-0.10.4

/dev/sda1 - ext2 boot
/dev/sda2 - ext4 root
/dev/sda3 - lvm (separate usr,var on jfs)

Well, not using Grub Legacy anymore me neither.
So what are the equivalent lines to these in the guide:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
grub.conf:
#3.3.1-gentoo
title=Kernel 3.3.1-gentoo (hd0)
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/3.3.1-gentoo root=UUID=ff5730d5-c28d-4276-b300-5b0b0fc60300 vga=0x317 video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap
initrd /boot/initrd.cpio.gz

title=Kernel 3.3.1-gentoo (hd1)
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/3.3.1-gentoo root=/dev/md126
initrd /boot/initrd.cpio.gz

If I do manage to translate into working grub2 lines before someone else, I'll post them here myself.
EDIT: Oh, I remembered (ran grub2-mkconfig several times already...). Grub2 is generally not configured manually, but with that command.
It must be something like
Code:
grub2-mkconfig some-option-pointing-at-initrd.cpio.gz-here -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

So the question is only which option? end of EDIT
EDIT2 No such option. I'll try with
Code:
# ln initrd.cpio.gz initrd.img-$version

as /etc/grub.d/10_linux shows it'll be accepted for the kernel named
vmlinuz-$version
end of EDIT2
Since we're talking...
NeddySeaGoon, I hope I'll thank you too, but I first haveto make it, and I'm still only getting my hands dirty only. Pls, if you're around, does the line in your guide:
Code:
# TODO could auto cope with degraded raid operation

mean degraded raid - won't boot?
I am moving to LVM2/plain raid (some partitions lvm2 on raid, some plain raid, root is plain like in your configuration).
They are all on degraded raid5 of 3 devices (3x1TB drives, degraded, so I can add the third once I `rsync -aHAXz /plain-system /lvm2-raid-system` over from plain to raid partitions), being the third obviously in use, i.e. holding the current Gentoo filesystem on plain partition.
So that mean degraded raid - won't boot? I hope not, but just in case...

Last edited by miroR on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:26 am; edited 2 times in total
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case someone else run into the following problem.
My initramfs is /usr/src/initramfs/, and there in is the initramfs_list.
From /usr/src/linux/scripts I issue:
Code:

# ./gen_initramfs_list.sh -o /boot/initrd.cpio.gz /usr/src/initramfs/initramfs_list
./gen_initramfs_list.sh: line 298: usr/gen_init_cpio: No such file or directory
#

The command, indeed, failed.
Still from /usr/src/linux/scripts, I added the symlink:
Code:
# ln -s ../usr/ usr

and the line now worked. I got a nearly 5M /boot/initrd.cpio.gz made for me...
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@miroR

I followed the instructions at: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
You may also check out: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-928972.html

Happy grubbing :)
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapolic wrote:
@miroR

I followed the instructions at: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
You may also check out: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-928972.html

Happy grubbing :)

Thanx!
I was a frequent, still am occasional, visitor at wiki.gentoo.org and en.gentoo-wiki.com Gurb2 guides, and I did remember and am regularly past grub loading stage fine now.
I load initrd, it starts, mounts proc, dev and sys and throws me out into rescue shell.
But I got stuck with just in the grub cfg code
Code:
insmod mdraid09

necessary for my boot raid1 /dev/md0 device (identified by its uuid, as blkid tells me) and not this onw at all::
Code:
insmod mdraid1x

so all the other raid5 devices, and on one of them is a vg and lv volumes, they none of them mount at all.
But how and why exactly the other mdraid1x does not load at all is a mistery to me.
At first I thougt it had to do something with, while I followed, too blindly, the requirement for the installation of mkinitcpio, which required these two options to be activated in the kernel:
Code:
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR
CONFIG_DM_UEVENT

to be set so mkinitcpio could install. That requirement, while no need for them in my system, of a program, I'm not happy with.
But I set them, and still had to overcome another hurdle to install mkinitcpio, as can be seen in my bug report:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=435642
That was in my first hours of studying this guide (it's not just reading, when it's over and over, isn't it studying then?)...
Later, I realized that I would very much like this clean and hard approach that Neddy, who is still not anywhere around for us, yet, gave us, to work for me, even though I might have to revert to the well documented Gentoo ported mkinitcpio package, if I don't make it with this NeddySeaGoon'guide.
But what should I do to get the necessary module
Code:
insmod mdraid1x
inserted.
OTOH, it's not a module in the kernel. Because:
Code:
# zgrep MDRAID /proc/config.gz
#

no output at all, and:
Code:
# zgrep RAID /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS is not set
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=y
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=y
CONFIG_MD_RAID10=y
CONFIG_MD_RAID456=y
# CONFIG_MULTICORE_RAID456 is not set
# CONFIG_DM_RAID is not set
# CONFIG_ASYNC_RAID6_TEST is not set
CONFIG_ASYNC_RAID6_RECOV=y
CONFIG_RAID6_PQ=y
#

as can be seen, I followed I think Neddy's idea, and installed some of those which were modules before, into the kernel...
So, anyone can tell me how to move on from this hurdle, thanx in advance!
I used to have old "-e 0.90" created raid styles along with raid_autodetect (CONFIG_MD_AUTODETECT, not *not* set of course) up until the current upgrade, which is in uncussesful many tries so far, in which I only create the booting /boot containing raid with that option, and all others with the default 1.2 version in mdadm.
So I'll try and perform the system shutdown to make it forget if it has those in the cache somewhere that prevent new mraid1x from kicking in.
Otherwise, no more ideas at this time.
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you set the raid drivers as modules?
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapolic wrote:
Why did you set the raid drivers as modules?

No, I didn't. I set them in the kernl ("y" there, not "m").
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am inching ever closer to solving this.
Some of my previous assumptions are wrong/probably wrong. Sorry. Hours upon hours of slow progress here.
Here go my newest tries.
I'm in my friend's François Dupoux's sysresccd, because for some reason, even though the new lvm2 on standard raid5 setup (except for /boot on version 0.90 mdadm made raid1), all rsync'd over from single /dev/sda installation...
Because even though the new plain /boot-on-raid1 and lvm2-on-raid5 setup is completely independently made (raid devices are degraded, the one missing partition in the raid1/raid5 is the old /dev/sdaX which will be added upon successful reinstallation on the new setup...
Because independent even though new setup is, I can't use mdadm nor mount devices when I chroot into it from the old setup and don't know how I could do so.
From sysresccd I can do all of these.
/dev/md0 is the raid1 made of /dev/sdb2 and /dev/sdc2 (on both the GPT-EFI partition is sd[bc]1, has to be)
/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc are sure partitioned in the exact same way, but with Roderick Smith's great gdisk tool, http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/ (that is a man whom we all owe for this tool! I would donate, but am poor. The aforementioned François Dupoux is also great, except he banned me from sysresccd.org for stupid reasons, he is quirky, seems. Never mind my old man's ramblings. Just easy-going. Don't ban me from here, pls!)...
I can just fine mount /dev/md0 through it's uuid which I stuck in /etc/fstab, meaning it is correct. So are the other partitions's uuid's.
Also, grub2 recognizes and starts booting from my plain raid1 /dev/md0. But. But!!
Here is what gets in real, unedited consecutive tries I performed:
Code:
sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt mdraid mdraid09 mdraid1x ext2 fs_uuid lvm" /dev/md0
/usr/bin/grub2-mkimage: error: cannot stat `/usr/lib64/grub/i386-pc/mdraid.mod': No such file or directory.

sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt mdraid mdraid09 mdraid1x ext2 fs_uuid lvm" /dev/sda
/usr/bin/grub2-mkimage: error: cannot stat `/usr/lib64/grub/i386-pc/mdraid.mod': No such file or directory.

sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt mdraid09 mdraid1x ext2 fs_uuid lvm" /dev/md0
/usr/bin/grub2-mkimage: error: cannot stat `/usr/lib64/grub/i386-pc/fs_uuid.mod': No such file or directory.

sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt mdraid09 mdraid1x ext2 lvm" /dev/md0
/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt mdraid09 mdraid1x lvm" /dev/md0
/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..

sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt ext2 mdraid09 mdraid1x lvm" /dev/md0

sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt ext2 mdraid09 mdraid1x lvm" /dev/md0
sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt ext2 mdraid09 mdraid1x lvm" /dev/sda
Installation finished. No error reported.

sysresccd / # grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot/  --modules="part_gpt ext2 mdraid09 mdraid1x lvm" /dev/sdb
sysresccd / #

Not exactly what I wanted, but it wouldn't install in /dev/md0... Or should I try force, by adding the "-f" option iirc?
Because,this below:
Code:
sysresccd / # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Generating grub.cfg ...
/usr/sbin/grub2-probe: warning: Couldn't find physical volume `(null)'. Some modules may be missing from core image..
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.4-hardened-120921_0700
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.4-hardened-120921_0700
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.4-hardened-120920_0200
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.4-hardened-120919_1700
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.3-hardened-r3-120917_2100
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.3-hardened-r3-120914_1500
/usr/sbin/grub2-probe: warning: Couldn't find physical volume `(null)'. Some modules may be missing from core image..
done
sysresccd / #

doesn't let me inch not even half an inch on from the current impass.
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped the raid1 /dev/md0, zero-superblock the /dev/sdb2 and /dev/sdc2.
The same raid1 uuid still remains reported by blkid, even after removing blkid cache:
Code:
# blkid -c /dev/null | egrep 'db2|sdc2'
/dev/sdb2: UUID="e7f482cb-ca79-497d-85db-43041277ca2e" TYPE="ext2" PARTLABEL="Linux filesystem" PARTUUID="cf771640-1e0f-4ddf-a0cd-10a191d86f75"
/dev/sdc2: UUID="b42ecfc7-4b56-4e41-9d85-6a7215ebb8c1" TYPE="ext2" PARTLABEL="Linux filesystem" PARTUUID="cf771640-1e0f-4ddf-a0cd-10a191d86f75"
#

So now I still can't install drivers because even though:
Code:
# grub2-install  --boot-directory=/boot --modules="part_gpt mdraid09 mdraid1x ext2 lvm"  /dev/sdb
 # grub2-install  --boot-directory=/boot --modules="part_gpt mdraid09 mdraid1x ext2 lvm"  /dev/sdc
 #

still:
Code:

# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.4-hardened-120921_0700
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.4-hardened-120921_0700
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.4-hardened-120920_0200
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.4-hardened-120919_1700
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.3-hardened-r3-120917_2100
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.3-hardened-r3-120914_1500
done
#

I am also trying to post this issue (broached long ago there)
EDIT exactly here: http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=129790712716243&w=2 end of EDIT
on linux-raid mailing list.
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There, asking for help now on Linux-raid as well:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=134825983112176&w=2
EIDIT: That particular hurdle solved:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=134831845825240&w=2
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After about a week of downtime, troubling experience having lasted for longer period yet, but the downtime for about a week, which first time so long downtime since I've been using Gentoo, I made what I best described in this thread.
See above:
miroR wrote:
I am moving to LVM2/plain raid (some partitions lvm2 on raid, some plain raid, root is plain like in your configuration).

and around there.
1670.00 GiB raid5 of three 835.00 GiB devices, containing lv volumes (no /root, no /usr, no /var among those, just data volumes, and swap and /build) is syncing last, and it'll take its time.
But I didn't make it with this approach, and it can be seen where and what wouldn't pass (in the previous posts in this thread).
And neither, yet, with mkinitcpio:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-923168.html#7145030
(but there at least I got developer udeved to find the bug that someone reckless or lazy or malicious (how can I tell?) seem to have introduced in the ebuild, and am really looking forward to using that program, but it is not yet well adapted for Gentoo, iiuc)
During that time I was miserably hit by unstable udev (which is such for, my guess can still be read why in the linked thread just below, but I got called to order for my big mouth and digressions out of place in many people's opinion, but you judge for yourself, gentle reader:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-100.html#7142000
I finally got my system to boot (it's a real nightmare, not being able to boot for about a week!) with neither this guide where you're reading my conclusion (which seems to me similar or same as https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting, nor with the lean and mean, but not fully Gentoo-ready mkinitcpio, for the reasons mentioned above (link to thread given too)...
I got my first in my lifetime initramfs of my own making, simply, without some of the udev newfangled stuff and things, as prescribed here:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Root_filesystem_over_LVM2,_DM-Crypt_and_RAID#Initram
except for the cryptsetup part (encryption need much more profound understanding than I currently have; I don't want to be one of those poor souls who lost their data; I could anyways become one, even with what I'm playing with, but much more likely so if I go and play the tricky dm-crypt luks and associates...).
I will only need, but it's really not urgent, to get the lvm to also start at boot, because it current doesn't. I start it manually.
Everything else is basically just normally functioning again.
Only I am not, yet, normally functioning, because of too much stress, but I'm slowly recovering...
My thanks do go to people who develop Gentoo.
Along with my thanks goes the recommendation to get the evil one out: the secret services' SELinux, which I wrote about quite a lot on this Forum ( https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-905472.html#7125428 ), making fair use, fair use, dear friends, of what democracy is left in the Declining SuperPower (where the headquarters of Gentoo are, and a fine backdoor there is for the NSA's SELinux, as most anywhere... maybe only not on gnu.org, actually, as it happens), that plays tricks, the US's NSA, on us in this particular issue, which tricks the better among you, dear Americans, whose history and achievements I admire, should not let happen. GNU Linux is sacred, don't let it be broken in by backdoors and surveillance! Gentoo won't remain our pride any longer! It'll become like RedHat or SuSE! which go the Widoze ways of Billy the Gangster and his Gang... which is thriving their greed and deceit on the world stupidity, ignorance and laziness.
That's it.
God bless you!
Or, iow, may the Good of the Life be with you!
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia
EDIT: I lost, as usual, a better worded variant, and had to redo what I remembered, of the lost corrections. Sorry!
nerdboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: udev-182 HOWTO Reply with quote

Not being entirely happy with the approaches I've tried so far:

1) genkernel initramfs with the appropriate options for lvm and mdadm

2) mkinitcpio (which didn't really work at all, even after patching for the latest udev)

3) This very nice guide from Neddy, which left me with odd problems like no /dev/pts mount, etc

so I stole Neddy's fsck idea and applied it to genkernel as a klugey hack (or would that be hacky kluge?) enabled by USE=premount. It currently supports ext2/3/4 and jfs checks of /usr before it gets mounted (and should be easy to extend by modifying a couple of file listings in $FILESDIR).

In case anyone wants to try it out, I'm about to push it to my (portage) overlay on github; it works for me on several machines with lvm and lvm on kernel raid.

https://github.com/sarnold/portage-overlay

Edit: I still do my kernels manually, but now i use genkernel to generate the initramfs. The only thing left seems to be deactivating /usr when on lvm. Not sure how to hack that one yet...
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: udev-182 HOWTO Reply with quote

nerdboy wrote:
The only thing left seems to be deactivating /usr when on lvm. Not sure how to hack that one yet...

Have a look here for some ideas.

Also, anyone who needs to explore openrc deptree can use this.

update - "a most excellent portage wrapper"

#friendly-coders -- We're still here for you™ ;)
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Neddy!

I'm back, after several month of your script working just fine. It still does, but now I have a question about a different box (my laptop, finally back from the shop).

That box has the following partition scheme on each of two drives:

/dev/sdX1: boot partition, starting on sector 2048 (because grub2 says it needs it?)
/dev/sdX2: swap space
/dev/sdX3: extended partition
/dev/sdX5: logical partition

The root partition is a logical volume on /dev/md5, which is the raid-0 array on /dev/md5.

Your guide says you wimped out putting root on lvm for the example, but I am apparently HARDCORE, and am doing that. So, how do I modify your init script to deal with root being on lvm?

Cheers, thanks again for all your help.

EE
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neddy!

So, I went and wimped out myself, and re-did the partitions to match the gentoo guide. Now, though, I have a problem with grub2.

Specifically, it isn't properly finding the kernel files on /boot. It says something like "error: file /boot/kernel-3.8.1-gentoo not found. You need to load the kernel first."

What am I doing wrong with grub that this is the case? The file is indeed on the partition named /boot: grub's own shell can find it. Any guesses?

Cheers,

EE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: