Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wow its been awhile, what have I missed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glitch666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Wow its been awhile, what have I missed? Reply with quote

I used gentoo years before, back around stage1 installs being common. But I have since dropped away from the gentoo scene as I have had to deal with work alot more and switched to windows just for ease of use. Well im back and decided I have missed gentoo these past couple years. I know gentoo had made the switch to baselayout2 and openRC, are these included in the stage 3 files yet our are the still baselayout1? I have been skimming over the handbook and noticed some changes and it seems to me that it still needs updated, is this still the case? Also whats with this funtoo I have been hearing about?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! Yes, baselayout-2 and openrc are now the default in gentoo and are included in the stage-3 downloads. It has a lot of advantages over baselayout-1, so you should definitely use it unless you have a reason not to.

I just performed an install on a new laptop recently and I too noticed some minor discrepancies in the handbook, but nothing major. I wish I noted these so I could report them on bugzilla... oh well.

Funtoo is an alternative Gentoo-based distro started by Daniel Robbins, the guy who created Gentoo. I've never personally used it, but I think they use an alternative portage tree, etc.
glitch666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome, my next day off from works is going to be a dedicated gentoo day, unless my gf pulls me away...... =]
Is there anything else i might need to know to help me along?
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's no raging breakage going on right now. Let's see. In addition to what mikegpitt mentioned, since the Stage1 install method was deprecated,
  • devfs is gone, replaced by udev.
  • hal has come and gone.
  • X now has hardware detection, courtesy of udev and consolekit and, in the base case, will run without an xorg.conf.
  • Most of the gnashing of teeth over the retiring of KDE3 is over and the maturation of KDE4 is mostly over too.
  • The gnashing of teeth over Gnome3 is just getting up a full head of steam.
  • If you're a KDE guy, note that the KDE ebuilds are now modular. Many people install kdebase-meta and then the few packages they want beyond that for a somewhat lighter heavyweight DE.
  • Portage is more refined than ever. It can solve more blockages on its own now and generally gives at least some helpful advice when it can't.
  • There are even competing package managers now (see paludis) and the competition has, in the long run, I believe, been beneficial.
  • Every once in a while, someone pops out of the woodwork bemoaning the demise of the Stage1 install method. Don't be that guy. :wink: You achieve exactly the same end result by running
    Code:
    emerge -e system
    at the end of the Handbook install.
  • And, oh, yes. Gentoo is dying. See why Gentoo sucks, and why it will ultimately die, about to enter its 6th glorious year as an active thread. :P
Welcome back! We knew you would be. :wink:

- John
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
devfs is gone, replaced by udev.

... only to return as devtmpfs, as udev moved on to better things like checking your email, and enjoying your music collection :)

John R. Graham wrote:
And, oh, yes. Gentoo is dying. See why Gentoo sucks, and why it will ultimately die, about to enter its 6th glorious year as an active thread.

Too funny ... don't let the necromancy fool you, it really is dead ... and anyone who dosn't see it has to be genzombie!

best ... khay
glitch666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
John R. Graham wrote:

... only to return as devtmpfs, as udev moved on to better things like checking your email, and enjoying your music collection :)

John R. Graham wrote:
And, oh, yes. Gentoo is dying. See why Gentoo sucks, and why it will ultimately die, about to enter its 6th glorious year as an active thread.

Too funny ... don't let the necromancy fool you, it really is dead ... and anyone who dosn't see it has to be genzombie!

best ... khay

Well it must not be to dead as im still getting replies lol. If its dieing, ill ride it out till everything stops working, then clone the drive and drop it in a time capsule for some future man to find. =] Thanks for the quick info guys. Im still seeing packages being added and updated, so she must have some life left right?

Ohh and I promise im not a stage 1 preacher lol, nothing wrong with a good stage 3 either(unlike some people who don't understand that).
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glitch666 wrote:
I'm still seeing packages being added and updated, so she must have some life left right?

Sorry, no-one here but us zombies ... hehe

best ... khay
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glitch666,

Welocme back ... we knew you would come, we just didn't know when.

Gentoo will be fine as long as there are new posts about how its dying. That just shows how alive it is.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's now an official Gentoo wiki.
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing the same. I ran Gentoo in the early days, for 5 years. (Does anyone remember Jackass?) I switched to Debian in early 2009, but not because of Gentoo. It was a KDE thing. Gentoo was THE distro to get the perfect KDE, until 4.0 hit. (Does anyone remember DO_NOT_COMPILE prior to modular KDE?) Having lived through the change from Gnome 1.x to 2.x and skipping all of Gnome 2.x and having lived through the change from KDE 1.x to 2.x and having skipped all of KDE 2.x, I knew damn well what KDE 4.x meant.

However, KDE 4.8.3 has arrived and it is SLICK on Gentoo, just as the 3.x series was. So like herpes, I am back. Only this time, my interests are more slanted towards Hardened, but for the desktop.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
[*]Portage is more refined than ever. It can solve more blockages on its own now and generally gives at least some helpful advice when it can't

And portage-2.2 (still [STILL!] in alpha testing, though I've been using it approx weekly for 3 years on two different boxes and never had a problem) won't break your system by deleting old library versions if you have packages still using them, so you don't need to run revdep-rebuild. Instead you can, at a convenient moment, run emerge @preserved-rebuild.
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
John R. Graham wrote:
[*]Portage is more refined than ever. It can solve more blockages on its own now and generally gives at least some helpful advice when it can't

And portage-2.2 (still [STILL!] in alpha testing, though I've been using it approx weekly for 3 years on two different boxes and never had a problem) won't break your system by deleting old library versions if you have packages still using them, so you don't need to run revdep-rebuild. Instead you can, at a convenient moment, run emerge @preserved-rebuild.

1. if you misspell a package name, it makes suggestions
2. --jobs and the compile output is hidden :cry: jobs
3. hmm hmm
filanwizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
John R. Graham wrote:

John R. Graham wrote:

best ... khay

since this is Linux... would a Genzombie be an undead penguin? or since its also Gentoo are we talking zombie cows here Moo err Brains....
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a zombie cow... so its like a normal cow that eats brainz? cause they are mostly braindead to begin with...
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... anyone who doesn't know what a genzombie is, is obviously genzombie (such is the catch22 that normally occurs in "its dead!" threads). Anyhow, your attempt at passing the Turing Test has failed ... zombies! :)

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: