POL unstable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pelinio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: POL unstable? Reply with quote

Hi, i have a question: Why playonlinux and wine(1.4,1.5.6...) is unstable? I mean what are the errors and its unstable cause in other distros it's stable and i use it fine. Will it have bugs errors which i haven't experienced in other distros or anything else???
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, Gentoo "unstable" means one or more of the following:

1) Nobody's asked for the package to be marked stable.
2) There are regressions with the package compared to a previous stable version that you may or may not care about (try searching https://bugs.gentoo.org).
3) The package depends on other "unstable" package(s).
4) The package and/or package version hasn't been in the tree long enough to be considered stable (AFAIK, this is 30 days minimum).
5) Not enough people have reported the new package as working well (closely related to #1).
6) The developer(s) ran out of time.

What "unstable" does NOT mean:

1) The developer(s) intentionally added extra bugs that you won't find in the same package version in other distros.
2) You should refrain from unmasking the newer version if you specifically want it.

Due to the fact that Gentoo is more flexible than most other distros (and can easily make available an arbitrary number of versions of software through Portage) means that stable really means stable and unstable means "this works for me, but needs more testing before we can mark it stable", whereas in most other distros you get everything lumped into "stable" (with wildly differing definitions of stable) because it's either that or not package the software at all.

The good news is that unmasking the package is as easy as
Code:
echo app-emulation/playonlinux >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
and you're off to the races.
pelinio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you it works perfectly. 8)
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mind that devs may also not request stabilization on purpose even if there are no bugs open simply because they consider the software immature, fragile or just not appropriate to go into stable arch

examples are: net-p2p/freenet or www-client/torbrowser which are designed in a way that you always should install the latest version

I don't exactly know if the wine herd has a special policy for stabilization, but I don't really consider ANY wine version stable. That simply depends on which apps you are trying to run. So...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: