View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: User switching in xfce Reply with quote

I've used xfce for a number of years now. Recently, my girlfriend's laptop has started overheating, and she has decided she hates it. So I often find her sitting at my desktop facebooking or god knows what else.

I thought it would be easy to simply have her switch to her own profile, so I created one for her, but didn't notice any user switching feature in xfce with the packages I had emerged. I did some googling and discovered that there was a plugin for this called xfswitch.

I emerged this plugin and added the object to the panel. However, after initiating a user switch, I get a notification that GDM isn't running and is required for this plugin to work.

Is there anyone out there that has gotten this feature working without GDM? I'm fairly fond of slim, and don't really want GDM and its dependencies unless absolutely necessary. Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by gr0x0rd on Sun May 06, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
lexming
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use this option myself (just one user in mi laptop :D) but in the new XFCE 4.10 the actions-plugin (a panel's default plugin to shut down/restart/logout) has now the option "Switch User" (screenshot at http://www.xfce.org/about/tour). Maybe an update is worth trying. I had no problems at all going from 4.8 to 4.10.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfswitch-plugin is requiring this program called "gdmflexiserver" which is provided originally only by gnome-base/gdm, but now also by x11-misc/lightdm,
since https://bugs.gentoo.org/411921 we have had support for the lightdm in =xfce-extra/xfswitch-plugin-0.0.1-r1, so you might want to give it a try
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr0x0rd,

Have you tried the 'Logout' function? On my ~amd64 box (xfce(4.10)/slim without GDM) 'Logout' returns me to Slim's login screen. In my case I change to a user with no .asoundrc file which simplifies Jack setup.

Like lexming I too have a 'switch user' option though it is ghosted out.

shrike
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys!

lexming, last time I tried riding ahead of the portage defaults, I created a nice little mess for myself, so I thought I'd try ssuominen's way first :)

shrike, we've been using logout previously- but implementing the user switching means I won't lose my open programs, etc while she uses the gentoo box.

ssuominen, excellent advice as usual- thanks. I'm now switching users easily using lightdm. However I still have one problem- when the screensaver kicks in or the screen is locked, I still have to enter in my password to unlock the screen before I can switch users.

I've emerged xscreensaver with the new-login USE flag, so I have an option for that, but when I select it, I get the old familiar "GDM is not running" message. Some googling shows other circumvented this by using the gnome screensaver instead of xscreensaver... is there a way to tinker with xscreensaver so the "New Login" button kicks to the lightdm logon screen?

The xscreensaver documentation I've looked at says "If gdmflexiserver is installed on your system, there should be a "New Login" button on xscreensaver's unlock dialog. If that doesn't appear or doesn't work right, check the setting of the "newLoginCommand" preference in the XScreenSaver.ad app-defaults file." But, I can't seem to find this file in Gentoo.

Cheers!
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on this.

Other searches have recommended editing a file
Code:
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver
but this doesn't exist, my X11 folder has two subdirs, config and xsm, and neither have anything related to xscreensaver.

This config file must exist somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found it...
Code:
/usr/share/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver
...along with the current *newLoginCommand directive, which is currently gdmflexiserver -ls.

So here's a question for ssuominen: what parameters do I need to pass to /usr/lib64/xfce4/panel-plugins/xfswitch-plugin to make it work? Just running the binary results in a critical error. I'll keep trying to find some documentation on this.
lkraav
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed xfswitch-plugin-0.0.1-r1 with lightdm, but the Switch User menu option is greyed out. What to look out for here?
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation right now. Although switching from a locked screen works (xscreensaver built with "new-login" USE flag).

Will try to look into the xfswitch-plugin tomorrow.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also using Xfce with Slim. Is there a way to enable user switching? It would be useful to switch the user from inside the WM, but also some parallel CTRL+ALT+F7 and F8 like other distributions have pre-configured would be useful, to be able to use the desktop with 2 users in parallel without logging out the session.

Is it required to change the login manager Slim in order to get that working?

It would be also nice that the lock screen of the screensaver offers such a user switch. Probably this is not possible with xscreensaver?
lkraav
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long switched to gdm. Life is easier.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: