Indie Humble Bundle V Warning Not all Linux Games are Native
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lil_liminal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Indie Humble Bundle V Warning Not all Linux Games are Native Reply with quote

Just a warning to any potential buyers: The Indie Humble Bundle V advertises that all games run in Linux, but in reality
Limbo comes with Wine and is just the windows version with an sh script to execute it in Wine.
In other words the humble bundle does not contain a linux native version of Limbo.
I might add that while Wine works just fine on my computer the Limbo sh script
is unable to execute it.
I am downloading Bastion right now and will let you know if it's in fact linux native
or merely the windows release with a packaged emulator.
If you buy the bundles to support linux native games, I'd advise passing on Bundle V.
Bastion is native and great. Limbo is not. Amnesia is I believe in fact native
builds of it exist on Desura already. Anyone know if Psychonauts is native?
Get the feeling it's going to be a wine job.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amnesia has always been Linux native. Frictional Games supports Linux with all of their releases and their games can be purchased for Linux from their own store. Psychonauts has never been released for Linux before but the Mac release was originally made using cider (Transgaming's Mac wrapper which is essentially cedega.) While it works very well and is pretty much invisible to the user it is not native. I would not be surprised if the Mac version contained in the bundle is the cider version and, if that is the case, I would further suspect that the Linux version runs through Wine. I can't say that for certain or speak to what Humble Bundle V contains because I have not purchased it yet. I just hope very strongly that this is not the direction they go in with Double Fine Adventure.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Linux version of Psychonauts is a real port (done by icculus).
PhaytalError
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The Linux version of Psychonauts is a real port (done by icculus).

THAT is awsome to hear and know. :D
lil_liminal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original mail to them:

Hi,

I just got home and was really genuinely excited to play Limbo in linux seeing as how
I do 90% of my development in linux and essentially don't use windows.
I was quite surprised to find that Limbo isn't a linux binary, but rather is simply
the windows binary with wine built in. I have downloaded numerous games from the humble
store for linux, and have had success with all. Braid, Trine, Trine 2, Voxatron, and others have always
run fine. However Limbo simply crashes (I might add that Botanicula seems to ask for Wine too).
I hate to see say this, but Limbo running in Wine on a linux machine isn't Linux native and is false advertising
on the part of the bundle. Please in the future do not advertise a game as running in Linux if it needs an emulator.
I really hope that the copy of Bastion of I am downloading is actually linux native and not an emu because
I would have rather played it in Chrome then. None of the humble bundle games that require Wine work
on my gentoo system and additionally while the linux native games run w/o a hitch my system has sound
problems with Wine. I would really appreciate getting some notification in the future. I will be posting a warning to
the Gentoo forums about the Wine dependencies.

Their reply:

Josh
JUN 01, 2012 | 10:30AM PDT
Hey there,

LIMBO was professionally “wrapped” by Codeweaver, whose software is based on WINE. So technically it’s running on WINE, but not in the sense as it originally sounds, at least. I do apologize that this doesn’t help your situation, though. :(

If you find you’re dissatisfied, I would understand, and if you would like a refund processed, I can help you out.

Thanks for your support,

Josh
Support Ninja
Humble Bundle

the implication is that Humble Bundle will not be warning us in the future when a game runs in Wine because the emu is a pro job.
RE: Psychonauts THAT IS AWESOME! It's a shame I just got the bundle refunded.

BTW the Bastion port installs to /usr/local/games and runs great.
really happy with it.
PhaytalError
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i'm 100% supportive of native linux releases of games, I don't mind if it's "wrapped" in Wine as long as it works 100% in Linux.

As an alternative I feel more "windows only" developers should do the whole Wine wrapper thing if they aren't willing to make Linux ports of specific games, it would be a great start to bring commercial gaming to Linux and to prove that Linux IS a great platform for gaming.

Also, I feel that once Valve has Steam and the Source Engine ported to Linux, it'll open the flood gates for Linux gaming. :D
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased Psychonauts and Amnesia in the past. Both are fantastic games. Finding out that this is a real Linux port of Psychonauts is enough in itself to make me want to buy it again. That is awesome news. I have purchased all the numbered bundles and one or two others in the past. At this point I would be a lot quicker to buy if they were including Desura keys.
WorBlux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Indie Humble Bundle V Warning Not all Linux Games are Na Reply with quote

lil_liminal wrote:
Just a warning to any potential buyers: The Indie Humble Bundle V advertises that all games run in Linux, but in reality
Limbo comes with Wine and is just the windows version with an sh script to execute it in Wine.
In other words the humble bundle does not contain a linux native version of Limbo.
I might add that while Wine works just fine on my computer the Limbo sh script
is unable to execute it.
I am downloading Bastion right now and will let you know if it's in fact linux native
or merely the windows release with a packaged emulator.
If you buy the bundles to support linux native games, I'd advise passing on Bundle V.
Bastion is native and great. Limbo is not. Amnesia is I believe in fact native
builds of it exist on Desura already. Anyone know if Psychonauts is native?
Get the feeling it's going to be a wine job.

Bastion is a mono based games, real obvious when it crashes, taling about microsoft.xna.whatnot.

As for Limbo being wrapped in a version of WINE, it's certainly less than ideal, but as long as it is supported it's not the end of the world.
Tenobok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to note:

Psychonauts has apparently no gamepad support right now. But according to Icculus this will be addressed in the next build.

I have a strange problem with Bastion. My XBox 360 gamepad is not recognized by the game. The gamepad works with ZSNES though. I also get output from /dev/input/js0 when pressing buttons.

When I start Bastion in a terminal I can see the following output:

Code:

Number of joysticks: 1
Number of buttons for joystick: 0 - 11
Number of axes for joystick: 0 - 8
Number of PovHats for joystick: 0 - 0

But when I go to the in-game settings I get the message "No gamepad detected".

Funny thing is I can advance from the title screen to the main menu by pressing a button on the gamepad, but it doesn't work in the game. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?
popsUlfr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenobok wrote:
Another thing to note:

Psychonauts has apparently no gamepad support right now. But according to Icculus this will be addressed in the next build.

I have a strange problem with Bastion. My XBox 360 gamepad is not recognized by the game. The gamepad works with ZSNES though. I also get output from /dev/input/js0 when pressing buttons.

When I start Bastion in a terminal I can see the following output:

Code:

Number of joysticks: 1
Number of buttons for joystick: 0 - 11
Number of axes for joystick: 0 - 8
Number of PovHats for joystick: 0 - 0

But when I go to the in-game settings I get the message "No gamepad detected".

Funny thing is I can advance from the title screen to the main menu by pressing a button on the gamepad, but it doesn't work in the game. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Ryan Gordon posted a link to a new test build, it fixed several issues like crashes, FSAA and added joystick support: https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5528#c6
I couldn't verify the gamepad support since I don't have one.
Tenobok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popsUlfr wrote:

Ryan Gordon posted a link to a new test build, it fixed several issues like crashes, FSAA and added joystick support: https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5528#c6
I couldn't verify the gamepad support since I don't have one.

Thanks for the link to the patch. I will try it later.

I also wrote to the Supergiant Games guys about my Bastion problem, but no answer yet.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I held off getting this until I could confirm Psychonauts was actaully linux-native (the only game in the bundle I was interested in, aside from Bastion)
its a shame that some people/companies consider WINE/Crossweaver enough to say it is native and I hope future games, be it humble or others won't be concidering this as the way forward.
OSX users are happy with this but I myself am not. While WINE "works" it does have its own issues compounded by the fact the binaries are not native - my ~/ being cluttered by game saving folders is non-ideal... a few wine bumps and suddenly wine and programs need to be re-installed...
PhaytalError
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
I held off getting this until I could confirm Psychonauts was actaully linux-native (the only game in the bundle I was interested in, aside from Bastion)
its a shame that some people/companies consider WINE/Crossweaver enough to say it is native and I hope future games, be it humble or others won't be concidering this as the way forward.
OSX users are happy with this but I myself am not. While WINE "works" it does have its own issues compounded by the fact the binaries are not native - my ~/ being cluttered by game saving folders is non-ideal... a few wine bumps and suddenly wine and programs need to be re-installed...

Psychonauts is 100% Linux native, it doesnt use Wine at all, its an actual Linux port. :)
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a lot of bugs but they are being fixed. Make sure to follow the icculus bugzilla.
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Psychonauts is native, it's buggy as hell. I've given up playing it into a new build is posted.
PhaytalError
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doogman wrote:
While Psychonauts is native, it's buggy as hell. I've given up playing it into a new build is posted.

A new build has been posted already it's labled currently as "testing" but it's much more stable now.
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limbo has to be one of the shittiest Humble Bundle Linux releases ever. And the README for the Linux version pretty much says that Playdead has washed their hands of this version: "If you're having troubles with this Linux version of LIMBO, please try to search the Internet for a solution."

Worst. Release. EVER.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty sad that the best bundle ever contains one of the worst Linux releases ever. I will overlook the transgression for the simple fact that a Linux-native port of Psychonauts is included even if it is really a work in progress.
Tenobok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the twitter feed of @humblesupport today a version of Bastion with gamepad support was uploaded.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: