Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part IV
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adversity,

I forgot to thank you for the praise. I am always happy when someone gets a benefit out of the seeds, even if it is just a time savings. Anything I can do to help the cause of Linux and open software is time well spent.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel-dot-org just made some more source. That means more seeds. I've just uploaded .configs for 3.2.17 and 3.3.6 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be outdone, the hardened sources folks put out some new source. That means I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r104, 3.2.17-hardened, and 3.3.6-hardened in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a blast from the source past, sort of. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.34.12 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Also note that the main site will be down some time next week as it and I will be moving to L.A. Here's hoping California has better internet speed than Texas. Here's hoping the networking is a lot simpler in the new place. Can I get a RAmen!?

I digress...

Anyone with a yen to donate to defray some of my costs are welcome to visit the donation page. I would never deny someone the joy of donating to such a worthy cause as myself. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

For those of you who can't live without Pappy's seeds, go ahead and bookmark one or all of the mirror sites, or use the links provided in my signature. I promise to be back on air sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Pappy
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae,

All the best with your move. Texas to California is some distance to move.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually not as far as from Toledo, Ohio to Dallas; the trip that brought me here. I can make it to L.A in two days. Technically, if I wanted to completely skip sleep, I could probably make it in about twenty-three hours. I might have done something that silly when I was younger, but I'd rather get there in one piece.

I really am hyped to go. Everyone I know, including myself, thinks it will be good for me. I've been ready to go for a while. I've just had a lot of things get in the way. Now, as it appears the stars wish to align for me, it's only a few days away.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New sources and a new source family top today's kernel-dot-org output. I've just uploaded .configs for 3.0.32, 3.2.18, 3.3.7, 3.4.0, and 3.4.0-gentoo in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the move go?
Do you like the new place ?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going to happen either Thursday or Friday...when the money hits my bank account. I have seen the new place via google maps, and it looks nice. I'll announce the move and when I'm back.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more source packages from the hardened-sources folks showed up in portage today. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r105, 3.2.17-hardened-r1, and 3.3.6-hardened-r1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

The site will most likely go down some time Wednesday afternoon. Don't forget to bookmark one of the site mirrors. The site will most likely be back up this weekend, or early in the week, depending on how long I want to take to check out L.A. once I get there.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the last night that kernel-seeds.org will be serving its content from The Lone Star State. When it comes back on line, it will be serving from Los Angeles, California... not too far from the La Brea Tar Pits.

Don't forget to bookmark one or more of the mirrors below. If wireless access isn't a problem, I should be able to update from the road.

Cheers,
Pappy
john-doe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoooray! what's the advantage of 'pappy's kernel'? :roll:
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john-doe,

If we told you, it would spoil the educational experiance you would gain by tryiing it yourself :)

In reality, you get a lean mean kernel tailored to your hardware without having to learn a great deal about configuring the kernel first.
Pappy provides a 'seed' .config file to which you must add you hardware and filesystem support. How to do this is well documented.
Read one of the websites in Pappys signature.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now here in L.A. I've just gotten my wireless router back to functional. I should have the main site up and running sometime either late today or around mid day Wednesday.

What is the advantage of using one of my seeds? It saves hours of guesswork in the setup of your Linux kernel. NeddySeagoon is very correct about this being a well documented site. As I said above, the main site will either be up later on today or sometime midday Wednesday (tomorrow). Go ahead and peruse one of the mirror sites until I give the word that the main site is up. Once I find a place to set the machine on which it's running, it should be up quickly.

Cheers,
Pappy
john-doe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
john-doe

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-541850-start-300.html
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main site is back up. It will be updated later on today.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, I've gotten the time to update all the pages. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r105, 2.6.32-hardened-r106, 2.6.32-hardened-r107, 3.0.32, 3.2.18, 3.2.18-hardened, 3.2.18-hardened-r1, 3.3.7, 3.3.7-gentoo, 3.3.7-hardened, and 3.3.7-hardened-r1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Some may appear to be repeats, but I found missing files on all the sites. Those files are now ready to go.

Cheers,
Pappy
PhaytalError
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
At last, I've gotten the time to update all the pages. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r105, 2.6.32-hardened-r106, 2.6.32-hardened-r107, 3.0.32, 3.2.18, 3.2.18-hardened, 3.2.18-hardened-r1, 3.3.7, 3.3.7-gentoo, 3.3.7-hardened, and 3.3.7-hardened-r1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Some may appear to be repeats, but I found missing files on all the sites. Those files are now ready to go.

Cheers,
Pappy

What happend to the 3.4.0-Gentoo seeds? o.O
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got forgotten, along with the 3.4.0 vanilla seeds. I'll put them up some time tomorrow. My apologies.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new day, some new sources, and that means new seeds. Some of those are for sources that have yet to get to portage. I've just uploaded .configs for 3.0.33, 3.0.33-gentoo, 3.2.19, 3.3.8, 3.4.0, 3.4.0-gentoo, and 3.4.1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new day, some new sources. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r108, 3.0.34, 3.2.19-hardened, 3.3.8-hardened, and 3.4.2 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a stupid question, but why are you re-releasing .configs with every minor update? .config changes after a major release are a very rare occasion.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the idea is to make it as simple as possible to get your kernel going. The seed remains a way for those who don't know a lot about the kernel to be able to learn how to work with kernel configuration. While it's true that make oldconfig would work for minor updates, in my opinion, it's better to keep it simple. As the noob gains more knowledge, they are free to move into more complicated kernel configuration.

Also. saying that the only major changes in family changes ignores the reality that there are numerous mid-family changes that occur. Since I have worked with pretty much every kernel source package since 2.6.17, I have seen numerous changes that occur in minor revisions. Once again, for the convenience of the noob, it's better to keep up with the changes myself, leaving configuration as simple as possible.

There is also the reality of back-porting that happens with some older sources. Since there are currently about eight different major revisions (families), back-porting is a reality, especially for the older families. Once again, for the noob, I keep up with these to keep the seeds as simple as possible to use.

Technically speaking, I could put out one .config per family. It would save me time. That's not what the seed is about, though. As I say in the welcome page, "Through it all, the kernel seed remains what it started out being; a configuration file where all of the tough stuff has already been done." If the tough stuff winds up being making minor revisions as they come up in portage or at kernel.org, so be it. As long as the seed remains the most simple way to set up the kernel for the noob, then it remains true to its original intent.

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly appreciate being able to just fetch the kernel sources and then fetch the corresponding seed, and do the tweaks per Pappy's instructions on his web site. I am only a sysadm by default, because there is nobody else to do it. I do not earn my money being a sysadm; I earn my money developing software, but I need working computers to do it. Pappy's Seeds have greatly simplified my life these past few years.

When I started using Gentoo, I had to install a minimal version of Red Hat 8 (or was it 9?) as a bootstrap just because I had old machines that did not have a cd drive, only a floppy. I then had to figure everything out pretty much from scratch.

I run some difficult configurations, because I use LVM for my root filesystem, and frequently also raid and encrypted disk drives or partitions, so I need am initrd (now an initramfs). I had to homebrew my initrd using red hat nash because there was no reasonable other way to do it. It has all gotten much easier the past few years, and although Pappy does not address initramfs issues much, making the operation of getting the basic kernel up and running the first time (most of the time, not counting the infamous "Nemesis Machine") has saved me many hours of tedium.

My hat is off to Pappy for his unrelenting efforts to make kernel builds as easy as posible, but still as flexible as all of Gentoo has to offer. Thank you Pappy!

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your most welcome...as always. Thank you for being a mirror site operator.

Cheers,
Pappy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: