Delete an Account
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Delete an Account Reply with quote

Hi,

I stopped using Gentoo long ago and I want to delete

- my bugzilla account
- my form account

but I can't find appropriate functionality in neither bugzilla nor gentoo forum. How do I do that?

Thanks
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to ask forum/bugzilla admin to do it for you.
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I find them? I was looking for "Contact" options or the like, but I found nothing like it... neither here nor in the bugzilla.
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can ask in this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-547737-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-475.html

Or contact e.g. NeddySeagon directly
https://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=24240
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We cannot delete accounts that have been used.
It leaves the forums database in a mess with gaps in threads and hanging threads, where you woer the original poster.

If the accound is not used, it will be deleted by a cron job once it reaches a certian age.

For a used account, the best we can offer is to lock it. You can do this yourself by setting a long random password.

Now that's what I call bullshit.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genetic,

Genetic wrote:
Now that's what I call bullshit.

Would you care to offer some more constructive crtisism?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Would you care to offer some more constructive crtisism?

Of course, I'm sorry.

From the privacy point of view, it is just impossible that I can't delete my account. If your server was situated in Germany you would - to my best knowledge - even be obliged by law to offer me this opportunity.

The fact is: I want my account deleted, I don't want any account-specific data on your servers and I don't think I'm the only one with that oppinion!
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Genetic, our working assumption is that your posts have added value to the community: either you've asked interesting questions which elicited informative answers or you've contributed answers to interesting questions. Even if you assert that none of your questions or answers have any technical value at all, your posts provide bridging context: removing them would make the remaining posts more confusing and harder to understand. Deleting your account and all your posts would be poor return to the all-volunteer community that supports the Gentoo Linux distribution.

There are other reasons as well. Suffice it to say that it is our longstanding policy not to delete user accounts.

- John
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, surely Genetic's user account could be deleted without deleting his posts? I thought phpBB forum software allows an administrator to delete a user account without deleting the user's posts and without removing the username itself, which just becomes 'plain text', as it were? See, for example, this phpBB forum post by a user donnie who was subsequently deleted by an administrator of that forum. Notice that the username is in black text and is not a hyperlink, unlike un-deleted users. Some other forum software replaces the user name with 'Guest' in posts by a deleted user account, leaving the posts intact. So presumably Genetic's request is not impossible in the case of the Gentoo Forums?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's just how it works in social networks as well: The messages stay where they are only that they are sent by "Deleted User" and the associated accout is gone.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French law would also inforce privacy, but french law wouldn't be applied to an account named "Genetic", but to an account named as its real name author.
And even with your real name account, french law would allow any forum to kept your posts for a delay, to make sure anything you've said would stay avaiable to be read in case you've infringe a law by saying something not appropriate, like public insult, racism or false assertion on someone...
I don't know the german specific privacy policy, but i'm sure your law is also > your privacy upto a certain delay.

Now it looks you are stuck, well in fact it's easy : 1/ don't use the account anymore 2/ ask a name change in the forum name change thread to get your genetic nick virginity back.
Because in name change post, you will see "one you cannot know" asking to change name to "thatname" and his post is now hold by "thatname", so i suppose a nick change will change the nick on all your posts, hey hey, or the mods change the nick also in the name change asking post.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
@Genetic, our working assumption is that your posts have added value to the community: either you've asked interesting questions which elicited informative answers or you've contributed answers to interesting questions. Even if you assert that none of your questions or answers have any technical value at all, your posts provide bridging context: removing them would make the remaining posts more confusing and harder to understand. Deleting your account and all your posts would be poor return to the all-volunteer community that supports the Gentoo Linux distribution.

There are other reasons as well. Suffice it to say that it is our longstanding policy not to delete user accounts.

- John

Does this still hold true I want my Gentoo Bugs and Gentoo Forums account to be deleted, or atleast want my email address to be removed. Don't care about the posts though
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANAL, but do get in touch with this area.
To Dutch law I can't find anything in here that would force the forum maintainers to oblige.
There is no collection of sensitive data.
A nick, especially a gene(r/t)ic one will not uphold any value anywhere I think.

So what you want to try is; kindly ask (at most)

1. To get your nick changed in the forum by a maintainer to a random string like "redacted-RND"
2. Ask the Bugzilla people to delete your email address

What you might not like:
1. Even with a namechange, you'd could hardly ask them to edit the post where you have been named?
"no it's redacted-4370s, got it from my fathers side"
2. A fake one will not work as you would get servers actually trying to send that stuff and they don't know about each others exclusions.

On a less technical but personal level, "what's up?".
I know I've been cleaning my digital presence on some levels.
But not the tech forums, especially with using a nick.
I'm... intrigued :P
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Indeed, the policy is (still) to not delete user accounts, but they will be anonymised upon request:

- The user name becomes the user ID in the database.
- The user e-mail will be set to 'forum-mods@gentoo.org'.
- Any profile information, including the avatar, will be cleared.
- The account password will be replaced with a scrambled, random-like string.

Effectively, the account will be cleared of any user information, and locked down.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Indeed, the policy is (still) to not delete user accounts, but they will be anonymised upon request:

- The user name becomes the user ID in the database.
- The user e-mail will be set to 'forum-mods@gentoo.org'.
- Any profile information, including the avatar, will be cleared.
- The account password will be replaced with a scrambled, random-like string.

Effectively, the account will be cleared of any user information, and locked down.

Could you help me with this or do I need to send a support request somewhere?
And i guess this is forum only not bugs so I would have to handle that separately
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I managed to forget to mention any methods of requesting said process... apologies for that!

- Send an e-mail to 'forum-mods@gentoo.org' asking for it.
- Post in the Username change request thread (part 3) topic, or whichever part is current at the time of reading.
- Send a private message to one of the administrators.

They might pick up your request from here, too, but those are the common methods, and aside from the third option, they will reach all the admins at once (some might catch private messages later than others).

For Bugzilla, yeah, that will be separate. You may open a bug requesting for this over there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: