View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: UDisks2 is used by default for gnome-base/gvfs in ~arch Reply with quote

Well, perhaps this will clear things up or help someone.

USE="udisks udev" for gnome-base/gvfs will enable sys-fs/udisks:2 support instead of old USE="gdu udev" which enabled sys-fs/udisks:0.
The default desktop profile will flip these USE flags (since yesterday).

The difference is that sys-fs/udisks:2 will require new kernel opts, and the sys-fs/udisks:2 ebuild will warn you about them.

Also, /media is obsolete and replaced by /run/media/$username, for this you need to ensure /run is in place (sys-fs/udisks:2 and >=sys-apps/baselayout-2.1-r1 will create it) and is mounted with "tmpfs" -- rebooting is recommended if not.

You should see,

Code:

$ grep "^tmpfs.*/run " /proc/mounts
tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755 0 0
$ echo $?

And after inserting removable storage device and opening it,

Code:

# ls -ld /run/media
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 May 16 09:25 /run/media

For now this is only affecting GNOME and Xfce (Thunar) users in ~arch. Others, like KDE users, will be affected once KDE will switch from UDisks1 to UDisks2.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My udisks was upgraded yesterday and nautilus doesn't "see" new plugged devices anymore (i.e., they don't appear in the left pane). I don't use gnome, I use openbox, so they weren't automounted before, but at least I could see them in nautilus device list and click them to mount them.

Also, this doesn't seem normal:
Code:
~ $ udisksctl dump

(process:2142): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:2142): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:2142): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:2142): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Error connecting to the udisks daemon: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.UDisks2: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper received signal 5

Or:

Code:
~ $ cat .xsession-errors
(nautilus:2234): GModule-CRITICAL **: g_module_symbol: assertion `module != NULL' failed

** (nautilus:2234): WARNING **: (null)

(nautilus:2234): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor is not supported

The volume monitor is running:

Code:
~ $ ps aux | grep udisk
fran      2239  0.0  0.0 116936  2844 ?        Sl   11:13   0:00 /usr/libexec/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:

The volume monitor is running:

Code:

~ $ ps aux | grep udisk
fran      2239  0.0  0.0 116936  2844 ?        Sl   11:13   0:00 /usr/libexec/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor

Odd. I have /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd running too.

Code:

root      2477  0.0  0.0 376404  6396 ?        Sl   May14   0:21 /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd --no-debug
root      2489  0.0  0.0 193148  3860 ?        Sl   May14   0:01 /usr/libexec/udisks-daemon
root      2490  0.0  0.0  45192   792 ?        S    May14   0:00 udisks-daemon: not polling any devices
1000     26862  0.0  0.0   9532   916 pts/4    S+   13:35   0:00 grep --colour=auto udisks
1000     30975  0.0  0.0 367856  6276 ?        Sl   06:10   0:00 /usr/libexec/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:

When I try to run udisksd as root, nothing happens. However dmesg shows:
Code:
udisksd[3399] trap int3 ip:7fb0ac6ffbe7 sp:7fff5bcb9e00 error:0

Not very helpful. Seems I'm not alone: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=799647. In my case I don't need to plug anything, it simply won't run.

(edit) Duh, I was running it with no-debug. Without it I see the problem
Code:
 # /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd
12:48:56.274:[3470]:[NOTICE]: udisks daemon version 1.97.0 starting [main.c:146, main()]
12:48:56.275:[3470]:[DEBUG]: Entering main event loop [main.c:171, main()]

(udisksd:3470): udisksd-ERROR **: No /proc/swaps file: No such file or directory
Trace/breakpoint trap

WTF. I don't want or need swap. I'll try enabling it in the kernel and see what happens.

(edit 2) Yep, that was it. Now everything works. You should add a check for CONFIG_SWAP in the udisks:2 ebuilds. I won't file a bug, I assume you are the mantainer of the ebuild :)
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
(edit 2) Yep, that was it. Now everything works. You should add a check for CONFIG_SWAP in the udisks:2 ebuilds. I won't file a bug, I assume you are the mantainer of the ebuild :)

Done.
Small_Penguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One should further mention that you have to add a policy file for udisks2 in order to be able to mount/unmount volumes on external SATA drives etc., similar to udisks.
For example:

cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.udisks2.pkla
[Local Users]
Identity=unix-group:users
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled over this accidently while upgrading the laptop of my wife and mine. Funny though that the problem only occured on my wifes laptop. Emerging Nautilus again came up with an error message that USB_SUSPEND and TMPFS_POSIX_ACL or something like that were missing. Rebuilding the kernel with usb suspend and posix_acl solved the problem.
sgarcia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to get the original behavior back?

I don't have a multi-seat workstation. It's just me.

This change broke some things here. For some reason the USB drive that is permanently attached got attached to the wrong username (Yes, I have more than one username on this machine. They're all me.) For right now I've got a symlink from /media to my main listing under media, but that didn't help in this case.

This is a fairly radical change to the way a desktop works. At the very least it deserves an entry in the News listing from portage.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: UDisks2 is used by default for gnome-base/gvfs in ~arch Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
Well, perhaps this will clear things up or help someone.

USE="udisks udev" for gnome-base/gvfs will enable sys-fs/udisks:2 support instead of old USE="gdu udev" which enabled sys-fs/udisks:0.
The default desktop profile will flip these USE flags (since yesterday).

The difference is that sys-fs/udisks:2 will require new kernel opts, and the sys-fs/udisks:2 ebuild will warn you about them.

Also, /media is obsolete and replaced by /run/media/$username, for this you need to ensure /run is in place (sys-fs/udisks:2 and >=sys-apps/baselayout-2.1-r1 will create it) and is mounted with "tmpfs" -- rebooting is recommended if not.

What process or application sets the default permissions on media auto-mounted in /run/media/$username/some_media. From my experiences as of late the default permissions are so strict that some ebuilds where I need to
Code:
export CD_ROOT=/run/media/$username/some_media
are unable to find or access the files they need. I have a post at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=7483634#7483634 where I am attempting to sort out the problems I am encountering.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: