View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theluckymike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] slim loads xorg instead of xfce4 Reply with quote

Hi.

I Installed Gentoo and it runs perfectly. Next was xfce4 - it launches good too ( few errors about missing modules vesa and fbdev, but wile xfce is working I want to install rest of system and then catch up weird errors.. ) and I decided to install slim - I followed this http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml. Now it boots up to login screen nicly, but when I enter user name and password it starts Xorg I guess, cos it's only black screen with white X for mouse cursor.. I'm not sure what info I have to provide, but will manage it, just ask.

And yes - when I use startx or startxfce4 then xfce4 loads in. help ;(

Last edited by theluckymike on Sat May 19, 2012 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1 will allow you to cycle through your sessions.

Don't worry about vesa and fbdev. If I recall correctly those are just fall back drivers that you don't need. There is no harm in xorg failing to load them.

The slim wicki is a good place to learn about your new login manager: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/SLiM

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
theluckymike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know about F1 and it gives me 2 choises - Xfce4 or Xseasson, in any case it loads xorg only ;(
I was trying to "get smart" in that wiki, tried all of them, but still can't make it work.

Maybe I need some ideas were to start and what specific to check? Like what should I look for or smth..
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert with slim. Here is one thing to check: is consolekit installed and started? If not try that.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
theluckymike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the problem - now everything is perfect :) Thank you.
bigbangnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say on this page . But yeah, consolekit fixed it...thanks for the info guys.
nichocouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and the solution was indeed to add consolekit to the default runlevel.
It is said in the guide to do that:
Quote:
Note: If you have ConsoleKit installed, your ~/.xinitrc should instead contain exec startxfce4 --with-ck-launch. Otherwise, some of your applications may stop working. You'll also need to add consolekit to the default runlevel by running the following command as root: rc-update add consolekit default.

However it is in a section which I've skipped as I knew I didn't want to use startx but I went straight to the SLIM part of the guide.
It should probably be made more obvious in the guide that consolekit must be added to the default runlevel.

L'Etat, c'est moi.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: