Search mod
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejdmoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Search mod Reply with quote

Someone here must be good enough at php to do this...heck, I'd bet I could do it!

Simply make it so that when you search the results from the Tips & Tricks/Documentation forums come up first, possibly highlighted. Also, along those lines, when someone comes and asks something saying "I searched but found nothing!", ask them what they searched for and possibly add those keywords to the correct FAQ.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue isn't generally with how hard something is to add, but rather how difficult it is to maintain when upgrading phpbb. If 100 changes are made, then you have to maintain 100 changes across upgrades. That can be cumbersome.

I'm not in any way related to changing the site though. Nitro and klieber are the admins. Usually that is a response similar to what they give.
ejdmoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I know your gripe. I was (and sorta still am) very, very heavily involved over at YaBB. The key is just to keep a backup of the original sources. This looks like pretty much a stock version of phpBB, from my exerience.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that providing a sample implementation that attempts to minimize the changes to existing phpBB files helped.

If somebody could come up with a skeleton implementation of all or part of this idea that only adds one-line hooks in a couple of places, and does all the heavy lifting in separate files, I think it stands a better chance of getting off the ground.

If it can be done that way, then on upgrades, the mod may not work any more and have to be disabled, but it's not likely to break the board. If you're doing extensive inline modification to core phpBB files (like search), the existence of the mod alone could make the upgrade of the core functionality of the board get much more difficult. And I haven't seen any modification that intrusive get accepted yet. I guess there's a first time for everything, but...

Again, as kanuslupus said, Nitro and klieber are the ones that hold all the cards here.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard the answer that "It'll make upgrading harder." a lot. So much so that I'm very curious to know how many times the forums have been upgraded since they were started in April. That being said, I tend to agree. Having something die because of an upgrade sucks. If people are really all that concerned about how the forums are working they should get involved in phpBB.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
I have heard the answer that "It'll make upgrading harder." a lot. So much so that I'm very curious to know how many times the forums have been upgraded since they were started in April.

Twice. The first upgrade (2.0.0 --> 2.0.1) fixed a fairly serious cross-site scripting vulnerability. We had several mods installed at that time (news mod and others) that we not compatible with 2.0.1, so we had the choice of dumping them, or being exposed to a cross-site scripting vulnerability. You'll notice we don't have a news mod any more. :)

--kurt
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another search mod technique for someone more industrious than me (or at least with more free time..) to think about. Find a way to search a date range. For example, if I wanted to search all posts between Jan 10 and Jan 14, there's currently no way to do this. All you can do right now is search the last X days, weeks, months, of posts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: