View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Cairo fails to emerge [SOLVED] Reply with quote

When I try to emerge cairo (1.10.2-r1 and r2), it fails to compile tossing errors about not being able to use threads and then all the mutex objects fail to build.

The original error said to define CAIRO_NO_MUTEX to 1, so I set up CAIRO_NO_MUTEX="1" in make.conf, and that did nothing. I tried setting it from the command line, and more nothing.

I've tried tinkering with a few other things like the "threads" flag but nothing works.

[ebuild N ] x11-libs/cairo-1.10.2-r2 USE="X glib opengl svg (-aqua) -debug -directfb -doc (-drm) (-gallium) (-openvg) -qt4 -static-libs -xcb"

Environment
Build Log

Last edited by Incomplet on Thu May 03, 2012 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not related, but I doubt you want to compile cairo with opengl support.

Last time I tried --enable-gl, gtk+-2 wouldn't compile, and I believe it doesn't work well with nvidia's video driver.
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha yeah I noticed there's a note about opengl support being experimental, so I went back and changed it to directfb.
No, that didn't help it compile any better XD.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the first explicit error is:
Incomplet wrote:
cairo-mutex-impl-private.h:262:3: error: #error "XXX: No mutex implementation found. Cairo will not work with multiple threads. Define CAIRO_NO_MUTEX to 1 to acknowledge and accept this limitation and compile cairo without thread-safety support."

but the first interesting result is actually:
Incomplet wrote:
checking for cairo's pthread feature...
checking whether cairo's pthread feature could be enabled... no (can't link with -lpthread or -pthread)

so, check your config.log.
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a clear config.log in var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/cairo-1.10.2-r1/temp.

There are a few files that look like they could be a config log, but their contents are all basically identical to the "is expanded from..." stuff at the beginning of the build log. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

EDIT: There is something else strange that might be responsible:
checking for native atomic primitives... intel
checking whether atomic ops require a memory barrier... yes

I'm definitely not running intel hardware, so that might be why it fails to find the correct locking functions. I have no idea how to fix that, though.

EDIT2: nevermind. Found a similar old thread, and the intel thing probably has nothing to do with it. However, I still can't find anything else interesting :|.

EDIT3: Ok.. what would cause it to fail to link to pthreads? I'm not real sure what to start rebuilding x.x. The only things I can think of are glibc and the kernel headers, and I already rebuilt my kernel headers. Do my compiled kernel settings have any effect on that?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: config.log is (well, in most of the cases, beside recursive configure, obviously) in ${WORKDIR}.
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I don't ask stupid questions, I won't learn anything :P. Also, I'm working in a pure console, no MC or anything, so I'm fairly blind.

However, thanks, I nailed it. For some unknown reason it was spamming my LDFLAGS when it did its conf checking, and gcc returned "unknown option" for all of them, which returned false negatives for a bunch of things.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The original error said to define CAIRO_NO_MUTEX to 1, so I set up CAIRO_NO_MUTEX="1" in make.conf, and that did nothing. I tried setting it from the command line, and more nothing.

Same for me. Adding it to make.conf was useless.

[ebuild U ] x11-libs/cairo-1.12.16 [1.12.14-r4] USE="X (-aqua) -debug -directfb -doc (-drm) (-gallium) (-gles2) glib -legacy-drivers -opengl -openvg (-qt4) -static-libs svg -valgrind -xcb -xlib-xcb" 0 kB

With X or -X the problem remains.

CertFP: becbbd161d5a5c31de3c45171b77bf710911db29 / d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: