Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr,

NOOOOO!!!!!!

You must have a very old install for that to work. PATA device names like /dev/hda have been unsupported for almost a year.
They need the old depreciated unmaintained IDE drivers and udev no longer creates /dev/ nodes for such devices.

The PATA drivers have been migrated into the SATA menu which uses the SCSI stack. You need to migrate your system too or many other things will break.
The documentaiton is correct.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you, I used the 2011-08-30 minimal CD using a portage snapshot from last week. Now that I am live on my system, I'd welcome you to ssh in and poke around yourself (once I get that all setup).
symtex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
jnagyjr,

NOOOOO!!!!!!

You must have a very old install for that to work. PATA device names like /dev/hda have been unsupported for almost a year.
They need the old depreciated unmaintained IDE drivers and udev no longer creates /dev/ nodes for such devices.

The PATA drivers have been migrated into the SATA menu which uses the SCSI stack. You need to migrate your system too or many other things will break.
The documentaiton is correct.

I had the same issue as jnagyjr. LiveCD was /dev/sdax while grub was asking for /dev/hdax. I downloaded the latest stage3 when I did my install.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symtex, jnagyjr,

You both have PATA electrically connected HDD and are using the drivers in the
Code:
< > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED)  --->
kernel menu.

This has nothing to do the liveCD you used to install as none of its code gets into your install. Neither is it related the the stage3 file you downloaded as the stage3 does not provide a kernel configuration. Building your kernel is something you do for yourself, unless you use genkernel.

Please
Code:
emerge wgetpaste
and run
Code:
wgetpate /usr/src/linix/.config
to put your kernel configuration files on the web.
Post the URL you get back from wgetpaste.

Even for PATA drives, you should use the kernel drivers in these menus
Code:

│ │                SCSI device support  --->                                                     │ │ 
 │ │            <*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers  --->
this will give your PATA devices SCSI names.

On the SCSI device support menu, you need
Code:
  │ │            < > RAID Transport Class                                                          │ │ 
  │ │            -*- SCSI device support                                                           │ │ 
  │ │            < > SCSI target support                                                           │ │ 
  │ │            [*] legacy /proc/scsi/ support                                                    │ │ 
  │ │                *** SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM) ***                                │ │ 
  │ │            <*> SCSI disk support                                                             │ │ 
  │ │            < > SCSI tape support                                                             │ │ 
  │ │            < > SCSI OnStream SC-x0 tape support                                              │ │ 
  │ │            <*> SCSI CDROM support                                                            │ │ 
  │ │            [ ]   Enable vendor-specific extensions (for SCSI CDROM)                          │ │ 
  │ │            <*> SCSI generic support                                                          │ │ 
  │ │            < > SCSI media changer support                                                    │ │ 
  │ │            [*] Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device
Setting on the Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers menu are hardware specific.

Support for the ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED) ---> drivers is in the process of being removed.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
symtex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So I guess this correctly. I remove the deprecated driver, recompile my kernel, update my /etc/fstab and grub.conf and I am good to go
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symtex,

Correct.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
symtex, jnagyjr,

Code:
kernel menu.

This has nothing to do the liveCD you used to install as none of its code gets into your install. Neither is it related the the stage3 file you downloaded as the stage3 does not provide a kernel configuration. Building your kernel is something you do for yourself, unless you use genkernel.

Did you miss the part where I said I was running an AMD Sempron processor? Nothing in my computer is PATA or SATA connected. NOTHING. Do you really wish to continue making assumptions about my hardware?
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
symtex, jnagyjr,

Code:
kernel menu.

Did you miss the part where I said I was running an AMD Sempron processor? Nothing in my computer is PATA or SATA connected. NOTHING. Do you really wish to continue making assumptions about my hardware?

Well, I think he assumed your computer had some sort of hard drive or USB port for storage, though you didn't explicitly say so;
in which case it must be using the PATA or SATA bus to connect them (for various reasons, USB is built on SATA). I still use the
older PATA drivers, since they work well on and are convenient for my older hardware, but any machine less than four or five years
old should really be using SATA.

Wlll
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr,

You appear to have some hardware storage device of some sort connected somehow or it would not want device names like /dev/?da
If you have root over nfs, (ie no local storage at all) thats quite different, but then /dev/hda? wouldn't work either.

This has nothing to do with your CPU.

Now you have whetted my appitite to know what storage device you use for your root filesystem and how its actually wired.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
jnagyjr,

You appear to have some hardware storage device of some sort connected somehow or it would not want device names like /dev/?da
If you have root over nfs, (ie no local storage at all) thats quite different, but then /dev/hda? wouldn't work either.

This has nothing to do with your CPU.

Now you have whetted my appitite to know what storage device you use for your root filesystem and how its actually wired.

I have IDE connected hard drives and CDRW and DVD+RW (with lightscribe, but that's neither here nor there). I do have USB ports and a in-the-case USB connected multi-card reader, but my storage is all IDE. Yes, the wide ribbon cables. Not the newer PATA/SATA stuff (aside from USB, which is used for mouse, keyboard, and speaker power). My system is an old Compaq Presario that was shipped with WinXP (which I have installed on the original hard drive, also IDE connected; cd-rw and dvd+rw are not original). It has an integrated SiS audio card and some cheap video card that's been easier to use than my old Radeon9000 series (in another, even older, system).

Anyway, I'm done with this thread as my issue with file-systems not mounting was solved (though I am having some other anomalous issues that I'm not convinced are related to the tarball).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr,

The old /dev/hda names are no longer supported. I realise you have real PATA 80/40 way ribbon connected hard drives.
The menuconfig entry for the drivers you are using is already labeled depreciated and support for /dev//hd* has been removed from udev.

The current PATA drivers have been reunited with the SCSI drivers, on which the older, original now depreciated drivers were based.
You are going to have problems in the future.

However, Gentoo is all about choice. The choice is yours.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
jnagyjr,

The old /dev/hda names are no longer supported. I realise you have real PATA 80/40 way ribbon connected hard drives.
The menuconfig entry for the drivers you are using is already labeled depreciated and support for /dev//hd* has been removed from udev.

The current PATA drivers have been reunited with the SCSI drivers, on which the older, original now depreciated drivers were based.
You are going to have problems in the future.

However, Gentoo is all about choice. The choice is yours.

I didn't select that, though. That's what I'm trying to say. Neither when I did 'make menuconfig' or 'genkernel all'. That was the way it defaulted to on it's own.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr,

File a bug against genkernel at bugs.gentoo.org please.
The depreciated drivers menu is off in the kernel default configuration. If genkernel is turning them on, its broken.

What you have now will not work properly. If you must use genkernel, use the -menuconfig option and fix your kernel configuration by hand before the kernel builds.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will, just not today. I have other things I need to take care of (such as permissions issues with my home partition; getting rw access to Windows, actually being able to boot into Windows, though I think I might have ruined myself in that way; and getting alsa to work on boot and various and sundry applications to remember the configuration options from one boot to the next). As much as it is important that genkernel be fixed, for me it's not an issue anymore. I will file it by the end of the week if I remember.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr,

For windows ntfs rw, you need to
Code:
emerge ntfs-3g
and add FUSE to your kernel. The kernel ntfs driver supports only changing a file in place, provided the file size does not change. The filesystem type will be ntfs3g, not ntfs.

For alsa settings to persist over shutdown and reboot, you need the alsasound service in the default runlevel.
The alsa guide says to use the boot runlevel but on a broken box I'm trying to fix, I can manage without sound.

Keep in mind that udev will not enumerate your hard drives and partitions while you use the depreciated drivers. You will ne to use mknod to make the device nodes by hand but they will still work that way. If you turn off udev (I don't know how to do that) you will have a static /dev with all the entries you could ever need but hot plugging and device discovery will no longer work.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr wrote:
but my storage is all IDE. Yes, the wide ribbon cables. Not the newer PATA/SATA stuff

Don't die in doubt : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
you will then know why saying my storage is IDE and not PATA is a mistake.

jnagyjr wrote:
Nothing in my computer is PATA or SATA connected. NOTHING. Do you really wish to continue making assumptions about my hardware?

And maybe, why not, be more kind with one that try to help you, because we all do mistakes, but it never hurt to admit them.
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for getting hostile, but I get called a liar - without any justification - when asking for help quite often and people try to tell me what I do and don't have (this would be the first time I would be wrong in the identification of my own hardware). I was unaware of the retroactive renaming and thought PATA was something new like SATA. I will work on fixing this particular issue (given the severity) but I'm in no particular hurry today for this issue. I've just set up XDM, Xorg, am working on keeping my sound turned on through reboot, and wondering where I can find my mouse config info (someone pointed me to a website that pointed to a directory and file I do not have).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr,

You are not wrong in the identification of your hardware.
You were not aware that SCSI and IDE/PATA/EIDE... had been reunited under the SCSI kernel branch and the old depreciated drivers are no longer fully supported in Linux on the modern desktop.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filing bug against genkernel while the reconfigured kernel rebuilds and I get my livecd out...just in case.
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilt the kernel, have been wary of trying to install it and boot from it, though.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnagyjr,

As you have to change /etc/fstab going back is a bit of a pain.

Its easy enough to have two different kernels in /boot and two different grub entries to boot them, one with root=/dev/hd... the other with root=/dev/sd..

There is a dirty hack way out provided you do not set timeout=0 in grub.conf and you do not use an initrd.
If it fails, boot to the grub splash screen and append init=/bin/bash to the old, otherwise working kernel line.
This will bring your system up faster then you have ever seen but its just you, the kernel and bash. No services are running, nothing is mounted except root and your environment is empty. Root may be read only.

You can now mount root rw and edit /etc/fstab to get back where you were for another go.
Alternatively you can boot the cd, mount root at /mnt/gento then edit /etc/fstab with
Code:
nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab
There is no reason to enter the chroot or mount anything else.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
jnagyjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome. I will try that after I've updated world (in process).
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blubottle wrote:
Enter stage left My capitain, how you know these difficult things? exit stage right

The original issue got me last night, I am hoping fixing the device nodes will work for me.

I downloaded the latest tarball last week, the problem is still there. I am not sure how to use bugzilla but I can't find a bug there for this
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually belay that, I have had a look in the contents of the tarball and the devices appear to be there, I must have lost them somewhere(?) or maybe the problem is something else entirely.

Ho hum.
Jerichoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am confused is that problem still going on with the latest release?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: