View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ion Silverbolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the posters frustration. To me, Kde 3.5 was the best desktop environment, and I found Kde 4 to be utter garbage. It's actually a lot better now, but I still miss Kde 3.5 The nice thing about leaving Kde was discovering Xfce. And the Xfce development team works very slow. This is very much fine with me. I don't care much for sudden drastic change. :)

That said, you might try working with Xfce a bit. It's a lot like Gnome 2 in many ways. In fact, that's why I picked it over Gnome 2 when I left Kde. It was like Gnome, but with a lot less resource usage.
monkeygirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo has the Gnome fork Cinnamon in portage. If you want to stick with a DE closer along the lines of Gnome 2 that is maintained, perhaps you should consider this DE.
section12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove gnome 3 from portage Reply with quote

Nreal wrote:
I think that should be done. I really miss that old 2.3 style gnome desktop, this new one is just garbage.

What do you think about that?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I think that is a ripping good idea, sir!

I hate Gnome 3. Absolutely hate it.

Limited. Can't customize anything without jumping through fiery hoops lined with razor blades and dripping H2SO4.

I kicked it around and went back to XFCE. At least there I can do what I want.
k-root
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

i love flames and haters , they are always relevant of something big ...

8)
gcb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
gcb wrote:
Leio wrote:
For users that want to stick to the old desktop metaphors, even after trying out gnome-shell for a while

it's the worst of both worlds :(

i don't know if the fall back mode is this, pardon me if not. but using the fallback mode you have the outdated window manager (the new IS cool, no argue with that) with all the missing functionality.

I'm not sure which alternative you are talking about here. After the cut quote I talked about cinnamon, which builds a more traditional desktop on top of 3D, but you seem to talk about gnome-fallback instead.
The "outdated" window manager used in fallback, metacity, is very very polished in regards to _window management_, it doesn't have much of those fancy effects and so on, but window management it is very goot at - that's why mutter was also based on metacity code - the window management stuff works very well in that codebase. The point of gnome-fallback is to provide an alternative for those whose OpenGL in their computer environment doesn't work well enough, and that's where metacity comes in - it's pure 2D, no OpenGL.

gcb wrote:
When i was forced to use gnome3 for the first time under ubuntu there was not even a way to set up keyboard shortcuts... yet it was good enough to force on the users.

I hope you don't have Ubuntu Unity in mind here, instead of a polished gnome-shell environment.

unity was just my first contact with gnome being ripped of functionality.

i immediately installed debian on all my computers to not promote this, and right after i did it, gnome3 attacked there.
I spend a lot of time *trying* to make it a usable desktop. until I got myself writing patches to gnome-tweak... at that time i just stopped. and thought what i was doing with my time!

i simply can't spend days trying to have basic things. so now i'm on gentoo using KDE. well, i still have this one computer at work running debian with the fallback mode of gnome3. I have a full featured 3D capable hardware, but i can't use anything of that for window management. and i think the only thing i have better with fallback mode instead of the 'full experience' is:
- battery icon
- decent gaim integration
- time zones in the clock/calendar applet.

everything else i could tune via the myriad of settings is now gone and only a handfull of those are available in "system settings" or gnome-tweak (and yes, to a few posts above *now* gnome-tweak does have focus follow mouse. still no don't-raise-window-on-click tought)

anyway, for a good use of my time, i switched window managers. i'm pretty happy with KDE4 for now.

just a little background, i still rather tabbed window managers (ion3, pwm, wmii, etc) and only switched to gnome several years ago because of the facilities the 'gnome ecosystem' provided while used in ubuntu. easy access to wifi, printer configuration settings, etc, etc. too many commodities to list here.

And now it's exactly that same point that moved me away from gnome. It's missing everything and everything is a pain to accomplish there.

again, for the core design decisions of gnome3, i'm all for it. the Javascript extension ideas kick ass. but the execution and how it's being forced incomplete to regular users, not only enthusiast, is what's wrong.
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to put my $.02 in...

I didn't like GNOME 3 from the very first time I heard about gnome-shell. It was one of the reasons I switched away from GNOME on my computers more than a year ago. I tried 3.0.* when it came out but was thoroughly disappointed, and that combined with KDE's various bugs made me actually consider moving 100% back to windows for a little while (that line of thought didn't last long though; it'll take a lot more than that for me to abandon linux :) )

However, in the past few days I've been playing with GNOME 3.2 on a Debian testing virtual machine, and I was very surprised by the fact that I actually liked it. It seems fairly polished and fast. I may even switch over from KDE to GNOME in the future. I am still disappointed by the dumbing-down treatment it has received (moving many options to gconf only), and the way its developers are unreceptive of a lot of feedback regarding it is worrisome, but I'm actually excited about the directions the linux desktop is moving in.

Xfce is a traditional (somewhat lacking in features, though) desktop approach, KDE is more or less traditional but has some new concepts thrown in, and GNOME 3 is for those looking to try something 'new'.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery monitor should work fine in gnome-shell. At least it does for me. I'm not fully sure of other batteries than a laptop one, e.g mouse batteries when the cordless mouse can report it. So no idea without a bug report.

I don't know why would one want gaim integration, I'm assuming you mean pidgin, and that's also none of GNOME business to integrate with. It's just a notification icon and that's it really. However GNOME-3 has a rather thorough integration of telepathy, more so in 3.2 and even better in upcoming 3.4. There's also online accounts integration (google, facebook, flickr, etc), but in Gentoo context we need to figure some things out there in regards to their Terms of Services, API keys and so on - this is noted on the wiki.

Supporting multiple time zone display in the gnome-shell clock popup is desirable, but not yet fully designed and implemented - https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644390

In general often when GNOME does not implement something, it is because a properly designed and thought out solution needs more work and suboptimal temporary solutions aren't often put in. With GNOME-3 a lot of that is also behind design work.
Perhaps someone keen on e.g the timezones in clock/calendar should actually add it to the mentioned wiki page ;)
mephist0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like gnome 3. But I'm missing a taskbar like in gnome 2.

Right next to "Activities" on the left upper corner there is only the currently "open" app listet.

Yes, you can select via activities. But a simpler method would be nice :)

Am I missing a package or is it just so?

PS: yay, my English isnt that good :P

Photography portfolio
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mephist0 wrote:
I like gnome 3. But I'm missing a taskbar like in gnome 2.

Right next to "Activities" on the left upper corner there is only the currently "open" app listet.

Yes, you can select via activities. But a simpler method would be nice :)

Am I missing a package or is it just so?

PS: yay, my English isnt that good :P

You could install avant-window-navigator, cinnamon, or tint2 for a taskbar.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you should install the Bottom Panel Extension then from the official Gentoo package :

Code:

gnome-extra/gnome-shell-extensions
gnome-extra/gnome-shell-frippery
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove gnome 3 from portage Reply with quote

Nreal wrote:
I think that should be done. I really miss that old 2.3 style gnome desktop, this new one is just garbage.

What do you think about that?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you really miss the old gnome-2.3 style desktop, then choose fallback instead of standard.
You also have another choice.....
install gnome-2.3 from Portage. It's still there. So what is your problem?

So is your post designed to start the old "best" DE wars chat?

Again?

:roll:
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Gentoo Chat.

About Gentoo (because it concerns portage) but not a support question.
avkhatri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I am reading something incorrectly, I thought gnome 2.x was still the default in portage?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml

Not to mention running

Code:
emerge -pv gnome

returns

Code:
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-base/gnome-2.32.1-r1  USE="cdr cups dvdr ldap (policykit) -accessibility -mono" 0 kB

in the list of packages to be installed.

So like Thistle said; what is the problem?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: