Good bye and thanks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Good bye and thanks Reply with quote

As you can see from the date I joined these forums I have been a Gentoo user for quite some time. I used several other distros in the five years before that and I really liked the fine-grained control that Gentoo provides. The forums here are probably the most helpful of any I have used.

But, as time went on, upgrading Gentoo has become a major hassle. Blocker packages, re-configuration necessities, ever-longer package build times and various other factors have made me dread updates to the point where I just put it off. That, of course, just made things worse.

So, about a year ago I bought a new laptop and decided to give Arch Linux a shot. Even though I don't use any testing repositories (roughly equivalent to ~arch), their packages are generally newer than Gentoo's and have proven to be extremely stable. I liked it so much that I converted my main desktop machine over to Arch a couple days ago and am posting from it now. It has save me gobs of hard drive space and cut update times to a few minutes rather than half a day.

I am not posting this to gripe, just to say why I have moved on and to express my thanks to the developers for all the hard work they put into this massive project. Special thanks and kudos go to drobbins, the founder.

Good luck to all of you and enjoy your Gentoo experience.

Cheers,
Ron
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronmon,

Any operating system is just a tool to get a job done. Its important that the tool does not get in the way of the job.
Gentoo is not for everyone, nor is it for all time.

I think you will be back ... I just don't know when.
Anyway, good luck with <distro of choice>. You will be welcome back any time. Don't forget your Gentoo forums username and password.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Punisher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Good bye and thanks Reply with quote

ronmon wrote:
So, about a year ago I bought a new laptop and decided to give Arch Linux a shot. Even though I don't use any testing repositories (roughly equivalent to ~arch), their packages are generally newer than Gentoo's and have proven to be extremely stable. I liked it so much that I converted my main desktop machine over to Arch a couple days ago and am posting from it now. It has save me gobs of hard drive space and cut update times to a few minutes rather than half a day.

¿Arch?, good luck with stability....
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see you later ;)
Spinmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Good bye and thanks Reply with quote

Punisher wrote:
ronmon wrote:

I quote it. It's not to start flame, but... really... you'll miss the gentoo testing policies there.
For example not every package pass through [testing] repo in Arch.
Moreover when I used Arch, they declared "stable" even the 4.x.0 versions of kde...
Gentoo does the best mix between stability and bleeding edge.
Good luck! See you!

Proud Gentoo donor. Help Gentoo making a donation so do you.

My italian-language blog: http://www.paba-blog.it ;)
jdhore
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Good bye and thanks Reply with quote

Spinmc wrote:
Punisher wrote:
ronmon wrote:

I quote it. It's not to start flame, but... really... you'll miss the gentoo testing policies there.
For example not every package pass through [testing] repo in Arch.
Moreover when I used Arch, they declared "stable" even the 4.x.0 versions of kde...
Gentoo does the best mix between stability and bleeding edge.
Good luck! See you!

Yeah, sad to say, but Arch WILL break on you at some point. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next week, but at some point. With Gentoo, it pretty much only breaks when you break it or when you've gone a year without updating (and even then, Gentoo is fixable, it just takes a few minutes). Also, Arch will break on you due to its design flaws which will not be fixable like you. As an example, in Arch, you only get support if your system is 100% up-to-date...Which may be a bad thing. Also, as SOON as they release something new, they start requiring it rather than giving some time for real testing.
blue_k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Arch many months ago, then it broke and I gave up. I then used Slackware for a long time, it was, and still is a very nice distro, I just sort of have grown tired of how locked down its development process it. I then tried CentOS, because I was just looking for something stable, but the somewhat outdated packages(I knew about this before I went it), and slowish updates sort of got boring if that makes sense. I am now on Gentoo, took me about a day to figure everything out, but now I believe I am in love. Portage is the best package manager ever. It is just so amazing from a technological stand point, I can't even describe how awesome it is. I also LOVE the control it give me. However, if it was not working for you anymore, then I believe that you should change to what works for you.
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been running Arch on my laptop for a year without any real problems. I wouldn't have put it on my main machine if I had not been satisfied with it so far. Reverting to a previous package version is easy enough if something does break.

I was a Slackware package maintainer for a while before switching to Gentoo ten years ago. There was plenty I liked about it, but not enough for me to switch back. Any RPM based distro is strictly out of the question. If things go south with Arch I'll probably give Sabayon a shot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: