Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New version of popfile - does anybody care?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: New version of popfile - does anybody care? Reply with quote

The only version of mail-filter/popfile currently in portage is 1.1.1, although 1.1.3 was released last September. I can probably modify the ebuild to install the new version - but this seems like a good time to address a number of issues regarding file locations and startup scripts that have been discussed, and I don't think I'm good enough with ebuilds to address that stuff (as well as what else would have to change to use a newer EAPI.) I'm posting this just to see if there is any real interest - otherwise I can just install directly and skip having portage manage it for me. (The ebuild currently is maintainer-needed, so I figure there's no point filing a bug without patches...)
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks quite straight forward to just version bump the current ebuild to the new version. It does not look like the deps need updating.

I don't use it, but what file locations and startup script changes are needed?

For ebuild help, there is #gentoo-dev-help on irc, there are also lots of others in these forums that can offer you help and advice in updating it.

If you are willing to help maintain it, there are devs that can help you proxy maintain it so that all other users can benefit too.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For issues with the ebuild, see this topic and this one and this bug.

I also recall questions about whether /usr/share/popfile is really the best location for it, but I can't find that discussion in the forums or bugs, but I don't think I imagined it.

I suppose I can submit the bug with a minimally updated ebuild, and let any changes be dealt with later.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, looking at those links, it does not look to be difficult to add those patches or init script. For the patches, you will have to look at the source code and see if /where to apply them. then create a diff that can be applied using epatch in the ebuild. The init script is easy to add to the ebuild.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: