Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GCC 3.2 is here: Now is the time to rebuild everything. How?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Trying to follow Spider's directions... Reply with quote

Ok, I was following Spider's directions on updating from gcc 2.95 to gcc 3.2, but now I can't emerge binutils... For some reason it fails at calculating the deps. Here's the error output:

!!! Error: couldn't find match for || in sys-devel/binutils-2.13.90.0.4

So after I do:
export USE="-* build"
emerge --buildpkg gcc

I am unable to get the the next emerge of binutils... Anyone know what's up?
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flake wrote:

i still don't see anything about compiling a new kernel.. is it not nececairy ???

If I know what i'm talking about, (;)) You dont need to have your kernel compiled with the same version as your system, because the kernel doesnt interact with things such as GCC or glibc. So i do recommend compiling it again (it doesnt take long), if its totally out of reach i wouldnt bother. It shouldnt break!
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolio wrote:
Use my program rmerge. It lets you resume emerge -e

You can download a copy at the bug report that I submitted to have it added to the portage tree here.

If you get the latest version, you should be able to dump it into the portage tree and actually emerge it.

However, that's not really necessary. You can just run the script directly from wherever you you put it.

Cheers.

Great job :-)
Thanks

MACPRO machine...
Flake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrrrrrrr.........

i'm again banging my head against something soft (i'm not that stupid)

1090 MB is not enough for xfree compilation.
been freeing up some more stuff, fighting for every bit and bite. my base system is now down to 700 MB.

what surprises my is the amount of shit lying around in various directories! probably files created after emerge installed them, thus protecting them from deletion. but they take up quite some space !!. remnants of xscreensaver, gkrellm, mozilla etc etc .. something like 10 Mb

i know with todays HDD this is hardly a problem, but i have 1,9 gig of playing space on this old box.

Ofcourse there are no gcc3.2 xfree binaries available.

would it be possible for the gentoo archive to conain a gcc3.2 binary xfree-x68 till one becomes available for those not so bleeding edge.
EPrime
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to upgrade my 1.2 system to gcc 3.2 following Spider's instructions (afair on page 3 in this thread) and everything went smoothly right up until the 'emerge -C gcc' part which stripped my system of all instances of gcc :roll:, including the freshly compiled gcc 3.2. Bummer :cry:

So if anyone else is trying this, make sure you don't clean out the 3.2 compiler as well. The emerge --clean 5-second wait actually said it was going to remove it, but I figured it was supposed to do that :wink:

I'll fiddle with the 2.95 backup a bit and see if I can get that to work, otherwise I guess I'll go for the stage1-gcc3.2 package .. rewind patience, load coffee, and light up :)
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not sure for what else this might happen...but if you run the nvidia-kernel module you have to recompile the kernel using the same gcc version as you use to compile nvidia-kernel module
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPrime: Not sure what the original post said, but what you should probably do is "emerge clean" which, when abbreviated is "emerge -c" "emerge -C" is "emerge unmerge" which totally wipes a package from your system.

Then again, Spider probably knows more than I do, so if he said -C then he's probably got a reason. I just can't figure it out. :)
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it was emerge -C gcc

Thats cleans the old 2.95.3 bins from your system, and also gets rid of the C ONLY version of gcc (the "build" in your useflags). The reason he asks you to do that is to get rid of the legacy libs, and then you are supposed to put in the tbz2 package of the C only gcc you compiled earlier!!!

if you didnt build the first gcc as emerge --buildpkg gcc then your buggered. crack out the 2.95.3 builds and start again!!
EPrime
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I did follow his instructions to the letter, but wasn't 100% sure of what was going on with all the gcc shuffling :) After the emerge -C gcc, when the system tried to use the tbz2-package it had no compiler to work with. Thinking about it, I think one is supposed to create a second backup of the gcc 3.2 binaries and libraries before cleaning.

[hours pass]

My 2.95 backup was incomplete (some tools had missing libs) and I couldn't compile gcc 3.2 on the Mandrake-box, so I went with a fresh install using the 1.2 iso and the stage1-x86-1.4 (dated Aug. 20). The stage-file was updated on the 22nd, but I was already well into bootstrapping when I saw that.. I'm just hoping they didn't fix anything that can't be downloaded ;)

[much later]

System has been emerged, gentoo kernel is being compiled, and so far everything looks sweet. I'll post a comment when I've rebooted and used the system a bit, but it appears to be a lot less troublesome than I had anticipated :D

I used the relatively conservative :wink: "-march=athlon -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -falign-functions=4" CFLAGS setting (and even fewer options while bootstrapping).
wormie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flake wrote:
1090 MB is not enough for xfree compilation.
been freeing up some more stuff, fighting for every bit and bite. my base system is now down to 700 MB.

I had the same problem (also w/ 2 GB of space), and after unmerging everything I didn't especially care about along with everything that took up more space than I liked, still had the same problem.
After going through three or four "emerge -e world"s that ran out of space after 4 or 5 hours, I decided just to back up /etc, /boot and /home (the last two I have on different partitions anyway), wipe the rest, and start over using 3.2 from the get-go.
I figured if I have to recompile everything anyway, I might as well just do it from scratch and eliminate the junk. So far no problems. The base system is working fine, as is X (Gnome is currently compiling, but I expect no problems). There may be some ugliness reconfiguring things and trying to remember what was installed, but that's still going to take less time than another aborted world emerge. If you can't get enough space freed, you might want to consider going this route.
Out of curiousity, does anyone know of any real advantage to not starting from scratch? Obviously configuration is made trickier and it may be difficult to remember what was installed, but otherwise is there a benefit to the system itself? Simply put, is upgrading actually preferable to reinstalling, or is it simply a matter of which is more convenient?
EPrime
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the gcc 3.2 system is concerned, it works nothing short of perfect here. Just thought I'd let you know.

Still can't emerge aide (PQclear not found in -lpq), but that was the case with the vanilla 1.2 installation as well..
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok for those who want to be guinea pigs and try out the stage1-x86-1.4. tarball :

if you are using a P4 (i don´t know about others....) ONLY USE

-march=i686 -O3 -.pipe

during the install

if you choose more aggressive settings(-fomit-frame-pointer -fpmath=sse -mmmx -msse -malign-double -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after loops) only two packages (python, perl)will fail to compile when you do the first

emerge system

yet I found that zlib, ncompress, tar and zip do not work correctly compiled with these aggressive settings...leaving you with a b0rked system. then when you do an
emerge kde
or
emerge gnome
or
emerge kde gnome
with those settings only kdebase fails to compile
BUT BE WARNED nothing (kde or gnome) will work even though they compiled without any apparent problems...gnomes scrollkeeper database fails to register much of anything meaning that gnome-session will not work right leaving you with a b0rked install(mandating an emerge -e gnome w/ the minimal optimizations) ...kde seg faults like crazy and will not come up....mandating n emerge -e kde w/ mininmal settings)

I am repeating myself here like crazy but I have fought w/ trying to install 1.4 for over a week now starting with gcc3.2pre and now gcc3.2...I have reinstalled at least 1 dozen times(luckily I have become a proffesional as regards backing up settings, important files and maintaining fresh portage-snapshots and a complete distfiles dir....only put your USE flags in make.conf LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALON, install everything you want and then if you must, recompile specifici key libraries and programs with the more aggressive settings, by the way 3.2 is much faster than 2.95.3(for example I get better ut fps running
nice -n 19 emerge -e kde gnome and ut at the same time ! than I ever did running ut alone under 2.95.3.....and no I CANNOT TELL ANY DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER IN SPEED DUE TO MORE AGGRESSIVE OPTIMIZATIONS USING GCC3.2... THE ONLY DIFFERNECE I HAVE NOTED IS THAT EVERYHTING WORKS WITH -march=i686 -O3 -pipe AND VIRTUALLY NOTHING WORKS RIGHT WITH THE MORE AGGRESSIVE SETTINGS......

I am only posting this to share my experiences with others.....compiled with minimal optimizations everything compiles fine AND WORKS!
dizzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone confirm IWBCMAN's findings? GCC 3.2 doesn't like the march=pentium4 flag? Nvermind the agressive flags like "-fomit-frame-pointer" .. and the likes. So a "march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe" won't work with GCC 3.2 is what I'm asking.
bogeyman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully not too much off topic ( :? ), but could this be it:

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/build/.1.4/x86/stage1-x86-1.4.tbz2
naug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago, I blew up my 1.2 install by trying to switch to gcc 3.2 (as per Spider's instructions)... Anyhow, I killed gcc and emerge stopped working too... So I decided I might as well try and muck up my system to the point where it works again! I downloaded the hidden 1.4 tar, and booted with my 1.2 cd. I got networking going, and then mounted my hard drive and chrooted and everything (see 1.2 install docs) and then untarred the 1.4 tarball OVER TOP of my install (of course backing up some etc stuff) Anyway, I used -march=pentium4 -03 -pipe for my CFLAGS and boot strapped. Bootstrapping was successful. Then I emerge -e world and started on the LONG process of recompiling everything. It failed on kde-addons, so I changed my flags to -march=i686 -03- pipe and then just emerged kde seperately... As far as I can tell, everything is working perfectly! I just need to compile a few more things that didn't get done when kde bombed during the emerge -e world. Hopefully others will have just as much success!
zagarna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
Quote:

[gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.2 to 1.4 update, HowTo do it and not break everything

Spider spider@gentoo.org
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:48:14 +0000

Previous message: [gentoo-dev] GLSA: netscape-flash
Next message: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.2 to 1.4 update, HowTo do it and not break everything

<snip>

Now, We remove all traces of gcc, *shudder*
emerge -C gcc
and install the binary again:
emerge --usepkg gcc

All heil spider!!!!! thank you very much muh man. I hope this can help other people see the light of GCC with out killing something...

I wonder how spider does that, maybe I'm stupid, but I can't get emerge to use the binary package of gcc it just made ( I've even tried explicitley stating /usr/portage/packages as the PKGDIR to use )

emerge fails with : gcc: command not found because it tries to rebuild it from source instead of using the binary package.
maybe If I use ebuild...
EPrime
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me, lost the gcc and was kind-of forced to :wink: reinstall from scratch with the stage1-1.4 image. I did post a warning about this in this thread too, so you've at least had a warning :lol:
tebers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run into the same.
but I helped me out . I took a look in the binutils package that I build up-.
It conatins all binaries. I think ther must be something with the emerge that does not work with --usepkg.
so just go up into the / and untar. .

hope this helps out :-)
Its a nice feature --buildpkg :-)

zagarna wrote:
puddpunk wrote:
Quote:

[gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.2 to 1.4 update, HowTo do it and not break everything

Spider spider@gentoo.org
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:48:14 +0000

Previous message: [gentoo-dev] GLSA: netscape-flash
Next message: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.2 to 1.4 update, HowTo do it and not break everything

<snip>

Now, We remove all traces of gcc, *shudder*
emerge -C gcc
and install the binary again:
emerge --usepkg gcc

All heil spider!!!!! thank you very much muh man. I hope this can help other people see the light of GCC with out killing something...

I wonder how spider does that, maybe I'm stupid, but I can't get emerge to use the binary package of gcc it just made ( I've even tried explicitley stating /usr/portage/packages as the PKGDIR to use )

emerge fails with : gcc: command not found because it tries to rebuild it from source instead of using the binary package.
maybe If I use ebuild...
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogeyman wrote:
Hopefully not too much off topic ( :? ), but could this be it:

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/build/.1.4/x86/stage1-x86-1.4.tbz2

Hmm, there's a sparc64-1.4 version, does this mean sparc64 also runs off of GCC 3.x as well, or does it still use egcs64? I believe the FreeBSD people got GCC 3.1 working on sparc64 for the 5.0-CURRENT tree under the sparc64 architecture, wasn't sure if this is finally moved over or not.

//---- Edit

Almost forgot, what's the difference between stage1-1.4, and stage1-1.4_beta? I just rebuilt a system off 1.4_beta (re-merging glibc-2.2.5-r6 due to atexit() bug in -r7), is the 1.4 merely going to contain the fixed glibc? Hopefully not another system rebuild, I'm only running on a P2-300, so it takes it's time (although I have a 83mhz-PODP...)

--Kumba
zagarna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tebers wrote:
I have run into the same.
but I helped me out . I took a look in the binutils package that I build up-.
It conatins all binaries. I think ther must be something with the emerge that does not work with --usepkg.
so just go up into the / and untar. .

cervellone / # tar -tjvf /usr/portage/packages/All/gcc-3.2.tbz2
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 etc/
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 etc/env.d/
-rw-r--r-- root/root 46 2002-08-26 01:00:53 etc/env.d/05gcc
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 lib/
lrwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 lib/cpp -> /usr/bin/cpp
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:47 usr/
<snip>
-rwxr-xr-x root/root 77652 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/bin/cpp
-rwxr-xr-x root/root 76404 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/bin/gcc

bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored
-rwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc link to usr/bin/gcc
lrwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/bin/cc -> gcc
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:45 usr/include/
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/share/

it's that "bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored" that worries me, might be some instructions for emerge to parse (for special permissions or stuff like that).
did it work for you ?
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tebers wrote:
maybe If I use ebuild...

Code:
--usepkg (-k short option)
              tell emerge to use binary packages (from $PKGDIR) if they are
              available, thus possibly avoiding some time-consuming compiles.
              This option is useful for CD installs; you can export
              PKGDIR=/mnt/cdrom/packages and then use this option to have
              emerge "pull" binary packages from the CD in order to satisfy
              dependencies.

So you shouldn't have any problem doing that...
zagarna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunatley emerge has a bug that breaks the -k option.
you can find info about it here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4508

a fix is proposed, but it does'nt work for me :(
Fortunatley I made a backup before playing around with emerge -C , restoring now.
I'll try the unpack-1.4-tarball-over-your-filesystem method next
tebers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zagarna wrote:

cervellone / # tar -tjvf /usr/portage/packages/All/gcc-3.2.tbz2
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 etc/
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 etc/env.d/
-rw-r--r-- root/root 46 2002-08-26 01:00:53 etc/env.d/05gcc
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 lib/
lrwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 lib/cpp -> /usr/bin/cpp
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:47 usr/
<snip>
-rwxr-xr-x root/root 77652 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/bin/cpp
-rwxr-xr-x root/root 76404 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/bin/gcc

bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored
-rwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc link to usr/bin/gcc
lrwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/bin/cc -> gcc
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:45 usr/include/
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2002-08-26 01:00:53 usr/share/

it's that "bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored" that worries me, might be some instructions for emerge to parse (for special permissions or stuff like that).
did it work for you ?

yes i had this in all tarballs. but it did not disturb. all worked.
and besides that , after you have your minimal gcc3.2 you do a recompile after that anyway :-).
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I upgrade my system with teh beta tarball and install gcc 3.2, and then go ahead and install everything I need, what is the difference with the official 1.4 release?
There shouldn't be any, am I correct?
The release will just fix some ebuilds to make them work with 3.2, but I don't see what else...
zagarna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tebers wrote:

yes i had this in all tarballs. but it did not disturb. all worked.
and besides that , after you have your minimal gcc3.2 you do a recompile after that anyway :-).

didn't work for me, I was still missing the c++ compiler, maybe I did something else wrong...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: