View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
botdotcom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Kuroo 4... Reply with quote

Kuroo has been rewritten to be much simpler and easier to maintain. This source tree starts at svnroot/kuroo/kuroo4 (ignore trunk subdirectory), though I'm not exactly sure how to get it compiling and running. Package and history browsing is now supported...

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/kuroo/index.php?title=Main_Page

Last edited by botdotcom on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Unsupported Software as it's not in the Portage tree.
botdotcom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does 'the thing green' mean? on ksnapshot or others...
http://ompldr.org/vY3pmNw
botdotcom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

botdotcom wrote:
what does 'the thing green' mean?

dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That round green circle in there means it is in the world file.
botdotcom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx cuh!

but

dol-sen wrote:
means it is in the world file

what does it mean?

Last edited by botdotcom on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Kuroo 4... Reply with quote

botdotcom wrote:
Kuroo has been rewritten to be much simpler and easier to maintain. This source tree starts at svnroot/kuroo/kuroo4 (ignore trunk subdirectory), though I'm not exactly sure how to get it compiling and running. Package and history browsing is now supported...

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/kuroo/index.php?title=Main_Page

I've moved the kuroo rewrite to its own directory under svn (svnroot/kuroo_rewrite/trunk) so that it won't be confusing to people looking for the (mostly working) port. I've also updated the wiki page to reflect this change. I'd still recommend using the port since it actually allows emerging and I'm still spending a little time on it.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

botdotcom wrote:
Thx cuh!

but

dol-sen wrote:
means it is in the world file

what does it mean?

that means that you need to familiarize yourself more with Gentoo's internals ;)

/var/lib/portage/world

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
botdotcom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a tutorial, manual, step by step of kuroo?

Last edited by botdotcom on Thu May 24, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Documentation Reply with quote

botdotcom wrote:
there is a tutorial, manual, step by step?

Gentoo's documentation resources are very good, you should spend some time browsing around www.gentoo.org/docs/en. For you specific question about portage you can start with http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2 and http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3.
john-doe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm testing Kuroo and I can say it is so stable! why some people try to discredit this great software saying that could be buggy or so?
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: bugs Reply with quote

john-doe wrote:
I'm testing Kuroo and I can say it is so stable! why some people try to discredit this great software saying that could be buggy or so?

As the developer, I'm happy to hear you say that, but I have to be honest that it still needs a lot of work. I just recently fixed (I think) the last major crash bug, but there's still a lot of things that aren't nice. There's a list of bugs it the tracker and some in the trac instance. These are just the ones that I've copied from the old kuroo page or I've gotten around to logging myself, there's still lots of things that bother me but I haven't gotten around to writing up.

I'm planning on making a 0.90.1 ~ release soon since I've been testing the crash fix for a while and it seems to be ok, and if tampakrap and dol-sen help out that might even make it into portage.
MetalGod
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuroo now uses Qt4 instead of Kdelibs ? I hope so because i would like to run it on GNOME.
God Doesn't Play Dice
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: KDE vs. Qt Reply with quote

MetalGod wrote:
Kuroo now uses Qt4 instead of Kdelibs ? I hope so because i would like to run it on GNOME.

Kuroo still uses Kdelibs, there's a long-term goal to make it Qt-only, but I don't have a lot of time to spend on it. You can still use it on Gnome of course, it just means you have to have Kdelibs too.
MetalGod
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: KDE vs. Qt Reply with quote

galiven wrote:
MetalGod wrote:

Kuroo still uses Kdelibs, there's a long-term goal to make it Qt-only, but I don't have a lot of time to spend on it. You can still use it on Gnome of course, it just means you have to have Kdelibs too.

Fair enough afaik the only drawback of using only Qt it would be the Terminal Widget which you have to use the one from KDE.
God Doesn't Play Dice
john-doe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeat:

kuroo is more o equal in stability than porthole --> period --> next! so hard to understand?
john-doe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: bugs Reply with quote

galiven wrote:

I'm planning on making a 0.90.1 ~ release soon since I've been testing the crash fix for a while and it seems to be ok, and if tampakrap and dol-sen help out that might even make it into portage

that 'soon' could be years,months,days...what do U think?
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: bugs Reply with quote

john-doe wrote:
galiven wrote:

I'm planning on making a 0.90.1 ~ release soon since I've been testing the crash fix for a while and it seems to be ok, and if tampakrap and dol-sen help out that might even make it into portage

that 'soon' could be years,months,days...what do U think?

It's tough to say. I've just been informed that the cache that kuroo is currently using is going away from the rsync servers, so it turns out now would be a bad time to make a release. I have code to read the new cache, but while putting that in I've regressed on the queue order bug. Now I have that to fix along with a bit more testing of the new-cache code before I'm comfortable making a release.

That said, it does work, just not as nicely as I'd like to make a release, and I'd really appreciate feedback on the current live version which you can install by adding the overlay (layman -a gentoo-guis) and then unmasking the live ebuild (echo 'app-portage/kuroo4 ** >> /etc/portage/package.unmask) and emerging it (emerge -atv kuroo4). These instructions are also on the kuroo4 sourceforge page along with a bug tracker to file any issues you find (and feel free to attach patches) at http://kuroo.sourceforge.net
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: kuroo4-0.90.2 Reply with quote

Thanks to tampakarp and johu, kuroo4-0.90.2 is now in the main portage tree. I've updated the installation instructions on the kuroo wiki. This contains the md5-cache fix and finally fixes the queue item ordering.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^That's good news. I liked Kuroo's UI when I used it in KDE 3, so I'm going to install it and try it after a gap of several years. Thanks.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Spent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get Kuroo4-0.90.2 to start.

When I try to start I get this error

Code:
Application: Kuroo (kuroo), signal: Segmentation fault
Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
[KCrash Handler]
#6  0x00007f38e9f5488e in QStatusBar::showMessage(QString const&, int) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4
#7  0x00000000004c8087 in _start ()
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:

Code:
[KCrash Handler]
#6  0x00007f38e9f5488e in QStatusBar::showMessage(QString const&, int) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

Without better debug info its difficult to guess what's going on. If you start in the console how far does it get before the crash? Also, if you build with debug symbols it could give me a line number in Kuroo code where the problem is and I might be able to figure out if there's a bad localization string or something.
Spent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galiven wrote:
Spent wrote:

Code:
[KCrash Handler]

Without better debug info its difficult to guess what's going on. If you start in the console how far does it get before the crash? Also, if you build with debug symbols it could give me a line number in Kuroo code where the problem is and I might be able to figure out if there's a bad localization string or something.

When run in the console this is as far as it goes:

Code:
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kuroo(2510): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

kuroo(2509): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

Seems to be complaining about my system. I have dbus started, but it can't connect.

You might have to walk me through anything else you might need. I just recently reinstalled Gentoo after being away from it, and linux in general for almost 3 years. I'm still trying to remember how to do everything.
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:
galiven wrote:
Spent wrote:

Code:
[KCrash Handler]

When run in the console this is as far as it goes:

Code:
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kuroo(2510): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

kuroo(2509): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

Seems to be complaining about my system. I have dbus started, but it can't connect.

You might have to walk me through anything else you might need. I just recently reinstalled Gentoo after being away from it, and linux in general for almost 3 years. I'm still trying to remember how to do everything.

You're trying to launch Kuroo from a su console directly. Because Kuroo is an X application you have to launch it with kdesu, or kdesudo, or something similar. Kuroo actually depends on kdesu and installs a .desktop file so that there's a menu item in your K menu that invokes kdesu correctly. If that menu item doesn't work, run
Code:

kdesu -t -- kuroo --nofork 2>&1 | tee output

in the console as your regular user. That'll launch kuroo properly and pipe all the output to the console and also to a file in the local directory named 'output'. That way you'll get the actual debug output. One of my long-term goals is to integrate ConsoleKit into Kuroo so it'll just ask for permission when it needs it instead of having to be launched with kdesu.
Spent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the output from the command you suggested.

Code:
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/process.cpp : 293 ]  Running "/bin/su"
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/process.cpp : 293 ]  Running "/bin/su"
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/process.cpp : 379 ]  Child pid 4174
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/process.cpp : 379 ]  Child pid 4179
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
kdesu(4167)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.9.3/work/kdelibs-4.9.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kuroo(4185)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
KCrash: Application 'kuroo' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/root/.kde4/socket-desktop/kdeinit4__0
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: