View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say thx for helping me. It's not comfortable to post something in a php forum via a text-browser, so it took a while.

I'm still having some problems with aspell and some kde apps, which are discussed in this board, but not solved already. I think for a first test installation it's o.k..

I have one point to mention: There should be information in the online Gentoo installatation help about the permission denied/cfg-files problem and the solution export SANDBOX_DISABLED="1". Maybe with an url to more information about the sandbox functionality. It's disappointing to let the machine unattended emerge package after package without knowing which config files are missing. By now I don't have any qt or kde config file in my home directory... :(

Carlo
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I have one point to mention: There should be information in the online Gentoo installatation help about the permission denied/cfg-files problem and the solution export SANDBOX_DISABLED="1".

While I can certainly understand the situation, and sympathize with the frustration (and delta407 didn't agree with me the last time I brought this up, so...), I don't think we should encourage people to disable the sandbox. It's what makes sure that Portage doesn't get misinformation about what's on your system.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't missunderstand me. The idea of a portage and a sandbox around it is great. But what does it help, if one again and again gets stuck instead of getting a usable system. More information about this would be useful. Exists a testing framework to ensure that created ebuilds are proper ones?

Carlo
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
But what does it help, if one again and again gets stuck instead of getting a usable system.

My opinion is that, rather than disabling the sandbox, one's first instinct should be to try to fix the ebuild. If the software uses autoconf, the sandbox problem might be a very subtle one that is hard to fix. If the software does not use autoconf, in my experience it is often simply the case that parts of the Makefile does not respect the instructions to install into a staging directory, and patching the Makefile in the ebuild will fix the problem permanently, and if you can file a bug report about it, then everybody will benefit from your work.

But this is getting off-topic, so I hope you don't mind if I split off the last few posts here and take it to Gentoo Chat.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion began in this thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: