Americas Army - can i play over internet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kieliszek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Americas Army - can i play over internet Reply with quote

Hello,

After couple of years i came back to linux. Last time I was playing Americas Army 2.7.5 on linux on official servers. I know I cannot play AA 3 on linux.
But can I download AA 2.7.5 and play it over Internet on official servers or list servers through non official global server?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Teegrins ! !! ! Reply with quote

From a quick look-see over at the WineHQ, any servers involving punkbuster will probably not work (or well, they do work but communications with buster is busted and that will kick the user out from the server from the looks of it).

This from comments on AA3 via Steam, and the seemingly last release in the 2.x.x series, 2.8.5.
As for the Linux client, as long as there are servers, I don't see why not.
The official site didn't seem to get me to the right place for downloading AA2 (it seems to just 'deploy' more AA3 stuff when I tried).

Filefront still does seem to host them downloads, but I don't have the time to actually try it out.

Also, one quick search yielded me with this here:
    2.5 is the last client side that was released for both Linux and Apple.
    The linux 2.8.5 version is server only (aka dedicated server).
Wine is of course not the only way to go about it, but it might be the best.

As a conclusion of sorts: if using Wine, as long as the server does not use punkbuster, I guess it should work.
No idea how many servers like that you might find as I have never even played the game, but to you, I would say it's worth a try at least I guess.

For the native Linux client, I guess if there are servers, it shouldn't be an issue?

Just some thoughts~
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: