View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Unable to execute Fluxbox [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello everyone, this is my first post in the forum.

I just purchased an Asus Eee 1005PXD netbook and I'm currently installing Gentoo on it, focusing in minimalism, since it's a very low-end machine. I followed the Gentoo handbook for x86, configuring the kernel manually and installing a minimal system with no users but root. After that I proceeded to install X and Fluxbox. I emerged xorg-server and slim, then I configured both following the X Server configuration HOWTO in the handbook and the SLiM article in the wiki. Everything went fine but then I emerged Fluxbox (following the Fluxbox configuration HOWTO in the handbook) and for some reason I'm unable to run it. After I log in, I face a X session with a black background and the default "X" mouse cursor.

Seems that fluxbox is not working or it's not well configured, since if I switch to tty2 and I do a "killall fluxbox", no processes are found. I spent like 90 minutes googling and messing with xinitrc, slim.conf and 90xsession but I'm unable to make it work so my last chance are the forums.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Last edited by Cogumelo on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings! first of all, SLIM is unmaintained. You might want to switch to lxdm or xdm. Its up to you of course. just FYI.
So for testing X. from the command line, what does this do?
Code:
X -retro

If you get a screen that is rather blank with a moving mouse, then good. We can move on.

Try
Code:
startfluxbox

I suspect that slim is not starting fluxbox and everything is fine or X is not working correctly.
If you want to boot up without starting slim, you can use the "e" to edit the kernel parameters in grub and add nox. This will go away after one boot and will prevent slim from starting.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for your reply.
Code:
X -retro

This gives a white background with a moving cursor.
Code:
startfluxbox

This gives:
Code:

/root/.fluxbox/startup: line 8: xmodmap: command not found
Error: Couldn't connect to XServer
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. That last bit is the problem. I am just guessing, but I think that is related to your input drivers. Do you have the following in your /etc/make.conf? If not add them and run emerge -auvND world
Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
If that does not work, try emerge -pv xorg-server and then use "emerge -1 <foo>" for all the new packages.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard synaptics mouse evdev"

Should I remove synaptics and do the emerge?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It is something else. "synaptics" should be your touch pad.

Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will try with emerge -pv xorg-server and emerge -1 for the packages.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be any new ones. Hmm... what type of video driver are you using? lets see your "emerge --info"

The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait..... Ok that says "/root/."
Does the same thing happen for a normal user? generally speaking (OK universally) its a bad idea run X as root.

Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know, but I need to run X sessions as root for a particular purpose. Do you think that's the problem?

Anyway, the output for emerge --info is the following
Code:

Portage 2.1.10.44 (default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop, gcc-4.5.3, glibc-2.13-r4, 3.1.10-gentoo-r1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.1.10-gentoo-r1-i686-Intel-R-_Atom-TM-_CPU_N455_@_1.66GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.3
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:45:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:          4.1_p9
dev-lang/python:          2.7.2-r3, 3.1.4-r3
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.6-r4
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.26
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.0.3
sys-apps/openrc:          0.9.8.4
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.5
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.68
sys-devel/automake:       1.9.6-r3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:       2.21.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.5.3-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.4.1-r1
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.1 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.13-r4
Repositories: gentoo
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=atom -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=atom -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo-euetib.upc.es/mirror/gentoo/"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gdu gif gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds pppd qt3support qt4 readline sdl session spell ssl startup-notification svg sysfs tcpd tiff truetype udev unicode usb vorbis x264 x86 xcb xml xorg xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I know what happened. Your emerge --info states
Quote:
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
You should check, but I think you misspelled INPUT_DEVICES in your make.conf.

You may get X to work as root. It would be better from a security point of view if you used something else to run root access programs from X, but its your box.

Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ops, true. But when I checked it was setted with "keyboard synaptics mouse evdev". I think I accidentally saved it just with "evdev" when I checked for INPUT_DEVICES after the 4th post, but I didn't emerged world so I think that can't be the problem. I will try to create a regular user account and run Fluxbox to discard that.
Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I created the account and startfluxbox throws the same output:
Code:

/cogumelo/.fluxbox/startup: line 8: xmodmap: command not found

If it's not for execute X as root and it's not an incorrect configuration of make.conf, what to do? I'm a bit frustrated at this moment. More help will be really really really appreciated.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your frustration. It took me about a day to get X working on my current box. I am afraid that I don't really understand your what your error means and that I don't know a solution. It would be worth double checking to make sure that INPUT_DEVICES is spelled correctly and googling the error to see if you can find a solution. Also double checking the fluxbox docs might reveal what you missed. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:
I can understand your frustration. It took me about a day to get X working on my current box. I am afraid that I don't really understand your what your error means and that I don't know a solution. It would be worth double checking to make sure that INPUT_DEVICES is spelled correctly and googling the error to see if you can find a solution. Also double checking the fluxbox docs might reveal what you missed. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thank you very much for your help and efforts. I'm going to sleep now, it's late here in Spain. I will fight more tomorrow. Thank you really.
Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did
Code:
emerge x11-apps/xmodmap

And that fixed the "command not found" issue, but when I try:
Code:
DISPLAY=:0 startfluxbox

In tty2 now I get this:
Code:
No protocol specified
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':0'
No protocol specified

Any ideas?
Cogumelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks to a person in the IRC channel who gave me the link to http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/xsession wiki article, I managed to successfully run fluxbox as root, emerging xmodmap as in my previous post and doing the following:
Code:
emerge x11-apps/xdm

Then switching to DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" in /etc/conf.d/xdm and then:
Code:
emerge x11-apps/xsm
ln -s ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession

Thanks n0idx80!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: