Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xerox printer problem: cups fails to find filter (OSX-ism?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: xerox printer problem: cups fails to find filter (OSX-ism?) Reply with quote

I (provide a .ppd)-installed/configured a Xerox Workstation 5230 using CUPS.
It is correctly detected.

Printing fails; /var/log/cups/error.log output:

Code:

Unable to execute /Library/Printers/Xerox/filter/XeroxPSFilter: No such file or directory

The /Library/... path seems like some Mac OSX-ism.
The file is not in the xerox-drivers ebuild (I did a version bump on bugzilla) and neither in the driver tarballs downloadable from the xerox website.

What should I do to solve this?

TIA,

Erik
Ibn al-Hazardous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: xerox printer problem: cups fails to find filter (OSX-is Reply with quote

equaeghe wrote:
I (provide a .ppd)-installed/configured a Xerox Workstation 5230 using CUPS.
It is correctly detected.

Printing fails; /var/log/cups/error.log output:

Code:

Unable to execute /Library/Printers/Xerox/filter/XeroxPSFilter: No such file or directory

The /Library/... path seems like some Mac OSX-ism.
The file is not in the xerox-drivers ebuild (I did a version bump on bugzilla) and neither in the driver tarballs downloadable from the xerox website.

What should I do to solve this?

I too am trying to install a Xerox Workstation driver, but not having any luck. Did you manage to solve this problem?
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: xerox printer problem: cups fails to find filter (OSX-is Reply with quote

Ibn al-Hazardous wrote:
I too am trying to install a Xerox Workstation driver, but not having any luck. Did you manage to solve this problem?

No.

The bug report I referred to is number 381073

Perhaps you can comment there, saying that you are also bitten by this problem, and refer back to this forum post.
Sometimes devs prioritize based on the number of people affected.
Ibn al-Hazardous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: xerox printer problem: cups fails to find filter (OSX-is Reply with quote

equaeghe wrote:
Ibn al-Hazardous wrote:

No.

The bug report I referred to is number 381073

Perhaps you can comment there, saying that you are also bitten by this problem, and refer back to this forum post.
Sometimes devs prioritize based on the number of people affected.

The other day, we had a guy from Xerox over installing postscript on the printer. I haven't tried it since, but I allow my self to hope that this will solve the issue for me. Maybe you need a fix like that too? (They said it was needed for Macs as well.)
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: xerox printer problem: cups fails to find filter (OSX-is Reply with quote

Ibn al-Hazardous wrote:

The other day, we had a guy from Xerox over installing postscript on the printer. I haven't tried it since, but I allow my self to hope that this will solve the issue for me. Maybe you need a fix like that too? (They said it was needed for Macs as well.)

The Mac's at our office can use all the printer's functions. As both Gentoo and Mac OS X use CUPS, I should be able to as well, but, I can't... (I think because of the OS X'isms and lacking library files in the also outdated Gentoo install.)
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: xerox printer problem: cups fails to find filter (OSX-is Reply with quote

Ibn al-Hazardous wrote:

Have a look at 381073 for a workaround that seems to work for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: