View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: D-link DWA-130 wireless usb needs a driver Reply with quote

I've all most got everything working. It's just my sound and my wireless to go. I've been all over the Internet looking for the driver I need for my usb wireless device. I haven't found much. So as a last resort I come here to ask for some help.

lsusb gives me this info on it:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 07d1:3300 D-Link System DWA-130 802.11n Wireless N Adapter(rev.E) [Realtek RTL8192SU]

Please give me any thoughts that may help. Thank you!
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The r8712u driver supports this thing. It's in the Staging section of the kernel.
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built it as a module and loaded it. Nothing. It doesn't work with it.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Well, let me consult my crystal ball about what to do next. Beware though, that pesky thing is kinda flaky.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you didn't get it, the above post is a colorful way of saying you haven't provided nearly enough info to receive any help. "It doesn't work" tells us nothing about what might be wrong.
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry. I don't know what else to include. What else should I? The LED doesn't light up, and the lsusb command does display it. So I figured the driver doesn't work. I gave you the info that lsusb gives, and I don't know what else I can give. So if you have an idea of what else you need, tell me and I will post.
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh! I just tried the r8192u_usb module and still nothing.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always, *always* the same procedure. Doing a search (if the forum search function sucks too much, use google) would've given you the basic steps.

Install wgetpaste, try to connect to wireless, then run these and post the links:
Code:
dmesg | wgetpaste
zcat /proc/config.gz | wgetpaste

Also, how exactly are you connecting, and what's the output of those commands?
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For r8712u info, look at these. It does work, but it's a PITA right now.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6945178-highlight-.html#6945178

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6949554-highlight-.html#6949554

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27996

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6912478-highlight-.html#6912478

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6943494-highlight-.html#6943494
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not nearly that complicated. I think it should work by simply not activating AP mode in the kernel config. If that doesn't work, these two patches should do it:
http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-February/024367.html
http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-February/024371.html
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar,
I had contacted Larry Finger about 2 weeks ago, and he came up with 2 patches he posted at the Arch bugzilla link I posted above (r8712u_async_fw and rtl8712_fix_ap_mode), which worked in that I could get connections, but the connection link quality and signal levels always dropped over 50% on all 3.2.x and 3.3.x kernels. He also sent them upstream to the kernel people- I assume to include in mainline.

Also, the connections suffered constant random drop-outs on Gentoo and several distros, with 2 different strong AP's. Basically, it didn't solve my problems, either with wicd or NetworkManager. As I mentioned on the links I posted, using the 3.1.x kernel staging/rtl8712 directory in all 3.2 and 3.3 kernels (and I mean ALL 3.2's) solves all problems 100% with connection levels and drop-outs using wicd

The first patch you linked is the same as Larry's rtl8712_fix_ap_mode, but the 2nd patch is different from his r8712u_async_fw patch.

Is this new patch (the 2nd) now the one to use instead of the others, as it appears to refer to the rtl871x_sta_mgt.c source file included the first rtl8712_fix_ap_mode patch?

I'll be giving it a try in the next few days on several systems, both with wicd and NetworkMananger. Hope this is the final fix with wicd. I also tried wpa_supplicant, but could never get it to work at all. Apparently, wpa_supplicant has no (or incomplete) support yet for r8712u, unless I'm missing something in their compatible hardware list.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
Is this new patch (the 2nd) now the one to use instead of the others

Looks like it should be used in addition to the fix_ap patch. I didn't know there's further problems with the driver, and it doesn't seem to me like this patch will fix them. Trying doesn't hurt though. The async_fw patch is required for udev>=176, it just changes the way firmware gets loaded, but it doesn't affect functionality otherwise.

wrc1944 wrote:
Apparently, wpa_supplicant has no (or incomplete) support yet for r8712u, unless I'm missing something in their compatible hardware list.

wpa_supplicant doesn't directly access hardware (except in very few cases, mostly very old cards), it goes via wireless extensions (-Dwext) or netlink (-Dnl80211). r8712u is a wext driver. Also, network-manager is just a frontend, in the background it uses wpa_supplicant. So if pure wpa_supplicant doesn't work but nm does, it's a mistake on your part in configuring it.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar,
Thanks much for the clarifications. If I understand correctly, you're saying all 3 patches should be applied? In my case, I'm using the Rosewill RNX N180UBE Wireless N 300MBs Adapter, so it seems likely I need the r8712u_async_fw patch as it modifies usb_intf.c and refers to usb in other files.

I have been wondering about my attempts at wpa_supplicant configuration- I followed all the docs carefully, but never could get beyond r8712u was loaded, but wpa_supplicant "was not active." Wpa_gui wouldn't add a network, and couldn't get it working with editing wpa_supplicant.conf. Must be missing something somewhere. :roll:
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
If I understand correctly, you're saying all 3 patches should be applied?

The two AP related ones.

The async_fw patch, like I said, it's for udev>=176. If you're using an earlier udev you don't need it.

wrc1944 wrote:
I have been wondering about my attempts at wpa_supplicant configuration- I followed all the docs carefully, but never could get beyond r8712u was loaded, but wpa_supplicant "was not active." Wpa_gui wouldn't add a network, and couldn't get it working with editing wpa_supplicant.conf. Must be missing something somewhere. :roll:

Manual configuration is not that hard really, if you're using a typical WPA-PSK network:
Code:
echo 'ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel' > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa_passphrase your_ssid your_password >> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
dhcpcd wlan0
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't been on in a long time. I have been working on school, since it is midterm week. Anyway my installation of Gentoo decided that it wasn't going to compile anymore, so I have to reinstall. I have been using the live disc to do homework and such. I will have it installed soon and we can go from there.

@wrc1944 I read the links you posted and I am very interested to try to use the 3.1 driver build, but noobishly I do not know how to compile 3.2 with 3.1 stuff. Also, as far as firmware, am I supposed to do something with it, or leave it be?

Any more details I can give are the facts that my wireless stick works with live disc., perfectly. When I had Gentoo installed, I didn't get anything out of the usb device at all. It didn't light up, /sbin/ifconfig didn't show it. Thus I couldn't even try to connect via wireless, since according to the computer I have no wireless. Thus I couldn't tell you what would happen if I tried to connect. However lsusb shows my device there.

I will try to have Gentoo running again this week.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whobanil80,
If you want to use a 3.1.x kernel, the r8712u driver from staging will work, as a module, but don't enable the AP option for it in kernel config- it's known to be broken.

If you really need to use a 3.2.x kernel, so far the new linux-3.2.x/drivers/staging/rtl8712 directory isn't working too well.

However, if you replace that directory with the same exact one from a 3.1.x kernel, and then compile your kernel, it works well with wicd.

Just delete the 3.2 kernel source's rtl87812 directory and put one from 3.1.10 in its place. I's not a real fix, and the devs are working on it, but it has been a good work-around so far if you need to use 3.2 kernels with a usb wireless adapter needing the realtek r8712u driver.

The firmware should be placed in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi, if it isn't already there. Look in /lib/firmware, and if you see a rtl8712u.bin file, you should be fine. Nothing to do- if it's there the kernel should load it at boot up.

Hope this helps.
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. For testing, I just compiled gentoo-sources-3.1.10-r1 and its drivers. When I boot, It still fails to initialize wlan0. The stick is still not lighting up. Same as usual. However, this time during boot, it said something about the .conf file for the wpa_supplicant. A little investigation and I came to realize that I don't have a config file for it. So I wrote one and ran:

wpa_supplicant -Dr8712u -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Driver unsupported
:x
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, you have direct instructions on how to use wpa_supplicant a few posts up. Not searching the forums is one thing, but not reading the very thread in which you're asking for help?

Then, a few posts even further up, there's instructions for additional info you should provide in case you can't get a connection.
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gusar:

Okay I see what you are getting at about the wpa_supplicant. I'll try to run the command with -Dwext and I'll post what happens, and the info you want if it fails. Sorry I don't take a lot of time to read thing carefully, as I read over that before but paid no attention to it at the time. That is because at the time I was not concerned with wpa_supplicant. My bad. Mock me all you want, I'm a full time college student and don't have copious amounts of time to spend on hours of reading other forum posts. That is why I posted my own question.

Seriously though, I do appreciate both of you helping me. Thank you guys!
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I just did those thing and here you go:

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/555997/

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/555998/

Using the correct command this time:

# wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Could not set interface wlan0 flags: Operation not permitted
Failed to initialize driver interface

This WAS ran as root BTW so don't ask when looking at 'Operation not permitted' I'm not that stupid.

Quote:

It's not nearly that complicated. I think it should work by simply not activating AP mode in the kernel config. If that doesn't work, these two patches should do it:
http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-February/024367.html
http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-February/024371.html

Honestly, I don't know what to do with these. I did look at them.
Quote:

Also, how exactly are you connecting, and what's the output of those commands?

I told you the out put above and I haven't tried to connect yet because my wireless card isn't even "on". I can't get that far. It doesn't run on my installation of Gentoo at all. It does run on the live disc (lights up and is able to connect). lsusb does tell me it is plugged in.
I really don't know what else I can tell you beyond that.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
r8712u: Loading firmware from "rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin"
r8712u: Unable to load firmware
r8712u: Install latest linux-firmware
r8712u: Loading firmware from "rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin"
r8712u: Unable to load firmware
r8712u: Install latest linux-firmware

You're missing firmware. Install the linux-firmware package.
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

# wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Could not set interface wlan0 flags: Operation not permitted
Failed to initialize driver interface

I wrote my .conf file. I think I'll post it any way so you can see. I followed an example I found (Yes I do a little research outside of my own post)

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel

network={
ssid="Spencer_Family"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="*******"
}

I do have my actual phrase where the ****** is. I don't think anything is wrong here, but just to tell you a little info:

I have a hidden SSID
It is WPA2-personal encrypted
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You're missing firmware. Install the linux-firmware package.

Ah. That would help. One moment
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:oops: Missing firmware...
Well that made much more progress! Wireless card is now active. However, 'dhcpcd wlan0' timed out. So I did not connect. My bet is the wpa_supplicant.conf file might not be correct. I will check my pass code. Thank you Gusar!
whobanil80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, everything is fine there. I'm going to do a bit of research to make sure I did this right.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: