[SOLVED] Problem updating to ibm-jdk-bin-1.6.0.9_p2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Problem updating to ibm-jdk-bin-1.6.0.9_p2 Reply with quote

Has anyone else had a problem updating from ibm-jdk-bin 1.6.0.9_p1 to 1.6.0.9_p2. Basically, the file you are supposed to be able to download from IBM does not seem to be there in the expected format. I filed bug 397537 with my problem, but don't see that anyone else has had a problem with it. Is everyone else using icedtea through an overlay for ppc java now? Or, anyone know where to find the file ibm-java-sdk-6.0-9.2-linux-ppc.tgz? All I could find was ibm-java-sdk-6.0-9.2-linux-ppc.bin. Taring and zipping that didn't result in a file the ebuild was happy with.

Thanks

Last edited by iMike on Tue May 08, 2012 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
BigBox37
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem updating to ibm-jdk-bin-1.6.0.9_p2 Reply with quote

iMike wrote:
Has anyone else had a problem updating from ibm-jdk-bin 1.6.0.9_p1 to 1.6.0.9_p2. Basically, the file you are supposed to be able to download from IBM does not seem to be there in the expected format. I filed bug 397537 with my problem, but don't see that anyone else has had a problem with it. Is everyone else using icedtea through an overlay for ppc java now? Or, anyone know where to find the file ibm-java-sdk-6.0-9.2-linux-ppc.tgz? All I could find was ibm-java-sdk-6.0-9.2-linux-ppc.bin. Taring and zipping that didn't result in a file the ebuild was happy with.

Thanks

Have you considered a swith to oracle's 1.7 jdk? Very simple to download via http from Oracle's site and now works with libreoffice-3.5 and firefox etc ...

jdk-7u2-linux-x64.tar.gz from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u2-download-1377129.html

Code:
bigbox37@meme ~ # emerge -pv oracle-jdk-bin

>>> Fetching (1 of 1) dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin-1.7.0.2

* Fetch failed for 'dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin-1.7.0.2'
 * Please download jdk-7u2-linux-x64.tar.gz from:
 * http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u2-download-1377129.html
 * and move it to /usr/portage/distfiles
blob999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdk from Oracle does not support ppc/ppc64
blob999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem updating to ibm-jdk-bin-1.6.0.9_p2 Reply with quote

iMike wrote:

Thanks

Code:
sh ibm-java-sdk-6.0-9.2-linux-ppc.bin -i silent

iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blob999,

Thanks, blob999. Yes, I saw that the .bin file was one of IBM's "InstallAnywhere" files. It seems this is the format they are now using for their Java instead of the usual .tgz files. Too bad, because I'm looking for Java you can configure and install "the Gentoo way." According to IBM,http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/javasdk/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.java.doc.user.aix32.60%2Finstalling.html, the "InstallAnywhere" format is for those who don't care about configuring anything. (Perhaps they should have called it "ConfigureNowhere" :-) Anyway, I'll pass on running an installer that just installs willy-nilly without regard to dependencies or package management. I'd put icetea on, like I have on other archs but I guess it's not ready for prime time on ppc32? At least I get circular deps when I do a emerge -1va =icedtea-6.1.11.1.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess bug 308513 tells how to test icedtea, so I could try that. :-)
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did end up installing icedtea instead of ibm java and it's working fine for my purposes. I guess I will mark the subject line to this thread SOLVED since it's solved as far as my Java uses. I would really rather have non-proprietary code anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: