Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PCMCIA nic: getting it working with pcmcia-cs (for n00bs!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyfulcrum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oobnuker wrote:
OK - I seem to be in much better shape than most people who post in this thread. Everything seems to be working for me BUT I have to do:

ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

to get everything working once the system boots.

Same here -ever figure out what causes this?

I have a xircomRBEM56G-100 card and on boot I get errors like:
eth0 is not plugged in or has carrier signal

even though the card is happily flashing away...

I also have errors before the one above:

pcilib:Cannot open /proc/bus/pci/04/00.1 and 00.0 repeated few dozen times

thanks
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all your orinoco puppies, the latest love sources (for the 2.6-test series) has some orinoco patches.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Haro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Just wondering if anyone have any success getting DWL-650 RevP or WPC11 Ver.4 working in gentoo? I'm having a hard time figuring what driver set to use (pcmcia-cs, wlan-ng, hostap, wtf!?) for either of them.
parity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Thank you soo much Reply with quote

Hey...

just wanted to say thank you... this was exactly what i needed!
A short guide on how to set this up...

Got it working like a charm in no time....

so
THANK YOU!

- parity
Zzoot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: OMFG!!! Reply with quote

Okay!!! I was ripping my hair out there for a while...

I finally found the keystone that let my wpc11 v3 card load correctly...(Damn second low beep...)

In the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file there are some lines near the top that say "Don't use these irq's cause they're normally used for other more important things like a serial or parallel port" (Okay- I'm paraphrasing there...but that's about what it says...)

I commented out those lines, restarted pcmcia, and VOOM! 2 Good high beeps! WOO-HOO!

Anyway, thatks for everyone's 2 cents...Criminy...I know all this stuff so well now I can probably even go back and get the linux-wlan-ng stuff running for wep support...
jmf10024
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: PLEASE HELP Reply with quote

First of all, GREAT TUTORIAL. I have some experience writing documentation for non-computer people, and even though this is directed at a step above non-computer people, which are n00bs, this is very well done.

Now, my problem.

Latest dmesg is posted here http://jpad.homelinux.com/dmesg.log

I have an IBM Thinkpad 390 with pcmcia nic 3COM 3CCFE575BT.

After i originally rebooted after my first kernal install, it never booted. It hung at Init level 3 when trying to bring up the usb and pci devices. I am grateful that I have a removable card, because when i remove it I can boot so that I can make any necessary changes.

I have booted without the card and then reinserted the card. It beeps a bit and sometimes i have a few seconds before it hangs. In those few seconds I modprobed it once and ifconfiged it once and i saw my eth0. But after that it hung.

If I:
Code:
rc-update del pcmcia boot

It will boot with my pcmcia card in the slot, but obviously no support.

I then tried to manually start the pcmcia with
Code:
/etc/init.d/pcmcia
and soon after it hung.

PLEASE HELP ME.

I have had a problem with this card in the past. It took someone who knows a lot more than I do a day to get it working when i tried mandrake 9 a year ago.
He had me using the 3c59x driver (which when i looked at the list for pcmcia-cs) lists that as a kernel driver? and pcmcia-cs picks up my card as 3c575_cb

Currently my bios Irqs are set for 4 pci devices all at irq 11 as per my bios defaults.

I am willing to change anything and everything. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Justin
Zzoot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya jmf10024! (Say, How do you pronounce that?)

Anyway, this sounds real similar to a problem I've seen expressed and experienced here on the forums... It's that dang config.opts file again...Here...I'll just quote the original message...
Quote:

I have a similar setup as well, try editing /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

in the line
include port 0x100-0x4ff.....
delete the range: 0x800-0x8ff

That fixed it right up for me...Give it a shot and let us know if it worked...
jmf10024
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hey, Zzoot.

jmf are my initials and 10024 is a randomish number.

anywho,
I read your post before i posted mine. And i tried that. No luck.

I have tried a bunch of stuff. i tried booting with acpi=off
and many other things. I tried changing my irqs in bios and disabling sound and such. No luck. In some cases it would boot for me and it would show up in ifconfig. but no connectivity. Before when i installed mandrake 9 a year ago there were problems with the device driver in linux. I don't know if they fixed it yet. I had to manually install some other driver.

I have given up for now, and have installed FreeBSD 5.1 which is making my nic work :D . However, i would still like to try Gentoo, because my friends who raved about FreeBSD and got me hooked on it, now rave about Gentoo.

Better ports, better updating source, etc.

So if anyone has any other input I would be glad to try it, though it may not be for a few weeks, cause I want to use my laptop (which is very low end nowadays) to use as a small fileserver at a lan party.

Thanks for all your help

Justin

P.S. I love FreeBSD, but if i can get my nic to work i would love to try out GENTOO.
Zzoot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: DOH! Reply with quote

Hiya JmF10024...

I'm not sure whether or not I hope this is right or not...but I just went through that dmesg you posted under a link...

It looks like you've got pcmcia services enabled IN the kernel...

Code:
Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.4
  kernel build: 2.4.20-gentoo-r6 #2 Fri Dec 12 21:15:03 EST 2003
  options:  [pci] [cardbus] [apm]

If that's the case...ummm...Get rid of it. The whole point of the tutorial (though I haven't read it recently...) was to use the non-kernel pcmcia drivers, which will automatically build what you need...

Use pcmcia-cs. I'm guessing it will auto-magically come right up... Good luck when you decide to give Gentoo another try...
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: DOH! Reply with quote

Zzoot wrote:
If that's the case...ummm...Get rid of it. The whole point of the tutorial (though I haven't read it recently...) was to use the non-kernel pcmcia drivers, which will automatically build what you need...

Use pcmcia-cs. I'm guessing it will auto-magically come right up... Good luck when you decide to give Gentoo another try...

100% correct.

R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. Thanks.
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, charlieg for the thread. I knew I was close to having my xircom realport NIC working, but I needed just one of the instructions you posted to have it work by default.

Love these forums!

Dave

P.S. I think this thread should be a sticky at the top of this forum.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
P.S. I think this thread should be a sticky at the top of this forum.

Really, I should take some time to convert it to the Gentoo Guide XML and have it as an official doc. I've been meaning to, but it's low on the priority list. I will do one day, I'm sure, when it's really out of date and irrelevant.

:roll:

dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
... I'm sure, when it's really out of date and irrelevant.

:roll:

Hehe, isn't it always so. It would be great to have an official PCMCIA howto on the gentoo site. I think the install docs are really good...they basically got me with a successful install ...and even the PCMCIA stuff was working, but it lacked in troubleshooting and/or helping me to figure out whether it worked or not...or how to make sure it was initializing properly.
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Please help!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I am reaching my patience with the Cisco 350 card on my laptop. I was able to make it recognized in pcmcia-cs 3.2.5 and it loads the appropiate airo_cs and airo drivers:
Code:

cs: memory probe 0x80000000-0x80ffffff: excluding 0x80000000-0x800fffff
airo:  Probing for PCI adapters
bus pci: add driver airo
airo:  Finished probing for PCI adapters
bus pcmcia: add driver airo_cs
airo_cs: GetNextTuple: No more items

By placing this in my /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:
Code:

include port 0x1000-0x10ff
include port 0x1400-0x14ff
include memory 0x80000000-0x80ffffff

cardctl status and cardctl ident show:
Code:

# cardctl status
Socket 0:
  5V 16-bit PC Card
  function 0: [ready], [bat low]
# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  product info: "Cisco Systems", "350 Series Wireless LAN Adapter"
  manfid: 0x015f, 0x000a
  function: 6 (network)

iiwconfig doesn't show any extensions to my interface and I can't load it to wlan0

Code:

#iwconfig
eth0          no wireless extensions
lo              no wireless extensions

I have set it up the net.wlan0 iface_wlan0="dhcp" in /etc/conf.d/net and made a copy of /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to /etc/init.d/net.wlan0. We'll here is what i get when I try to load the interface:
Code:

* Bringing wlan0 up...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
wlan0: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
wlan0: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
 * Failed to bring wlan0 up     

Lastly my lsmod:
Code:

Module                  Size  Used by
airo_cs                 9156  0
airo                   74192  1 airo_cs
snd_pcm_oss            68836  0
snd_pcm               121976  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         13924  1 snd_pcm
snd_timer              28228  1 snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          22208  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd                    66040  4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore              11652  1 snd
ds                     18628  3 airo_cs
yenta_socket           19008  1
pcmcia_core            86104  3 airo_cs,ds,yenta_socket

If I can get it working, I hope to write up a howto on how to get most of the components in the powerbook to be recognized. I've got everything is except this POS Cisco card.

Felipe
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: I got it working! Reply with quote

The solution is to use 3.2.7 pcmcia-cs instead of 3.2.5
gntu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: CardBus PcCard Reply with quote

This HOWTO was very helpful. I just want to add a few comments and document my own adventure along this road.

Originally I tried to avoid using the pcmcia-cs card services package and use instead the newer "hotplug" functionality in the 2.4 kernel. Hotplug overlaps with card services functionality insofar as being able to manage the pccard slots. Hotplug is a more universal protocol, however, that can also manage USB devices in 2.4, and is expected to play an even bigger role in 2.6 as the emerging sysfs infrastructure further develops.

Hotplug in 2.4 can be selectively enabled for PCI and/or USB busses. PCI hotplug support however is marked experimental. I tried enabling pci hotplugging and core PCMCIA/CardBus support, both in the kernel and then as modules (pcmcia_core.o, yenta_socket.o, and ds.o), and in the first instance, the machine booted and networking configured itself, but networking did not survive a sleep/wake cycle. In fact, I could not restart networking at all after a sleep/wake cycle. In the second instance, for some reason hotplug did not load the ds.o module. I had to load it through /etc/modules.autoload.d (which should be unnecessary for hotpluggable devices), after which networking configured itself. Again, networking did not survive a sleep/wake cycle; un/loading the associated modules did not help.

So I eventually gave up on hotplug and disabled it completely per the instructions at the beginning of this thread. The only other obstacle I encountered was a need to disable "systrace" under General Settings in the kernel config. Until I disabled systrace, binding tulip_cb to socket 1 operation was "not permitted".

I was initially dissuaded from trying pcmcia-cs by the perceived nuisance of installing a separate kernel-related package and by reading Hinds' own README on the status of this project. My reading of this left me with the impression that CardBus cards that use standard pci card client drivers (e.g. the DecTulip driver tulip.o under ISA/EISA/PCI for Ethernet10/100 is the hotplug-compatible driver for a Netgear FA511) are ignored by the user-level tools in pcmcia-cs. This is indeed true *when* PCI hotplug support is enabled in the kernel and the card is using the hotplug-compatible client driver. By disabling hotplug support and letting pcmcia-cs compile its own client driver (tulip_cb.o in the case of the Netgear FA511), I now have a configuration of the cardbus socket that pcmcia-cs user level tools can manage.

And yes, networking can be restarted after a sleep/wake cycle!
Cqwense
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Couple of Questions Reply with quote

First off, while i'm still having problems, this HOWTO was very well put together, and as there are lots more "Thx for getting my wireless to work" posts than non's, im guessing the problem is somewhere on my end.

First off, an explination of what has heppend so far. I currently have a windows desktop running a usb wireless to troll boards and DL files, my gentoo box is being setup to be a gateway/firewall for the rest of the network. So currently it is not online ( untill i can at least get the wireless working ) Therefore i didnt emerge pcmcia-cs, i used the windows box, downloaded the package , and manually install it. ( ps, I wanted to put the downloaded file in some default emerge install directory, fooling it into emerging the package without actually downloading it via emerge , any help on this would be appriciated ). From there i compiled my kernel to match the howto's, configured and installed pcmcia-cs, and then spent five hours trying to make it work :)

Kernel version is 2.4, wireless card is a D-link DWL-250 (

Here are my problems ( in no particular order ), as a newb i cant really tell how many are directly related to the others.

1)
when I:

Code:
 rc-update add pcmcia boot

upon rebooting i get the error

"Unable to determine dependencies for pcmcia!"

as well as an error about pcmcia not having any "start" options, the msg tells me to run /sbin/depscan.sh, which i have done, with no resolution apparant. I CAN however use

Code:
 /etc/init.d/pcmcia start

and i get a nice little messege about how cardmgr is now monitoring.

2) In both instances of adding it to the default run level, and attempting to start from prompt, eth1 gives me this error

* Bringing eth1 up...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
* Failed to bring eth1 up !!

My lsmod:
Code:
Cqwense-Serv pcmcia-cs-3.2.7 # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
uhci                   26032   0  (unused)
3c59x                  27984   1
ds                      7560   1
i82365                 42144   1
pcmcia_core            44480   0  [ds i82365]

I have eth1 defined in /etc/conf.d/net, as well as copied /etc/init.d/eth0 to eth1, basicly, i've followed all the direction in the original post ( as well as appending *boot* for *default* in the rc-update of pcmcia.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the pcmcia-cs website to see if your card is supported? Sadly, I couldn't see it.

mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed PCMCIA-CS 3.2.7
I also just removed PCMCIA from the 2.6.3 kernel:
Code:
Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) -> Support for hot-pluggable devices -> < > PCMCIA/CardBus support

/etc/init.d/pcmcia start
Code:
 * 'modprobe i82365' failed
 * Trying alternative PCIC driver: yenta_socket
 * Starting pcmcia...
cardmgr[4590]: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices
 * cardmgr failed to start.  Make sure that you have PCMCIA
 * modules built or support compiled into the kernel                      [ !! ]

Checking the kernel config again, was I supposed to remove the following instead?
[code]Device Drivers -> Networking support -> Network device support -> [ ] PCMCIA network device support? I had it included prior to removing the PCMCIA/CardBus support as displayed above. I reincluded that and excluded PCMCIA network device support. Hopefully that does the trick. Recompiling...

Woot!!! Yep, that did it! Finally, 2 months later, I finally am back on a roll with getting wireless network connectivity.

I'm still having difficulties with getting my WPC11 v3.0 802.11b PCMCIA wireless network card to function properly though. If you're able to help read https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=867563#867563 for details. Read starting from the last couple posts as the rest aren't important. Perhaps just start from page 2 even.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mizery de aria wrote:
Checking the kernel config again, was I supposed to remove the following instead?
Code:
Device Drivers -> Networking support -> Network device support -> [ ] PCMCIA network device support

I had it included prior to removing the PCMCIA/CardBus support as displayed above. I reincluded that and excluded PCMCIA network device support. Hopefully that does the trick. Recompiling...

[Update] Woot!!! Yep, that did it! Finally, 2 months later, I finally am back on a roll with getting wireless network connectivity.

I'm still having difficulties with getting my WPC11 v3.0 802.11b PCMCIA wireless network card to function properly though. If you're able to help read https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=867563#867563 for details. Read starting from the last couple posts as the rest aren't important. Perhaps just start from page 2 even.

Excellent tip there (some of the kernel options can be confusing). Glad to hear that you're back on track.

mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Device Drivers
  Networking support
    Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
      < > Hermes PCMCIA card support

Except when I include the above or load as a module, when I start PCMCIA the system freezes. Any ideas on what could be the cause? I need that loaded because my Linksys WPC11 v3.0 802.11b PCMCIA wireless network card requires the Orinoco_CS driver. I'm using the 2.6.3 kernel (mm-sources) and I reemerged PCMCIA-CS 3.2.7 after unemerging linux-wlan-ng (which I happened to have installed for some odd reason).
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mizery de aria wrote:
Code:
Device Drivers
  Networking support
    Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
      < > Hermes PCMCIA card support

Except when I include the above or load as a module, when I start PCMCIA the system freezes. Any ideas on what could be the cause? I need that loaded because my Linksys WPC11 v3.0 802.11b PCMCIA wireless network card requires the Orinoco_CS driver. I'm using the 2.6.3 kernel (mm-sources) and I reemerged PCMCIA-CS 3.2.7 after unemerging linux-wlan-ng (which I happened to have installed for some odd reason).

If you remove your ridiculous sig, then I'll tell you the answer.

mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, your sig is still unacceptable. ("Kill yourself"?)

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: